Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit: What do you think will happen?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Val can make the argument of it not being legally binding, he is accurate. You can and in fact do argue this is a technicality yet it doesn't falsify his claim.

https://fullfact.org/europe/was-eu-referendum-advisory/

I'm not arguing with him on that; see my reply above. Whether it was advisory or not is absolutely irrelevant.

The point is that:

4a) ... Parliament, by a large majority, decided to write the result of the referendum into law and voted for us to leave the EU.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
4a) ... Parliament, by a large majority, decided to write the result of the referendum into law and voted for us to leave the EU.

He can come back on that if he wishes. You care to clarify specifically?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdma - So what we need is a General Election, with one of the major parties advocating Brexit within its manifesto. Given that JC is the only current leader of significance who wants us to leave, I'd laugh my cock off if your only alternative was to vote Labour!!!!

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Mdma - So what we need is a General Election, with one of the major parties advocating Brexit within its manifesto. Given that JC is the only current leader of significance who wants us to leave, I'd laugh my cock off if your only alternative was to vote Labour!!!!

Could you imagine Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to be in the troll-corner because I have biscuits....

Mdma - you talk about Farage, but what about UKIP/YL as the new right party? Given your hero-worship for YL I can't understand why you don't see him as the obvious choice. Farage is a traitor surely, for flouncing....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

He can come back on that if he wishes. You care to clarify specifically?

Clarify what? I do still see his posts at the moment, you don't need to speak for him, BTW.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Given that JC is the only current leader of significance who wants us to leave, I'd laugh my cock off if your only alternative was to vote Labour!!!!

Eh? I think people are getting confused with how he's voted a few times and everything him and his party has said over the last couple of years. A Labour government would equal no Brexit in a heartbeat. It's a shame as they used to be all about the ordinary man in the street, now they seem to represent momentum and all the fringe groups.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The figures I posted before said the Tories were 56% remain iirc, Labour do apparently have some Brexiteers, but they're in the minority and seem to stay fairly quiet Smile I'd be surprised if they make up more than 25%.

May's only chance was letting David Davis do his job and getting a deal which satisfied the Tory Brexiteers, DUP and one that the remaining Tories could get behind. That ship has sailed.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Clarify what? I do still see his posts at the moment, you don't need to speak for him, BTW.

I know yet some got caught up on that hence my interjection as well as a nod to the counter, It's more for myself in that sense, if a claim is made I just want a source pointed to for specificity, I might learn something new etc Thumbs Up .

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

I know yet some got caught up on that hence my interjection as well as a nod to the counter, It's more for myself in that sense, if a claim is made I just want a source pointed to for specificity, I might learn something new etc Thumbs Up .

What? I don't understand. Do you want a pointer to the result of the vote on the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill?

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I think Val's idea of democracy is that we ignore referendum results, in which case there isn't any point in ever holding one Neutral

Absolutely spot on. UK never have been designed for referendums.

UK is Parliamentary democracy. It is your idea for democracy that UK must have 1 advisory referendum based on fraud each 40 years.

This article explains clearly what is the problem:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/take-it-from-the-swiss-the-brexit-referendum-wasnt-legitimate

The real problem is not only the referendum been advisory, the lack of CLEARLY defined objectives making the referendum useless.

And please don't do again - we know for what we have voted, because NOBODY was fucking knowing about the 500 pages deal that May is trying to sign. And if the UK leaves there will be about 7000 more pages that explain in details what will be the actual trade deal with all details and implications.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
UK never have been designed for referendums.

UK is Parliamentary democracy. It is your idea for democracy that UK must have 1 advisory referendum based on fraud each 40 years.
Hand
Quote:
Since 1973 there have been eleven referendums held in the UK.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/elections/referendums-held-in-the-uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Val has worked out by now that his anti-democratic and pro-EU rhetoric comes as no surprise.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Val wrote:
UK never have been designed for referendums.

Hand
Quote:
Since 1973 there have been eleven referendums held in the UK.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/elections/referendums-held-in-the-uk/

Only 3 UK-wide ones. Good work posting your source of factual information!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree it's a poor way to govern though. It suggests a weak Parliament.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I do agree it's a poor way to govern though. It suggests a weak Parliament.

And we have the weakest parliament that I have seen in my 62 years on this planet.

Even when we had a bad parliament/leader we had an opposition that gave us some choice. We haven't even got that now, that are all bad, self centered scum that put themselves before the country.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Even when we had a bad parliament/leader we had an opposition that gave us some choice. We haven't even got that now, that are all bad, self centered scum that put themselves before the country.

In which sense, I think they are very representative of people today as a whole.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna jump in with a newish prediction - some interesting admissions from MPs prompting me..

Mays deal is blocked.
May drops in Plan B: Delay leaving the EU for a year. Tells everyone it'll allow time to clarify things and understand the process better (bollox I know).
That extra year allows a new political party to be created. The new party is run by Farage and some other 'interesting' people. The new party speak plain language to the people of the UK and the people side with them - basically leave without a deal because that's what the people want.
A general election is somehow (yeah I know it's DR Who script writing) forced upon us. Farage and his plain speaking party slay the two main partys and he wins.

(I reckon I have at least one thing correct in that lot)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

That extra year allows a new political party to be created. The new party is run by Farage and some other 'interesting' people.

Farage is a one-trick pony. And he has played his hand and retired from the game.
Also, he divides opinion too much. If further time is needed for campaigning, a new party needs to be led by someone who can convince more people that the UK can make a good go of things outside of the EU. No amount of time or new parties will achieve anything more if the divisions remain as they are.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Farage comes at us with a new party he will need to position it somewhere on the economic spectrum to be valid. He will also have to line up deals with other countries to show us exactly what will happen if we leave the EU, otherwise we are no further forward....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 243, 244, 245 ... 521, 522, 523  Next
Page 244 of 523