Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike rental Spain/south of France?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gooders666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:56 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Bike rental Spain/south of France? Reply with quote

Hi all, new member so go easy on me.
Me and my dad (I'm 38 and he's 63) are looking to do a bit of a short tour in northern Spain, southern France, in May this year.

Ideally, we'd like to fly to Barcelona (or maybe Bilbao?), rent a couple of bikes and go off on a five day tour.

We're not really interested in the 'guided tour' thing. He's a stubborn Yorkshireman who wants to stop where he wants, whenever he wants.

My problem is that there seems to be loads of bike rental companies to choose from, but I'm looking for any personal recommendations, or companies to avoid..? Are there any smaller companies out there with a small fleet of bikes?

Any input gratefully received as neither of us has toured in Europe before.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike rental Spain/south of France? Reply with quote

Gooders666 wrote:
Ideally, we'd like to fly to Barcelona (or maybe Bilbao?), rent a couple of bikes and go off on a five day tour.

INB4 - so presumably you've already discounted the obvious idea of taking your own bikes (eg ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao)?

Gooders666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike rental Spain/south of France? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Gooders666 wrote:

INB4 - so presumably you've already discounted the obvious idea of taking your own bikes (eg ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao)?

Hi, yes, I think so. For a couple of reasons. My old man is up in the wilds of North Yorkshire and the ride to Portsmouth would be a chore. I guess it's about making the most of the time we've got. ta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 second google search took me here..

https://www.imtbike.es/

Appear to have depots i Madrid, Blibao, Bercelona and more. Perhaps allowing you a point to point trip. Highest Google user rating.

FYI Bilbao to Barcelona is about 400+ miles, just sayin'.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gooders666 wrote:
My problem is that there seems to be loads of bike rental companies to choose from, but I'm looking for any personal recommendations
A100man wrote:
10 second google search took me here

Rolling Eyes

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend the ferry. The cabins are brilliant, comfortable, decent power shower, a good choice of restaurants/ food. Not only that, it gives you a chance to chill out for 24 hours as the crossing is really very good, unless Biscay is bad.
It’s a top class way to go.
Bikes are fine on board......and when you get there either go East or West.....both ways provide awesome roads.
Your Dad will have wished he’d done it sooner.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you may need a "Green Card"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:15 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry takes ages. Laughing

But I've made you a route for when you arrive. Mr. Green

Takes you from Yesa all the way across to Roses on the Eastern coast.

The roads are bendier than they look. Thumbs Up

The rest of Spain is pretty flat and boring and full of oranges.

Gooders666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:05 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
10 second google search took me here..

https://www.imtbike.es/

Appear to have depots i Madrid, Blibao, Bercelona and more. Perhaps allowing you a point to point trip. Highest Google user rating.

FYI Bilbao to Barcelona is about 400+ miles, just sayin'.

Yep, thanks for that link. Seen that company mentioned a few times as being pretty good.

Gooders666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:06 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry takes ages. Laughing

But I've made you a route for when you arrive. Mr. Green

Takes you from Yesa all the way across to Roses on the Eastern coast.

The roads are bendier than they look. Thumbs Up

The rest of Spain is pretty flat and boring and full of oranges.

That's awesome! Really helpful.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Gooders666 wrote:
My problem is that there seems to be loads of bike rental companies to choose from, but I'm looking for any personal recommendations
A100man wrote:
10 second google search took me here

Rolling Eyes

In absence of any personal recommendations i figured this would still be useful - Highest Google rating Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PS Can also recommend road to Jaca..

PPS pack your waterproofs at any time of year. Northern 'green Spain' is much like Cornwall - weather wise.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Gooders666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:29 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. It was useful - just to reinforce what others had said about the company. Nice one all.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:17 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
I highly recommend the ferry. The cabins are brilliant, comfortable, decent power shower, a good choice of restaurants/ food. Not only that, it gives you a chance to chill out for 24 hours as the crossing is really very good, unless Biscay is bad.
It’s a top class way to go.
Bikes are fine on board......and when you get there either go East or West.....both ways provide awesome roads.
Your Dad will have wished he’d done it sooner.

It’s the “chilling out” for 24 hours I hated. The Sunday afternoon ferry from Plymouth wasn’t too bad as I arrived in Santander at dinner time (lunchtime to you Suvverners Wink ), but the Bilbao to Portsmouth ferry was awful as it didn’t arrive until late afternoon and I was really crawling up the walls by then Shocked

This year I’m taking the Sunday afternoon ferry again, but meandering back up to Normandy for the D-Day 75th anniversary commerations.

If I was focussed on Spain I’d use Euro Bikes Trans and ship my bike to Barcelona or Porto and avoid the ferry Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1