Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike snobbery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Who with a mortgage, car and family has £14k of savings? I bet it's a small minority, as home owners will always want to spend their money on home improvements, or moving to a bigger place, or paying off the mortgage instead.

That was my point, aside from those that can't save, younger people seem to have more disposable income as the money isn't going into a house/mortgage. They'll probably be an entire generation reminiscing about their sports bike or performance car whilst living their remaining years in a bedsit Neutral

Just for example PCP deals seem to have replaced mortgages as their main outgoing, which's great except you won't have anything to show for it.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely renting is as expensive as a mortgage in a lot of cases.

I know people who rent because they can't save enough for a deposit. If there were those 95% or even 100% mortgages that were around when I bought my first house they would be on the housing ladder, paying less than they are now in rent.

Anyway, if renting expensive, then surely it means people don't have more disposable income.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I know people who rent because they can't save enough for a deposit. If there were those 95% or even 100% mortgages that were around when I bought my first house they would be on the housing ladder, paying less than they are now in rent.

Anyway, if renting expensive, then surely it means people don't have more disposable income.

Ignoring London where the average deposit is 90k or something ridiculous, the can't save for a deposit brigade annoy me. I saw on the news a couple with a combined salary of 90k claiming the same thing... they're just bad with money Confused

A mortgage is in most cases cheaper, a pal pays ~£320 per month for a 3 bed house (up north), a really crummy 1 bed flat would cost the same to rent. His deposit was 15k iirc, however he's probably put the same into improving the house which you obviously wouldn't do with a rented property, so that's 30k less to spend on bikes and cars Smile

It's more of an issue in the south, where a single person on a normal salary, with a healthy deposit still won't be able to buy anything other than a shoebox. They tend to live with family, in shared houses, with a partner (for a bit) and therefore tend to have more disposable income.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:52 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I saw on the news a couple with a combined salary of 90k claiming the same thing

It surprising how "normal" they think a £4 coffee every f**king morning is (£90+ per month by the way....)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Ahhh rent. My favourite subject. Smile

I could charge over a grand a month to let the house I live in out. It's nothing special, just a 3 bed semi. But the
going rate rent would pay my mortgage minimum payment about three times over. Effectively turning a
30 year mortgage into a 10 year one assuming all monies received are paid against the mortgage and the mortgager
has an alternative place to live. It's easy to see why BTL is such a popular type of investment.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
It's easy to see why BTL is such a popular type of investment.

And why the housing market is so f**ked up Smile I knew someone living in a shared house, 3 of them paying £500 p/m each, an overdue mortgage letter got sent to the house and the landlord was paying £400 p/m Neutral

That was a few years ago so the same room would probably be £750 now.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it snobbery or is it just personal preference?

I don't like Chinese bikes, does that make me a snob? It does not.

Anyway, fuck everyone else, who cares?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
grr666 wrote:
It's easy to see why BTL is such a popular type of investment.

And why the housing market is so f**ked up

That really does depends which side of the fence you're on. I used to rent, and not as long ago as you might think.
My final rent payment was for £860, it was only a two bed flat. Bought my first house in early 2006. My current
mortgage payment is £360 pcm although I typically pay double that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:51 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
A thread on bike snobbery has turned into a discussion on just snobbery in general LOL.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/207/234/you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
A thread on bike snobbery has turned into a discussion on just snobbery in general LOL.

Probably because a snob is a snob - they're likely to be that way about everything.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Well I tried to make it crystal clear. I can afford any bike I like but I'm happy with the one I've got, because I don't blow my cash on shit I don't need to impress people I don't know. If someone wants to point their finger at my bike and say I'm poor, that's fine with me but it would be an inaccurate belief on their part.

In which case you TOTALLY missed the point of the post you quoted, because I took that as "How can you take the piss out of anyone on any bike? They could be rich, sure, but they could be on minimum wage but desperately want to ride, so they have a Hyosung GT250 or whatever it is."

I don't think he's being snobbish, I think he's trying to put down the snobs. I think by saying everyone over 30 has 15k of assets or investments is incredibly short sighted, and dare I say it snobbish.

MarJay - you interpreted my post correctly!

As for the remark Bhud made about people over 30 having that sort of money to spend; I don't think this is the case at all these days; from my observations I think that the housing market has actually emptied people's pockets of spendable cash (let's not get drawn into a housing affordability over the years discussion though!). Even if they do have it, I suspect most will be keeping it for that roof that needs replacing soon, when they buy their family home etc. - I don't think I know anyone of my age (early 30s) who has splurged that kind of cash on something other than a house. Personally, the concept of spending that kind of money on a motorcycle leaves me reeling . . . but that's me, others may think very differently.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
M.C wrote:

And why the housing market is so f**ked up

That really does depends which side of the fence you're on. I used to rent, and not as long ago as you might think.
My final rent payment was for £860, it was only a two bed flat. Bought my first house in early 2006. My current
mortgage payment is £360 pcm although I typically pay double that.

Maybe that ties in Polarbear's point, pre-financial crisis there were a lot more mortgage options, and it depends where you're in the country but around here one bed flats were ~100k less in the mid-2000s, and rent was also a lot less. £860 would probably just about get you a studio apartment... in other words a fancy bedsit with a kitchen in your one room Smile

My point was a general one about housing going from somewhere for people to live to an 'investment', which's a large part of why people have nowhere to live.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud for PM

Cool

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Coming from someone who bought his council house, which they undervalued at the time, plus gave us a larger discount than we had even paid in total rent since day one... I don't believe it's right that they are selling off council houses. That's certainly not helping. It's all well and good saying they're building more but all they're doing is replacing the ones they're selling and not actually fixing the problem. Like others have said, my mortgage now is less than my council subsidised rent was before we bought it and we walked straight into about 45% equity from day one. Disgusting really, goes completely against my politics. But each for their own. I'd have to have been some sort of cunt to turn it down! If I'm not going to look after number one no other fucker is!

Totally agree with that except for the point of replacing the social housing sold, they haven't even replaced what was sold let alone increased stock.

https://fullfact.org/economy/social-housing-last-30-years/

https://fullfact.org/economy/social-housing-last-30-years/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they claimed they would replace the houses sold but never did. Do you think Thatcher introduced RTB to erode the Labour vote?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Apparently they claimed they would replace the houses sold but never did. Do you think Thatcher introduced RTB to erode the Labour vote?

Of course she did. It was no secret she wanted a country of home owners, not council renters working on the principle they would forever be Conservative voters having bought their houses (on the cheap) because of her policies.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you're new here I'll explain BCF's position on the matter:
- RTB = fine despite the massive government (so taxpayer) subsidy, the removal of revenue or cheap accommodation for those on benefits
- council housing = bad, anyone living in one is massively subsidised somehow (coz cheaper innit), they should all be burnt down preferably with the gimmedat occupants inside, and we should continue spending a fortune on housing people in private rented accommodation
Thumbs Up Wink Thumbs Up

I don't blame people who bought their houses under RTB, it's a great deal, I blame governments who had the policy and more importantly didn't build anymore. The whole reason rent prices are so high and we have such a high housing benefit bill is due to a lack of social housing.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop changing the fuckin subject!!!
I got enough on me plate with having to bring the neighbours bins in for them AGAIN and they still havent painted their number on it too

Mind you, them at number 53 have got coloured stickers on theirs
Birds butterflies and such
I think they may be hippies, he's got a beard and you never see him wearing a tie and that car hasnt been washed in while.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget a lot of people on here weren't alive when Thatcher was in power. She had good points and bad points depending where you lived and what you did , just like any politician.

One thing she didn't do was fuck around, if someone crossed her, they were gone, if she wanted something she went after it with the tenacity of a heroin addict after a fix.

She was the only British politician at the time with the balls to go to war with the Argentinians. She was the only British politician at the time with the balls to go to war with the unions (Miners and others) and the was the only British politician at the time with the balls (stupidity) to go to war with her own electorate (Poll tax).

Loved and hated in pretty equal amounts I would say.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Stop changing the fuckin subject!!!

The politics section has spilled over, this is what will kill the forum Smile

Polarbear wrote:
Loved and hated in pretty equal amounts I would say.

Generally loved by the middle/upper classes and hated by the working class based on people I listened/spoken to. I love 80's culture and wish I was young then... except for the fact life on a sink estate under Thatcher was, well you can imagine Very Happy

Yuppies probably had a good time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Yuppies probably had a good time.

That was the 80s name for snob.

There were some very good bikes in the 80s though Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6