BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Rocker Arms Of Doom

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:14 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was done privately; through someone that worked there as he was a "friend" on a ZXR group; it happened months ago anyway. I've spent the last 2 days stripping the oil lines, engine to clean it out, all the crap was in the sump luckily nothing else is blocked; putting it all back together today with a new set of rocker arms so hopefully it'll be fine; if it goes wrong again I'll crash it into their workshop and walk away.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:17 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them a link to this thread, just so the rest of the community knows of this incident

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i wouldn't stick further good top end parts on this engine, not a chance. You have no idea if there are further issues afoot or even why it really started eating valvegear in the first place.

Either strip the engine totally and rebuild it from the ground up, or take a punt on another standard engine.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: arms Reply with quote

Do you use those type of gloves when working on your bike, be honest !!

So the "company" did not do the work on this engine and you had no company bill?

Is the chap who did the work a company employee, if he is, and the company was mine, he would NO LONGER BE!!!!!

I agree, a full strip down and clean/assessment and go from there, that is as long as you are capable and have the right tools etc..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFlyingEnglishman wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/rsQ8WcY.jpg

Would that be enough to starve the engine of oil? Manufacturers build in a huge margin of overkill because that is what strainers are meant to do, stop shit getting in the oilways.

Obviously it's not good but I have ripped apart some well clogged filters and strainers in my job and the engine wasn't wrecked. Admittedly slower running diesel engines, not high revving bike motors.

TheFlyingEngl...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear gloves like that anymore, haven't touched the inside of this engine till now; all the oil ways are clear, there are no obstructions; checked with an inspection camera and with pipe cleaners too.

I've cleaned out the oil lines with pipe cleaners and a compressor and I've also blown out the oil radiator too. I found this in the small section of the sump (The oil radiator line's sump) and it's not metal, all these tiny bits aren't metal at all, they're like bark, yes...tree bark. No fucking idea how the hell these got in there but all of this must have been in it when I got the engine.

I'm going to go back over everything I've done and recheck then reassemble this weekend and hopefully it turns back on with no issues; I won't find out about any noises for a few miles though.

https://i.imgur.com/GUSU5Is.jpg

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the engine run ok with the cam box cover off, does anything in/on the cam cover "tension" the cam chain at all. If it will run all ok and safely with the cam cover off, check oil flow to the rockers etc. with the lid off. Messy I know but you will know oil is getting to the parts it needs to when its running, under oil pressure rather than "splash/oil mist".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3