Ultra Low Emission Zone in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Bath is consulting (which of course means has already decided to go ahead with) about its own proposed clean air moneyspinner.

https://www.bathnes.gov.uk/bath-breathes-2021-overview

Quote:
Vehicles that would be charged in the zone
Drivers of the following higher emission vehicles would be charged to drive in the zone because they do not meet the minimum emissions standards:

Pre-Euro 6 diesel vehicles, including hybrids (older than approx. 2015)
Pre-Euro 4 petrol vehicles, including hybrids (older than approx. 2006)
National and proposed local exemptions would apply. In addition, local concessions would give certain groups more time to adapt.

Tip of the iceberg but in the short term basically everybody with a diesel older than 2015 Shocked is paying £9
quid a day to drive round Bath. My 2012 Transit connect 1.8TDi is DPF equipped and that's considered too dirty
and old for Bath, so there is going to be a LOT of people with older tattier vehicles than that which will have
in effect become worthless overnight. My van is just 6 years old and has many 1000's of miles and usage left in it.
What they are saying in effect is that you can't keep a vehicle for more than 6 years before its effectively just scrap.
So I scrap a perfectly serviceable van, and buy a new one. Will the new one be manufactured with zero environmental
impact? Course not! I'd love to see the figures for how much emissions one vehicles manufacture causes and
how that weighs up against continuing to use my existing van for 6 more years. I bet buying a new van does more
damage than keeping the old one.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 27 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when my old transit is exported to a shithole country, with no MOT checks to ensure a minimum standard of repair is
maintained will it not still be pumping out the same crap into the same sky as before? While additionally it steadily deteriorates
into African vehicle standards and is used and abused without mercy running on whatever it will burn until every panel has
been replaced with corrugated iron and the ends of oil drums? It's not fixing the problem, it's moving it elsewhere.

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:
Yep, where have you been this last few years?! Yes, it is shit news, but it's most definitely not new news. Yes, are decent, solid, robust, economical, reliable and cheap to insure bikes are all being penalised unjustly and unfairly (compared to other more polluting vehicles). Yes, it's all happening, and no it's too late for any exception like MAG have managed to win against the Birmingham emission zone.

Just moved up from my old Fazer as I work in central congestion zone, got a slightly newer FZ6 S2, so far doing the job grand and didn't break the bank. Probably end up taking the old FZS600 to family up North to flog, as it's clearly only worth £200...

I've been 'away'. Are there any groups or organisations trying to reverse this?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 29 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Leeds is consulting on a low emissions zone. If this happens I may have to upgrade the bandit :-O before it hits 100,000 miles. I have a long way to go on that.

And I conceed that Fazer probalby does manage 100k a year. Kilometres that is.

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

the only great thing about london is that at anytime in the day you can get what ever you want from the shops...........meh!

Yes, 24 hour shops don't exist outside of London. They certainly aren't all over the country. Best stay put.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 02 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
FYI Leeds is consulting on a low emissions zone. If this happens I may have to upgrade the bandit :-O before it hits 100,000 miles. I have a long way to go on that.

And I conceed that Fazer probalby does manage 100k a year. Kilometres that is.

It's only for commercial vehicles... honest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

headlamp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not dropped this issue and have looked at the research and emissions of EURO3 motorbikes which will be charged the £12.50 per day in central London.

Basically, they meet the standards TfL have made for emissions yet are still included in the ULEZ.

https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/eu-motorcycles-emissions/

I have my (London) MP on the case and want to get this into the media - I'm emailing the Evening Standard's transport editor but if anyone else has a contact who might want to pick this up then let me know!

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

the only great thing about london is that at anytime in the day you can get what ever you want from the shops...........meh!

This again, really? Yes, London sounds like a magical place.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlamp wrote:
I have not dropped this issue and have looked at the research and emissions of EURO3 motorbikes which will be charged the £12.50 per day in central London.

Basically, they meet the standards TfL have made for emissions yet are still included in the ULEZ.

I thought EURO3 bikes were OK. Or is your bike one of the examples where it meets EURO3, but was made before 2007?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
headlamp wrote:

I thought EURO3 bikes were OK. Or is your bike one of the examples where it meets EURO3, but was made before 2007?

Actually no, a workmate has a CBF500 on an 07 plate, it's a Euro 3 but he will have to pay the charge. My CBF500 is on an 57, I'm okay.

On the subject of this I had a letter TODAY from TFL informing me that I have a motorcycle that doesn't meet the standards.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like someone in TFL just choose a cut off date and declared that all vehicle models before 2007 have to pay up

This appears to have been done with no real investigation as it is evident from your attached report that motorcycles made before 2007 meet the emissions requirements and should be exempt from the ULEZ charge also

If you were really serious about low emissions you ban vehicles from entering this zone full stop with a few practical exceptions.

The whole thing to me just seems like a successful money making scheme

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
It seems like someone in TFL just choose a cut off date and declared that all vehicle models before 2007 have to pay up

This appears to have been done with no real investigation as it is evident from your attached report that motorcycles made before 2007 meet the emissions requirements and should be exempt from the ULEZ charge also

If you were really serious about low emissions you ban vehicles from entering this zone full stop with a few practical exceptions.

The whole thing to me just seems like a successful money making scheme

It's not TFL, I think 2007 is when either the manufacturers all had to meet Euro 3, or the first date that the DVLA actually recorded emissions. Either way, it's about having the records rather than having to test individual vehicles.

There are other bikes that meet Euro 3 despite not being homologated for it, and MAG have convinced the Mayor's office to allow individual testing per model to allow older bikes through. This is about as good as we're gonna get from a mayor who hates personal vehicles.

https://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a7395
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's got to pay for all the increased stabby stabby...

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mayoral office seems hell bent on having no vehicles in central London, how do they expect all the shops to get practical deliveries?

stabby stabby and blow up blow up will only disappear once mpd72 becomes prime minister and has complete control of the army and complete control of corporate companies lol

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:53 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
This mayoral office seems hell bent on having no vehicles in central London, how do they expect all the shops to get practical deliveries?

stabby stabby and blow up blow up will only disappear once mpd72 becomes prime minister and has complete control of the army and complete control of corporate companies lol

On the website it seriously says 'cargo bicycles'...

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a Khunt.

Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:37 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I bet buying a new van does more
damage than keeping the old one.

Quite possibly, but the new vehicle won't be built in central London, which is where the issues are.
I've been driving into London a good bit at the weekends; a bit too far out for Oyster card, so it's £24-28 on the trail. Have often been going right into the centre, so will be irksome when it comes in and even more so when it expands if I'm still doing that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Actually no, a workmate has a CBF500 on an 07 plate, it's a Euro 3 but he will have to pay the charge. My CBF500 is on an 57, I'm okay.

That was my understanding, however I've seen people on here buying '07 plate bikes so I've got the Pass the popcorn ready.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm my 07 plate CBF1000 checks out as ok on the TfL site....

However they'll still screw us over in other ways. The latest leaflet left on the bike is on about a plan for blanket 15mph speed limits in the City. But bear in mind that's not the whole of London only the very centre.

https://news.cityoflondon.gov.uk/city-unveils-ambitious-25-year-draft-strategy-to-tackle-air-quality-road-danger-and-congestion-in-the-square-mile/

However, if pedestrian safety is their goal I recommend taking a hard line approach to applying and enforcing jaywalking laws. If a person on foot crosses a road anywhere other than a pedestrian crossing or crosses against a red light they have on the spot punishment. Not drastic like killing or anything, but maybe losing a foot or being blinded. Or is that too softly softly? Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:34 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a late registration? I Just checked a few '07 plates and they were subject to the ULEZ.

EDIT: and this one isn't cos... Date of 1st Registration: 2007-08-01. Yes I am that bored Neutral

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What checker are you looking at? Because the TfL site says that one in the ebay ad is ok.

Mine was registered 20th July 2007

Edit: misread your post. Yeah that one is ok

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got lucky by 20 days Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2