Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOT Fails X 3 - Grrrrr

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:57 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: MOT Fails X 3 - Grrrrr Reply with quote

GSXR 1000 K3 failed MOT Friday gone. Work all done, £190 lighter but full years MOT.

Failed on three things.
1. Back break switch wasn't activating break light (I check this nearly every time I ride. Bad luck I suppose. New switch fitted)

2. Reflector on rear number plate or there lack of.

3. Aftermarket HID headlight beam.

Number 3 was where all the labor charges were. When I bought the bike from RightBike last year they put a full years MOT on it for me so I didn't even consider the front head light being an issue. It wasn't just that it was a HID it was more that it had no focus for them to test it. It was just outputting this brilliant white light that lit the whole world up which I thought was fab for getting seen. I guess the guy in the MX5 in front of me wasn't too happy though.

Anyway, I'm now back to a normal dipped beam with the HID now in my main beam.

The wife went a bit crazy when I told her how much it cost. Before the MOT I did the head bearings and brake pads all round so that saved £200.

Just need some nice weather now.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:36 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

An HID bulb in a non-HID lamp is now a specific and automatic MOT fail.

It wasn't this time last year.

I predict further epic quantities of butthurt over this in the coming year.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 & 2...

User error. Should have picked this up before you took it.. Rolling Eyes

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAKE*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:30 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I predict further epic quantities of butthurt over this in the coming year.

Yes it'll be funny. I seem to remember something about engine management warning lights as well.

In other news, my bike pissed through its mot due to planning and checking everything was fine over a few weeks beforehand.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:38 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
due to planning and checking

You mean smacking it with a hammer?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:42 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
due to planning and checking

You mean smacking it with a hammer?

If I wasn't supposed to smack things with a hammer god wouldn't given me several, of different weights.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
1 & 2...

To be fair, I had a rear brake switch fail on me, it was working on the day but decided to pack up at the MOT station.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
iooi wrote:
1 & 2...

To be fair, I had a rear brake switch fail on me, it was working on the day but decided to pack up at the MOT station.

Same thing happened to me at the last MOT. Fuckers must be haunted.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:40 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst not 'wanting' to hijack post, what's the issue with brake light switch? Touch sensitive or certain foot pounds of pressure?

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:29 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 1 & 2 should have been sorted by me. I was so busy doing head bearings, new indicators, brake pads and the like I must have missed it.

You may also notice that in the last sentence I wrote 'BRAKE' correctly.

I have no excuse other than the instinctive nature of my typing habits to get this wrong every time I type it.

forgive me.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

1. Back break switch wasn't activating break light (I check this nearly every time I ride. Bad luck I suppose. New switch fitted)

I prep'd a moped for mot and rode it there, great fun and it would do nearly 40mph!!! even if it was restricted to 30 by design.

Got to the testing station all fine and left it for its test. I came back about an hour later and he said " I couldnt test it cos the back wheels flat!!"

Bugger me, i rode it there

Last edited by bikenut on 11:15 - 15 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

I prep'd a moped for mot and rode it there, great fun and it would do nearly 40mph!!! even if it was restricted to 30 by design.

Got to the testing station all fine and left it for its test. I came back about an hour later and he said " I couldnt test it cos the back wheels flat!!"

Last edited by bikenut on 11:16 - 15 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
forgive me.

alas - that we cannot do, my brother

forgiveness is a judeo-christian doctrine, and we bikers are of a distinctly pagan hue

speaketh we may of redemption, but not while the coals of error still glow

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 10:52 - 15 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

Last edited by bikenut on 11:16 - 15 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

dam computer is not fully awake yet, its not me i promise.....

anyways the guy loans me some tools so i take off the back wheel and go home by bus. I fixed the puncture and went back the next day, fitted the rear wheel etc. and it sailed thru an mot.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: MOT Fails X 3 - Grrrrr Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:

The wife went a bit crazy when I told her how much it cost...

You did what ??!! Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Whilst not 'wanting' to hijack post, what's the issue with brake light switch? Touch sensitive or certain foot pounds of pressure?

Depends if you have drum or disc.

Drum brakes have more lever movement and I think there needs to be a certain amount of movement allowed to get a pass. The switch has to be re-adjusted when you adjust the chain because it can affect the switch.
Also depends if your brake lever is set properly in the first place for the brakes to even work.

On Disc, depends on how much lever movement you have to start with, different bikes have different amounts of movement.

I kept this brief because I didn't want to do a tef...

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:52 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

Nice and easy spot for the MOT tester to get his screwdriver in and writhe around so he can add an extra £50 to the bill for repair plus the retest fee? Or I'm just being cynical.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGazWaz wrote:
Yeah 1 & 2 should have been sorted by me. I was so busy doing head bearings, new indicators, brake pads and the like I must have missed it.

You may also notice that in the last sentence I wrote 'BRAKE' correctly.

I have no excuse other than the instinctive nature of my typing habits to get this wrong every time I type it.

forgive me.

He's only helping you out.
If for example, you search a site for parts and put in 'Break Pads', you will find they are all out of stock.

Personal improvement is ongoing, don't apologise, just improve and move on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dysfunctional brake light switches need a spray of WD40 and a wiggle.

My local MOT guy knows this. He fails it then sprays/wiggles, then passes it on the re-test.

I have an MOT so he has a happy customer. VOSA see him failing vehicles so they don't come and inspect him.

Mind you. Last time I took my 350 bullet for an MOT, he got to the back wheel and said "What the fuck do you call that!?" as he wobbled it from side to side. Must have been a good inch of sideways play at the rim. Wheel bearings had totally collapsed on the way there. I had noticed it shimmying a little on the last couple of corners but had put it down to diesel on the road.

As it happened, I had a spare set of bearings and all the tools to change them (less a hammer) on the bike so I fixed them in his carpark.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

Vosa will visit even if you don't fail enough

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even got an advisory from my place, they must get investigated all the time Smile

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: mot Reply with quote

Locally even a farm is a testing station, wtf vosa!!!

They are very busy people and are out and about all over the place.....this can only increase as more vehicles become mot exempt, a really stupid idea imho.

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:45 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

As it happened, I had a spare set of bearings and all the tools to change them (less a hammer) on the bike so I fixed them in his carpark.

I only just read this but wanted to come back and give a "what the fuck?" of disbelief.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2