Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No Log Book on purchase ??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

LearnerLEGAL
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:35 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: No Log Book on purchase ?? Reply with quote

I've bought my first bike - a 2nd hand Honda CBF125 and loving it.

Though, the shop I bought it from (a Honda retailer) said they couldn't hand over the Log book because of GDPR rules as it has all the old owners info in it.
Has anyone else come across this before?

They showed the log book to prove it existed but said they couldn't hand it over.

Last edited by LearnerLEGAL on 13:11 - 19 Nov 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like they lost/don't have it and are making up an excuse, the info could easily be redacted.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not supposed to give you the V5, just the new keeper's section (sec 10) and then either make the change of keeper declaration online there and then or post the old V5 off with the new keeper declaration made on it. You ride away with section 10 in your pocket as proof of keepership.

When I bought the KTM this was all done on a computer whilst we sat there - I then did the tax online whilst I was at it.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Sounds to me like they lost/don't have it and are making up an excuse, the info could easily be redacted.

LearnerLEGAL wrote:
They showed the log book to prove it existed but said they couldn't hand it over.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:57 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Re: No Log Book on purchase ?? Reply with quote

LearnerLEGAL wrote:
Though, the shop I bought it from (a Honda retailer) said they couldn't hand over the Log book because of GDPR rules as it has all the old owners info in it.

But they did the change of keeper online and so your V5 is on its way to you in the post?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:02 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy a road-reghistered motorvehicle; it has a V5 Registration Document detailing the registration details.

The vehicle 'keeper', responsible for paying the tax, should have that document.

When you go to buy a vehicle, the seller should make that 'full' document available for you to view.

So you can 'check' that the vehicle you are buying, matches what's registered; eg; if it says its 'red' on the V5, is the bike actually 'red'? if it says it's a Honda, it's not a Yamaha; you can match the VIN number on the V5 to that on the head-stock of the bike, to be sure it is that actual specific Red-Honda, etc etc etc...

The number of former 'keepers' is also recorded, along with the name and address of the current one, and the one before. So you may check the sellers 'Claims' its only had one very careful lady owner, and query the twenty three others, probably not so careful ones noted on the V5.

As far as Data-Protection goes, there's more chuffing 'personal information' in an efin telephone directory... but that asside....

If buying 'private' its another confidence check, that if the keeper's address is stated as say "22 Arcacia Avenue, Dunstable, that that is where you are looking at the bike and paperwork... not somewhere in Liverpool! Which probably aught raise spidey-senses!

If buying from a dealer... then obviousely wont match; take your chances...

But... you aught be 'shown' the V5..... AND more you fill out YOUR details on V5, and keep the "New-Keepers-Slip" tear-off from the bottom; seller is obliged to send the remainder of the V5 back to DVLA to change the registration details, from the seller's to yours, and then DVLA send YOU a new V5 with your details on it.

So, no, unlike in days of yore, when you got given the 'old' V5 by the seller, and it was up to you to send it to DVLA to get a new one with your details on it... the seller SHOULDN'T give you the V5 when you buy the bike.... just the New-Keepers-Slip tear off from the bottom.

And actually in their interests to send V5 off themselves, cos as said, the registered keeper, take note; its actually in big warning on the form itself, "Is not the legal owner"... just the person responsible for paying the tax.... so, you take V5 away, and DONT return to DVLA they would still get the tax demands and any speeding tickets etc you cranked up.... SO the seller keeps the V5 and sends it to DVLA to be sure that their 'responsibility' for the vehicle is ended...

All you get to keep is the 'New-Keeper-Slip' which has minimal info on it, like make, model, and colour, I think VIN no, that you can show an insurance company or plod etc, until the new V5 with your reg details on it pops through the letter box.

Borrox all to do with Data-Protection... that's the system as contrived by DVLA.... you should be shown the old V5 you dont get to keep it, you get a new one from DVLA when they process the change over details.

A-N-D a 'dealer' who presumably does this for a living, many times a week, REALY should KNOW this far better than I do, who's sold.... oooh... maybe five bikes in my entire life time, and riding career of 40 effin years!!!! So why they giving you blarny about Data-Protection?! DOESN'T really instill huge confidence.... but there you go....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
owl wrote:

LearnerLEGAL wrote:

post was edited after I commented but thanks

LearnerLEGAL
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:26 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
When you buy a road-reghistered motorvehicle; it has a V5 Registration Document detailing the registration details.

The vehicle 'keeper', responsible for paying the tax, should have that document.

When you go to buy a vehicle, the seller should make that 'full' document available for you to view.

So you can 'check' that the vehicle you are buying, matches what's registered; eg; if it says its 'red' on the V5, is the bike actually 'red'? if it says it's a Honda, it's not a Yamaha; you can match the VIN number on the V5 to that on the head-stock of the bike, to be sure it is that actual specific Red-Honda, etc etc etc...

The number of former 'keepers' is also recorded, along with the name and address of the current one, and the one before. So you may check the sellers 'Claims' its only had one very careful lady owner, and query the twenty three others, probably not so careful ones noted on the V5.

As far as Data-Protection goes, there's more chuffing 'personal information' in an efin telephone directory... but that asside....

If buying 'private' its another confidence check, that if the keeper's address is stated as say "22 Arcacia Avenue, Dunstable, that that is where you are looking at the bike and paperwork... not somewhere in Liverpool! Which probably aught raise spidey-senses!

If buying from a dealer... then obviousely wont match; take your chances...

But... you aught be 'shown' the V5..... AND more you fill out YOUR details on V5, and keep the "New-Keepers-Slip" tear-off from the bottom; seller is obliged to send the remainder of the V5 back to DVLA to change the registration details, from the seller's to yours, and then DVLA send YOU a new V5 with your details on it.

So, no, unlike in days of yore, when you got given the 'old' V5 by the seller, and it was up to you to send it to DVLA to get a new one with your details on it... the seller SHOULDN'T give you the V5 when you buy the bike.... just the New-Keepers-Slip tear off from the bottom.

And actually in their interests to send V5 off themselves, cos as said, the registered keeper, take note; its actually in big warning on the form itself, "Is not the legal owner"... just the person responsible for paying the tax.... so, you take V5 away, and DONT return to DVLA they would still get the tax demands and any speeding tickets etc you cranked up.... SO the seller keeps the V5 and sends it to DVLA to be sure that their 'responsibility' for the vehicle is ended...

All you get to keep is the 'New-Keeper-Slip' which has minimal info on it, like make, model, and colour, I think VIN no, that you can show an insurance company or plod etc, until the new V5 with your reg details on it pops through the letter box.

Borrox all to do with Data-Protection... that's the system as contrived by DVLA.... you should be shown the old V5 you dont get to keep it, you get a new one from DVLA when they process the change over details.

A-N-D a 'dealer' who presumably does this for a living, many times a week, REALY should KNOW this far better than I do, who's sold.... oooh... maybe five bikes in my entire life time, and riding career of 40 effin years!!!! So why they giving you blarny about Data-Protection?! DOESN'T really instill huge confidence.... but there you go....

This is amazing!! Thank you so much for spelling this out for me in such detail. Makes much more sense, never knew how this worked. Much appreciated.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

The number of former 'keepers' is also recorded, along with the name and address of the current one, and the one before.

Does GDPR not mean that DVLA will have to rejig their V5 and remove the previous owner details from the V5 that they send the new owner?

Edit: Or does this mean that fr dealership bought bikes the new V5 will list the dealership details as the last owner?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:09 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's already happened. Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can't contact the last owner anymore?? Who thought that was a good idea?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 19 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were not given the green new owners slip which has been mentioned and your new log book doesn't show after 6 weeks, it will cost you £25 for a replacement. If the new log book fails to show up (after 6 weeks) and you actually have that new keepers slip then you can get a replacement for free.

This explains better:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
So you can't contact the last owner anymore?? Who thought that was a good idea?

Why would you need to?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even email addresses come under this data protection crap. Theoretically you can't pass anyone's private email address onto someone else. You can give them the physical address though. Rolling Eyes

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
W

The number of former 'keepers' is also recorded.

I think BCFers should get an old 125 hack and pass it round and round between themselves in an attempt to get a record for the number of former owners on a V5.

Get 1,000 maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
W

The number of former 'keepers' is also recorded.

I think BCFers should get an old 125 hack and pass it round and round between themselves in an attempt to get a record for the number of former owners on a V5.

Get 1,000 maybe?

Would we actually own it and ride it? Maybe sign it? Or just pass ownership around (a lot easier).
How long does it take to sort out all the documentation, i.e having the new forms ready to sell the bike again? Whatever that minimum time is x 1000 could take some time!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

New v5 comes out to you without former keeper on it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Get 1,000 maybe?

Would we actually own it and ride it? Maybe sign it? Or just pass ownership around (a lot easier).
How long does it take to sort out all the documentation, i.e having the new forms ready to sell the bike again? Whatever that minimum time is x 1000 could take some time!

probably just pass paperwork around, and it could go very wrong, so would just need a couple of trusted people to ping it back and forth and where is the fun in that Crying or Very sad

stupid idea, I should shut up
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1