Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Volumetric concrete delivery/cost.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Volumetric concrete delivery/cost. Reply with quote

I'm considering having 3 cubic metres of C20 concrete delivered, pumped, distance from road to site about 25 metres. Buckinghamshire. Anyone here got any experience of such things?

The alternative is to have about 7 bags of ballast and 38 bags of cement delivered, my guess £450, barrow it the distance, and chuck it through my cement mixer.... ugh. I'd rather hear someone talk about pumped volumetric concrete.

Hm?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally a part load will cost more per cubic metre, been doing a fair bit here the past year and 6 cubic metres are about £750
You will likely find the cost is similar to buying the stuff and borrowing or hiring a mixer.
In other words you are paying for convenience with readymix.

On the other hand dealing with a lot of concrete in a short time is not for the faint hearted.
Things can go wrong like shuttering moving or mucking up the calculation.
3 cubic metres is not a lot to do by hand and you needn't be rushed.
Depends how fit you are and who you have to help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like to hand batch and lay 3 cubes, that's 7 tonnes of concrete.

OP: why are you choosing C20? Not a very strong mix.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

It doesn't need to be a very strong mix.

I was asking whether anyone has experience of having concrete delivered by volumetric mixer, like this promo film:

https://youtu.be/Fy5VfLm1yWU

If I have to mix it, it's not going to be done in a day....

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have it delivered by volumetric mixer all the time, though not with the integrated pump, never even seen one of those.

First consideration is that those wagons are VERY heavy - over 40 tonnes and they have a high ground loading because they are very squat. Just look at the tyres on the one in the video. They'll sink the pavement, collapse drains and get stuck in even medium ground so consider the access very carefully if you're going to use one.

Dunno how happy Northvale would be with that video showing them running suspended hoses across a public footway AND washing them down into a watercourse. That's a big no-no.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
We have it delivered by volumetric mixer all the time, though not with the integrated pump, never even seen one of those.

First consideration is that those wagons are VERY heavy - over 40 tonnes and they have a high ground loading because they are very squat. Just look at the tyres on the one in the video. They'll sink the pavement, collapse drains and get stuck in even medium ground so consider the access very carefully if you're going to use one.

Dunno how happy Northvale would be with that video showing them running suspended hoses across a public footway AND washing them down into a watercourse. That's a big no-no.

Yes, I noticed the people stepping over the hose & washing the hoses... norty rascals.

Yes, the mixer would have to park on the road, and run the hose to the destination.

I'll try & get in touch with a local-ish firm and see what they say.

The alternative is I guess lay the concrete in two or three slabs, jointed, but.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many suppliers will have the pump integrated, they'll tell you that you have to hire a pump (which is another big lorry plus operator and a good few hundred quid for half a day). I don't know of any anyway.

Laying 3 cubes as a slab you're going to need joints anyway so don't worry about that.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Laying 3 cubes as a slab you're going to need joints anyway so don't worry about that.

5.1m by 6.1m approx. Maybe in three sections 1/2/3, lay sections 1 & 3 then infill with joggle joints for simplicity. Maybe use some fabric mesh instead. Unsure. It's going to have a prefabricated concrete building on it. Oh, and some motorbikes.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Volumetric concrete delivery/cost. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
The alternative is to have about 7 bags of ballast and 38 bags of cement delivered, and chuck it through my cement mixer....

Do let us know how that works out for you.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that. It's not that difficult but it does give you a decent workout. Here's a picture - there's another pallet off camera. I had to move it 50m - I decided to barrow it after mixing.

https://www.amigo.co.uk/obsy/10.JPG

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Pete. wrote:

5.1m by 6.1m approx. Maybe in three sections 1/2/3, lay sections 1 & 3 then infill with joggle joints for simplicity. Maybe use some fabric mesh instead. Unsure. It's going to have a prefabricated concrete building on it. Oh, and some motorbikes.

So you're putting down a 100mm thick slab? Be alright for a pre-fab garage if the substrate's good though I'd put a layer of mesh in it.

You're doing hardcore, wacker, blinding, wacker, DPM first, right?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
So you're putting down a 100mm thick slab? Be alright for a pre-fab garage if the substrate's good though I'd put a layer of mesh in it.

You're doing hardcore, wacker, blinding, wacker, DPM first, right?

I was going to dig out, tamp the soil with a steel-headed tamper that BT thoughtfully gave to me, and just go on that. The soil is free-draining, firm, and slightly gritty, and it hasn't been touched for 30 years at least. I might go a bit thicker than 100mm but not a lot.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're confident that the ground is stable enough for the slab to go right on it then why not but don't even think about putting it down without a DPM. 1000GSM black poly or similar. If you have to lap it be generous with the overlap.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-membrane-black-1000ga-4-x-15m/22842

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If you're confident that the ground is stable enough for the slab to go right on it then why not but don't even think about putting it down without a DPM. 1000GSM black poly or similar. If you have to lap it be generous with the overlap.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-damp-proof-membrane-black-1000ga-4-x-15m/22842

Oh! I'm not confident about anything! I'm learning a bit though, which I'm always interested in....

I was wondering about DPM. Is the purpose to stop the concrete drying unevenly, or to be an actual DPM? I had an unfortunate camping trip once, when my dad, with the best of intentions, pitched our tent on a big bit of DPM he'd got left over. It rained. The rain ran very quickly inside, rather than being able to drain away. I wouldn't want my slab to be effectively inside a paddling pool like that!

Bitumen emulsion DPM on top, with laminate floor over? A friend has a huge pile of good laminate floor he might part with.

Any ideas or observations most welcome.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPM is for under the slab to isolate the slab from the ground during curing and afterwards. No need for any other membrane so long as your ground level outside is all below the slab level.

If your garage is 6x5 then 6.1x5.1 is not big enough. Add at least 250mm each way IMHO and be very sure you have it staked out square.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
DPM is for under the slab to isolate the slab from the ground during curing and afterwards. No need for any other membrane so long as your ground level outside is all below the slab level.

If your garage is 6x5 then 6.1x5.1 is not big enough. Add at least 250mm each way IMHO and be very sure you have it staked out square.

Height is an issue. It would be lovely to just plonk the thing on top (after removing turf, weeds etc.), but don't think I can (planning), so it will have to be "mostly below surface". Do I need to bring the DPM up the sides?

Another thought - would it be better to have a thicker section of slab around the perimiter?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Height is an issue. It would be lovely to just plonk the thing on top (after removing turf, weeds etc.), but don't think I can (planning), so it will have to be "mostly below surface". Do I need to bring the DPM up the sides?

Another thought - would it be better to have a thicker section of slab around the perimiter?

Yes and yes.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:51 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because some of it is being dug in to the slope, the best way of doing it may be to dig out an area larger than you think you need, then retain the exposed verticals with blockwork. You can then lay your slab with finished floor level a few mm above the ground on the elevation containing the doors. I'd fill the gap between the retaining element and the slab with gravel because it drains well.

Alternatively, to avoid having to pour extra concrete for your retaining element, you could go for a bigger slab and build your blockwork straight off it. Depends how much you have to do....

One thing to watch - irrespective of whether the building itself needs planning permission, if the Council finds out that you have plant on site (even a Bobcat), it can describe the works as an 'engineering operation' which needs planning permission by virtue of this alone. In all discussions with the Council, be it Planning or Building Control, say that you will be hand-digging....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Pulverise one's paving slabs... Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 96 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1