Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Religion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got news for Donk, it's not even been 30 years since that same stance was here in the UK. How civilised we are eh?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
jnw010 wrote:
The most successful and liberal societies that have ever existed are based on Christian morals.

You might not like the church as an organisation or the judgemental piousness of some of it's adherents, but as a general moral code Christianity scores some points. Shocked

Sorry but that's absolute bollocks, the church had times when it was just as bad as all the rest, so Christian morals mean jack all. People use whatever religion is at hand to justify whatever bad shit they want to get up to.

My point was that you need to segregate the church as an organisation from the moral teachings. The underlying basis for our society in the UK is Christianity, but the UK has never been run by the church.

Lord Percy wrote:
The most successful and liberal societies tend to be those with an economy strong and established enough for people to stop relying on faith for security and happiness.

I'm not sure that argument makes sense. Successful societies are successful because they have a strong and established economy, and those societies are liberal because nobody believes in any God.
How did those societies develop strong and established economies, and what was the basis for society while that was happening?

Alternatively, Saudi Arabia has a strong and stable economy (fck ton of oil and very rich). It is not a liberal society. With all that money do they need to rely on faith for security and happiness? Why isn't it the most progressive society on earth?

My thoughts on it is that there are moral codes that we accept as the norm now, which historically just weren't. These ways of living were wrapped up as religions at some point and spread and enforced by their organisations: church, mosque, synagogue etc. Out of all flavours the countries that were predominantly Christian have progressed further than others in respect of modern day personal freedoms and living standards.
The view that religion has held humanity back for thousands of years doesn't ring true to me.
Now if you said that some extreme religions are trying to take humanity back thousands of years..... Wink

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
. The underlying basis for our society in the UK is Christianity, but the UK has never been run by the church.

The running of the UK has been heavily overseen by the church through the ages though.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenya is a majority Christian Country (something like 80%)
Al-Shabaab claimed that the attack was "a response to US President Donald Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel"

lol so all Trumpet's fault.
Probably Brexit to blame too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Al-Shabaab claimed that the attack was "a response to US President Donald Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel"

A rather tenuous link, but then this is religion so probably correct.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
bhinso wrote:

Most Muslim terrorism is carried out in mainly Christian countries by a Muslim minority though, isn’t it?

I would say there's a good deal more Islamic terrorism against muslims and non muslims in their own countries. We're just overspill.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I would say there's a good deal more Islamic terrorism against muslims and non muslims in their own countries. We're just overspill.

Pretty much, a Shia kills a Sunni (or vice versa) and no one cares, a Christian is targeted and people get all Helen Lovejoy over it. I see it as sky fairy on sky fairy Folded arms

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Is it terrorism or civil war in their own countries though? A lot of that is one flavor of third world fuckwit, tribe of Muslims against another.

It's terrorism if you define it by the tactics used, wherever it is prosecuted. It may be within a civil, or rather religious war context, but it's still terrorism if you take it apparently arbitrarily into the midst of a civilian population.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:01 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Is it terrorism or civil war in their own countries though? A lot of that is one flavor of third world fuckwit, tribe of Muslims against another.

How does it being against muslims mean it's not islamist terrorism? . for example were the IRA terrorists when they exploded Irish police? or only when they blew up non Irish people what about those IRA that were technically british citizens? that's note an poke but a genuine question about where you see the distinction.

Of course you may feel that you wouldn't care if they didn't do it here (which is fair enough)

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Pretty much, a Shia kills a Sunni (or vice versa) and no one cares, a Christian is targeted and people get all Helen Lovejoy over it. I see it as sky fairy on sky fairy Folded arms

With one sky fairy saying don't judge your fellow man and play nice, while the other one says death to all non-believers.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

If they target Infidels in non Muslim countries, there's no doubt that it's Islamic terrorism for me.

If ISIS managed to land an invasion fleet on our south coast, all fully armed to the teeth, and proceeded to attack military installations and centres of communication etc, is that terrorism? It would still fit the criteria you have given above.
It's just a question of using definitions correctly, doesn't need to change what you think about certain groups or ideologies.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If ISIS managed to land an invasion fleet on our south coast

I thought they had Razz

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/54E3/production/_105013712_migrant_dinghy.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

If ISIS managed to land an invasion fleet on our south coast, all fully armed to the teeth, and proceeded to attack military installations and centres of communication etc, is that terrorism? It would still fit the criteria you have given above.
It's just a question of using definitions correctly, doesn't need to change what you think about certain groups or ideologies.

No, because they’d be targeting military, not civilian infidels.

Well, yes, the definition means targeting civilians as it is generally accepted, but my point is, it is not given where this has to happen. The idea behind terrorist attacks is that you don't know when and where they will strike, and therefore cannot organise a ready response to the threat, hence the terror aspect. This happens in Kabul as much as in London or Manchester or Paris. They might well take out people who believe in their cause, even in Kabul, as all too often occurs. With a suicide vest in the middle of a busy city street, you can't know who you'll kill.

I think civil war is a wider definition that can encompass acts of terrorism. And even civil war can spill beyond borders.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point.

All the angst and the root of it is religion.
We have real things to argue about.
The unenlightened who cling to religion have my pity.
They will not be swayed from their chosen path to oblivion by reason.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So terrorism as the IRA carried out wasn't really terrorism, because they're both a different flavour of sky fairy following?

That's basically what Donk is saying right, given Muslim on Muslim is just that, despite the different flavours being attacked because they follow the inferior flavour compared to the attacker? Yes?

What a time to be alive, my signature has never sat better.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
So terrorism as the IRA carried out wasn't really terrorism, because they're both a different flavour of sky fairy following?

That's basically what Donk is saying right, given Muslim on Muslim is just that, despite the different flavours being attacked because they follow the inferior flavour compared to the attacker? Yes?

What a time to be alive, my signature has never sat better.

It's not much to do with the times as we are human and it is in our genes to be competitive. (Or our genes are competitive)

The astonishing fact is that we have never had as much information freely available to the masses but still there are feeble minded folk who think 'this' existence is the transitory step to everlasting happiness.

Tip for any time wasting wankers : Buy a motorbike, ride it fast and race towards your maker ensuring that you only take yourself and freakie friends with you of course.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKIP 2019 STFU, can you not be abusive?

Do you have anger issues?

You can get help.

Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs. -Proverbs 19:11

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. -James 1:19-20

Do to others as you would like them to do to you. -Luke 6:31

I'm sure there is a peaceful side to you. Go with grace.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7