Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can I ride an A2 bike on the road with only theory and CBT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

JLW_MKI
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:00 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Can I ride an A2 bike on the road with only theory and CBT Reply with quote

If I have only passed my theory test and competed my CBT, can I ride my A2 bike on the road with or without L plates?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Do your Test, get A2 licence, then you can ride A2 bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JLW_MKI
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:22 - 18 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:43 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you have a full A2 licence... yes....but you wouldn't need the L-Plates then

Theory means nothing to almost anything; you only need a valid Theory pass cert to be able to book full motorbike tests, and count towards the full suite of pass certs for a full licence, A1, A2 or RWYL 'A' after passing Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests as well.

CBT is Compulsary Basic Training, it validates provisional entitlement on your licence.

If you dont have a full motorcycle licence, CBT then validates 'provisional' AM' moped entitlement, 'A1' 125 only entitelment, A2 45bhp entitlement and Full 'A' entitlement, but ONLY under regulations for provisional licence.

You MAY, if age eligible, ride an AM catagory moped, unsupervised on provisional entitlement, whilst displaying L-Plates.

You may, if age eligible, ride an A1 catagory 125, unsupervised, on provisional entitlementy, whilst displaying L-Plates

You may, if age eligible, ride an A2 or Full A catagopry machine over 125cc and or 45bhp, SUPERVISED, whilst displaying L-Plates. NOT on your own.

Superviosion must be provided by card carrying DSA instructor, in radio contact, whilst 'on a lesson'.

Otherwise, no, you cannot ride an A2 or A category bike, on the public roads, legally, at all, until after you have passed tests.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:13 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Superviosion must be provided by card carrying DSA instructor, in radio contact

Indeed.

Teflon-Mike wrote:
whilst 'on a lesson'.

What are you 'quoting'?

JLW_MKI
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:31 - 20 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 214 days between these two posts...

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, to get a full A licence or an A2 licence you have to take a test on a bike of the size / power to that of which you want to ride after you have passed your licence?

How does a rider get experience on a 125cc+ machine on the road before the test? Is the ONLY way whilst being supervised by a DSA instructor?

One last question, if I get an A2 licence and I want to start riding A licence bikes, I then have to go through another Module 2 test?

My background is that I am in my 40's, have been riding off-road for years, but want to get a licence so that I can legally cross roads etc to get to different trails. Although I do fancy getting an adventure type bike like a F650GS.
I'm short (5ft5") and light (10 stone), so don't know how I will fair on a heavier bike. I live in an ideal place to gain experience on riding a motorbike on the road for the first time (Mid Wales), but it seems that the majority of training course are in cities (Cardiff, Birmingham) etc
Me riding a big, heavy bike in a city might feel like a fish out of water.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:
As I understand it, to get a full A licence or an A2 licence you have to take a test on a bike of the size / power to that of which you want to ride after you have passed your licence?

Correct.

gwernybwch wrote:

How does a rider get experience on a 125cc+ machine on the road before the test? Is the ONLY way whilst being supervised by a DSA instructor?

They don't. The only way to ride anything larger than a 125cc before the test is to be accompanied by and be in radio contact with a DSA approved instructor.

gwernybwch wrote:

One last question, if I get an A2 licence and I want to start riding A licence bikes, I then have to go through another Module 2 test?

No, at your age you can go straight in to the A test.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it time we scrapped the option of riding anything on a provisional in the UK? Or put a 1month time limit on it so that a CBT graduate can have a couple of lessons or so before taking the A1 test.

Im aware that'll reduce numbers of people taking up motorcycle riding (legally) but to counter that I'd say allow 16yr olds to have a go at A1, and 15yr olds to ride a 50cc, but that you aren't allowed to stay on a 50cc for more than a year without taking A1, and once they take the A1 test they will almost certainly get a 125 boosting 125 sales, or they'll have to wait a year to learn to drive a car?

Stevo for transport secretary? Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:

As Andy said at your age you'd go straight for your A licence (24 or over), don't let a school try and con you into taking your A2 test for whatever reason, the one I used tried that on me cos they were short of bikes Rolling Eyes A2 > A is complicated because of 'Progressive Access', so for example a 19 y/o after 2 years on an A2 licence can then take their A tests at 21 rather than 24 (Mod 1 and Mod 2 again).

I'm fairly sure when we into this before the UK f**ked up their implication of the rules and also applied progressive access to the A1 license as well, which makes no sense as a 17 y/o will be old enough for an A2 license at 19 anyway.

Basically any upgrade under 2 years and you need a valid theory pass (they last for 2 years) as it's considered direct access, and currently you need to retake Mod 1 and 2 again. There was a consultation about changing this, as currently a 17 y/o would need to take Mod 1 and 2 three times going from A1> A2 > A Neutral

Teffers will probably be along soon telling you to go AM > A1 > A2 > A then back to AM again.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
gwernybwch wrote:

As Andy said at your age you'd go straight for your A licence (24 or over), don't let a school try and con you into taking your A2 test for whatever reason, the one I used tried that on me cos they were short of bikes Rolling Eyes A2 > A is complicated because of 'Progressive Access', so for example a 19 y/o after 2 years on an A2 licence can then take their A tests at 21 rather than 24 (Mod 1 and Mod 2 again).

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to check that my understanding was correct.

I don't quite know what is the best thing for me personally now. I'm relatively skilled at riding a small motorbike, what I'm lacking is traffic experience and big bike skills. I could do CBT / theory and get a 125 for some traffic experience. Trouble is there is no traffic at all where I live or alternatively go on a training course where I mixing BOTH traffic and big bikes together at the same time Sad

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Good ideas...
Stevo for transport secretary? Laughing

As I said, some good ideas there but unfortunately won't happen. Personally I'd be in favour of anything encouraging people to do full bike test as it is so much more than the CBT.
If your ideas were rolled out, as soon as we get the first 15 year old having an accident it will be blamed on the new law.
A lot of our more restrictive laws are to do with EU policy which I never understood because other EU countries have lower age laws etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwernybwch wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to check that my understanding was correct.

I don't quite know what is the best thing for me personally now. I'm relatively skilled at riding a small motorbike, what I'm lacking is traffic experience and big bike skills. I could do CBT / theory and get a 125 for some traffic experience. Trouble is there is no traffic at all where I live or alternatively go on a training course where I mixing BOTH traffic and big bikes together at the same time Sad

Off-road experience will come in handy with the slow speed control needed for Mod 1. Do you drive? If so road experience won't really be an issue. You need a CBT and theory pass anyway to do a DAS course, the CBT might be part of the package, some schools refund the CBT cost if you do a DAS course with them. Also if you mention to the school you're interested in a DAS course they might give you a go on a big bike after or during the CBT, so that'll give you a taste of big bikes.

gwernybwch
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
gwernybwch wrote:

Off-road experience will come in handy with the slow speed control needed for Mod 1. Do you drive? If so road experience won't really be an issue. You need a CBT and theory pass anyway to do a DAS course, the CBT might be part of the package, some schools refund the CBT cost if you do a DAS course with them. Also if you mention to the school you're interested in a DAS course they might give you a go on a big bike after or during the CBT, so that'll give you a taste of big bikes.

Thanks for the advice. I do drive and feel confident driving in the only city that I really know (Cardiff), but for me there is difference in feeling confident in driving a metal box to feeling confident riding two (heavy) wheels.
Thanks for the tips regarding a CBT refund / reduction and the possibility of getting a taste on a big bike Smile Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1