Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Bandit 600

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

Has anyone owned a Suzuki Bandit 600? I'm thinking of getting myself a cheap 400/600 and this seems to fit the bill. I also like the Honda Hornet but they seem a bit pricey'

If you had a grand for a 400/600 what would you go for and why?

Thanks guys.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits are heavy and underpowered. I'd rather have an SV personally because although you lose 10bhp, you also lose about 30kg which is not to be sniffed at.

Out of the four cylinder 600's from that era, the Hornet is pretty decent value, although it does have quite a short range. Out of the three, the Hornet is the best bike, but the SV can be had for pennies and so is possibly better value.

I used to want a Bandit when I was 18, but nowadays I realise they are big heavy bikes that are under powered, and they do suffer from rust. However, they are the most tuneable of the three by a small margin, and can fit GSXR1100 motors and things. The SV can be bored out safely to about 800cc if you feel inclined, but the suspension and brakes would need upgrading. The SV has the most handling potential IMO, but is hamstrung by cheap damper rod forks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for hornet. Sv has much more of a 'sporty' riding position than bandit or hornet.
If I had a grand I would wait until I found the best condition anything rather than pinning my hopes on 1 model.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t have an SV for free. Bandit 600 with a 750M or 1100 powerscreen lump shoehorned in. Cheap speed and BHP is always king.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:00 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I wouldn’t have an SV for free. Bandit 600 with a 750M or 1100 powerscreen lump shoehorned in. Cheap speed and BHP is always king.

We know your SV proclivities. But they can be sorted cheaper than buying a 750M or 1100 lump. Just need cartridge emulators on the forks, and bob's your uncle. There might even be some decent internals that can be swapped from other bikes. I reckon people in Minitwin racing would know about it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spotted an XT660R that's just about in the price range and only 7 miles away. I was never going to keep to my budget, no point trying to kid myself.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-xt-660r/1325874747?fbclid=IwAR1pkzgcm1nsLQ42XJiGhIcYBvNJ4AEXwkihvwRokAeJsqyGxep1gpkF6CA

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I've spotted an XT660R that's just about in the price range and only 7 miles away. I was never going to keep to my budget, no point trying to kid myself.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/yamaha-xt-660r/1325874747?fbclid=IwAR1pkzgcm1nsLQ42XJiGhIcYBvNJ4AEXwkihvwRokAeJsqyGxep1gpkF6CA

More fun than a Blandit Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I'd stick to the 90s or early 2000s as that's my preference. Just pissing about and not giving definitive answers here, as the only ones I'm sure about are choices 1 and 2, and only for me, not for everyone as general advice...

OK, my first choice would be split between the Yamaha FZR600 or XJ600 (pre-Div).

Why? Because I prefer old bikes, and these two are mechanically simple, genuine performance bikes made to a very high standard of quality. Fun to ride. You can still get a reasonable one (although not a good one) for under a grand if you look hard, and parts are standardised and cheap. Modification is easy but not necessary.

Second choice: XJ600S/N (Div) because I know them well. There are basically 2 versions in the UK: pre-'97 and post-'97. Mechanically simple bikes of adequate power, made to a very high standard of quality. You can get a good, low mileage one in good condition for less than a grand because they were considered undesirable. And the advantage is you can stock up on spare everything (incl. engines) for not much money. Very easily modified (just as well because you'll want to uprate brakes and shocks at the very least).

Third choice: Fazer 600, because these are good quality all-round bikes bought with the brain. You won't get a low-mileage for less than a grand though so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned them.

Fourth choice: Bandit 600 (first version) because in standard form these are ready to roll if you don't want to modify your bike to bring the performance and handling up to par. Like the others, easy to maintain and modify. Moderate build quality and finish by 90s standards. Should be able to get a moderate mileage one in otherwise reasonable cond for just under a grand.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have a Mk1 B6, did what I needed it to, was ok. But I've had one, wouldn't have another unless it was cheap or special.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:24 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Nah I'd rather go SV I reckon.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Has anyone owned a Suzuki Bandit 600? I'm thinking of getting myself a cheap 400/600 and this seems to fit the bill. I also like the Honda Hornet but they seem a bit pricey'

Thanks guys.

I commuted on a Bandit 1250 (not a 600 but I have ridden a 600 many times) all year for a number of years. Bandits are generally very reliable, cheap to maintain, engines are smooth, brakes are crap but can be fixed with EBC pads.

Just like any bike clean it now and then and use ACF50 in the winter and they will be fine.

The only issue I had and this would exist even with a Hornet is that naked bikes are truly hard work in the winter because of lack of wind protection.

The 600 has some top end power that makes it entertaining but the 1250 does not. What the 1250 have is train like torque from pretty much idle which makes it an excellent commuter. Both engines are bullet proof.

If you can get the half faired version of the 600/1200/1250 you should be fine. If I bought one today I would get the fully faired GSX 1250.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
I commuted on a Bandit 1250 (not a 600 but I have ridden a 600 many times) all year for a number of years. Bandits are generally very reliable, cheap to maintain, engines are smooth, brakes are crap but can be fixed with EBC pads.

1250 is a different proposition to a traditional oil boiler like a 600 bandit or a 1200 Bandit. The 650 Bandit is also water cooled I think.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
inline4 wrote:

1250 is a different proposition to a traditional oil boiler like a 600 bandit or a 1200 Bandit. The 650 Bandit is also water cooled I think.

Yes the 650 was water cooled also so the GSX650F could be an option.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:24 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a Bandit 6 and still own an SV650.

The Bandit 6 is heavy; hilariously so. The suspension and brakes are rudimentary at best. The SV has similar failing with regards to suspension and brakes, abut the chassis is signifcantly lighter and is much more responsive. The bandit engine is a nice lump though: there's a lot that can be done to them without danger of it grenading.

I know that it's traditional to rag on SVs here, but I like mine - with a GSXR shock and properly maintained brakes, it's not a bad bike at all. I still need to put the funds together for a proper suspension upgrade at some point, but in the here and now, it does what I want, and can still be fun.

I don't buy into the whole 'moar BHP' mantra that others do, and am usually quite happy with ~70bhp. I've ridden significatly more powerful bikes, and while the initial 'holy shit' moment of cracking the throttle open is always fun, it generally feels wasted if it's on the road.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:37 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For commuting or just for enjoyment?

I'd be looking at a mk1 bandit 12 rather than the 6. Otherwise SV/Fazer/thundercat/Zx6r.

For a grand though, condition over model 100%. Whatever was in the best nick, with the least amount of work doing for the price.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an sv you can have for under a grand

Faired one, new fork seals and overhauled brakes, new pads etc, 25k

Got a set of scrubs for it too

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:37 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:

05/06 (K5/K6) Bandits had the air/oil cooled engine. Later models
had the new liquid cooled engine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey struan80, buy any bike, you can't go wrong - you're coming from a cruiser Thumbs Up Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki Bandit 600 Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
inline4 wrote:

05/06 (K5/K6) Bandits had the air/oil cooled engine. Later models
had the new liquid cooled engine.

I actually thought the 650 was nicer, the 600 felt like an old bike. Both were ludicrously heavy though, I'd only have one if it was extremely cheap and I was desperate. They're a bit like pulling a fat bird, ideally you'd end up with something else Razz

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to hang about so have narrowed it down to two bikes, the XT660R that I posted before and a clean looking BMW F650GS. Going to see both tomorrow and it's most likely that I'll be coming home with one of them. I think I prefer the XT but only if my feet can touch the ground.

https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/_86_zps048tewic.jpg
Or
https://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy224/struan80/58899a0a1ca6462cb6e5170799c98397_zps5ndg6zxw.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decisions decisions!!!

Which one are you seeing first?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get the BMW you can be fwends with Rogerborg Wub

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to see the BMW first, it's got a low seat so maybe better for me.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:05 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, singles. No. Not as an only bike.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bandits are heavy and underpowered. I'd rather have an SV personally because although you lose 10bhp, you also lose about 30kg which is not to be sniffed at.

There isnt even 10hp in it, i've had two Sv's which have both made 73~whp, friend has a bandit which made 74whp on the same Dyno.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2