Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problems locking a Givi 340 to its rack

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

HanzoKarai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Problems locking a Givi 340 to its rack Reply with quote

Can anyone help? I bought a yamaha ybr custom from someone on gumtree, absolutely no problem with the bike itself but the givi 340 monolock topbox that came with the bike is giving me hassle as far as locking it to its plate goes. The box itself locks fine but I can't seem to be able to lock the box to the rack/bike!!😣😣😣

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a monolock rack?
Does the locking mechanism on the bottom of the box move freely, WD40 or similar will help free it up if it's stiff.
What condition is the locking stub on the rack?

Those are the only three things that affect the locking action on the monolock system, if it's any consolation mine was always tight and needed a good slam.

HanzoKarai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:57 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed!! Part way through fixing the issue now tho!! So I’d checked a few forums and none of the suggested solutions I found worked, (the box clicks into place but didn’t lock to rack when box was locked closed) so in the end I dismantled the locking mechanism and found that the button that locks box to rack was broken!!! (A tiny piece of plastic that fits into a slot thus stopping the box from being removed from bike) I dug out my epoxy and have put it back together!! Hopefully once it’s fully cured and sanded down a little all will be well!!!
Thanks a bunch for the speedy response tho bud!!Wink happy riding!!
Hanzo.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HanzoKarai wrote:
(A tiny piece of plastic that fits into a slot thus stopping the box from being removed from bike) I dug out my epoxy and have put it back together!! Hopefully once it’s fully cured and sanded down a little all will be well!!!

A hint. If that has happened. Be aware it may well fail while you are moving....
quite funny watching a top box grind its way down the road.....

Get a couple of bolts and get it solidly fixed

HanzoKarai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:11 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I thought that may happen, so I’ve ordered a new box. To be fair though if it does fail, it shouldn’t come off the bike, the part that broke is the latch that locks the box to the bike so it can’t be removed without the key. The mechanism that allows the box to be slotted into the rack is actually ok, was literally the lock that was broke so hopefully that won’t be a problem!!! Though in retrospect if someone wanted to steal the box it would probably only take a good strong push or a good tap with a hammer I suspect to break the mechanism...... will probably just swap the box out wen new one comes!!Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1