ICE!!!! :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:30 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to be you! I got lucky back in March 2018.

Woke up to that after having parked up overnight. Had work the next day, so had to ride home but thankfully made it without crashing.

https://i.imgur.com/rPSYJqS.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/kykFzia.jpg

It was not fun. It was terrifying.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
The road surface can be frozen when the air temperature is +5 degrees C; the joys of thermodynamics and the way surfaces can radiate heat away. Furthermore, there's something called "depth temperature" on roads, effectively the temperature deep within the road surface; at the start of the winter, DT tends to be warmer so even on a sudden cold night, the road can stay frost-free, but in mid-late winter, the air temps can be marginal (or have recently warmed up) but the road stays frozen.

Just to clarify, for this to happen then the days prior must have been below or at freezing point.

Generally, if you've had a few days/nights that have been 5 degrees then the ground won't be frozen.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:25 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Sucks to be you! I got lucky back in March 2018.

Woke up to that after having parked up overnight. Had work the next day, so had to ride home but thankfully made it without crashing.

https://i.imgur.com/rPSYJqS.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/kykFzia.jpg

It was not fun. It was terrifying.

Thats just treating your bike like dirt though. Fuck leaving a bike out in that weather Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:02 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Thats just treating your bike like dirt though. Fuck leaving a bike out in that weather Laughing

Was an accident Laughing idiot me didn't check the forecast.

It got all the attention and cleaning afterwards Thumbs Up

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm a stubborn shit I commute on the bike all year round and living out in the countryside means I'm more than used to waking up to icy un-gritted roads.

My rule of thumb if it's been parky overnight is simple; if it looks wet or shiny..it's ice. Doesn't matter if it's not. Treat it as ice.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:

Just to clarify, for this to happen then the days prior must have been below or at freezing point.

Generally, if you've had a few days/nights that have been 5 degrees then the ground won't be frozen.

Generally, but not always. Asphalt surfaces are remarkably good at shedding heat once skies clear and in winter when there are frequently large patches of road that won't see sunlight, it can easily drop by that much overnight even if the air temps haven't changed by the same amount. But yes, if it's been mild for several days it is less likely the ground will freeze compared to a bout of cold weather.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Was an accident Laughing idiot me didn't check the forecast.

It got all the attention and cleaning afterwards Thumbs Up

Jesus says you have been redeemed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiler 2.0

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 80s aged 17 we would ride in all weathers. I even recall picking a bird up to go to a pub after a nasty bout of snow- stuffed the L-plates under my jacket and rode on the car tracks between the snow ridges. Arrived at pub (4 mile ride) with ice on my eyelashes. Can't imagine now why I expended so much effort..

..oh yes I remember why... Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
In the early 80s aged 17 we would ride in all weathers. I even recall picking a bird up to go to a pub after a nasty bout of snow- stuffed the L-plates under my jacket and rode on the car tracks between the snow ridges. Arrived at pub (4 mile ride) with ice on my eyelashes. Can't imagine now why I expended so much effort..

Coz you Sir are a Gentleman. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
A100man wrote:

Coz you Sir are a Gentleman. Thumbs Up

Coz he wanted to anything BUT a gentleman Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/cCpwpKM1/h6PXrBa.gif
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 degrees or under I don't bother these days, after almost losing it at 10mph on a corner with invisible ice. Just managed to stop it with a bit of foot down action.

Years back I recall riding the fazer in the tracks carved out by cars, but it wasn't particularly enjoyable, more through necessity. It's when you don't know it's there that really does you over.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, strangely, I quite enjoy riding in snow & icy conditions, don't like slush though, and not a big fan of rain.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2