Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:10 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues Reply with quote

Morning all,

Hoping for a bit of help from people who are a lot more technical minded than myself.

I'm currently unable to get my 600 Bandit to start. At present when I turn the key, the neutral light flashes on for a split second then dies, and I have no power. No indicators/headlights at all, and the ignition wont turn over at all when pressed. However the heated grips I have fitted do have power and turn on as normal.

I've started with the battery and taken it out and fully charged it, and its showing as being fully charged and working okay going off the charger. I've checked all off the fuses and they are all in working order, no issues there (including the 30v one). I've disconnected as much off the wiring as I could and cleaned out the connectors and reconnected everything but no joy.

I was hoping for ideas off where to go next? The only thing I can think off is a connection somewhere between the battery and starter?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would follow both battery leads for good connections to the bike,
then i would check for power at the fuse box when switched on.
Also are the heated grips connected straight to the battery?

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I would follow both battery leads for good connections to the bike,
then i would check for power at the fuse box when switched on.
Also are the heated grips connected straight to the battery?

Hey Jaffa,

Yeah the grips are connected straight to the battery. With the leads, do you mean testing them with a multimeter? (sorry I'm terrible with electrical stuff)

Thanks

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remove the battery and check if the leads have good connections to the bike.
Then as my first post.

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:36 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I would remove the battery and check if the leads have good connections to the bike.
Then as my first post.

Thanks, I'll give those a try

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:55 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition switch. Try turning the key ever so slightly to the left (from the ON position) and see if that brings the lights up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Ignition switch. Try turning the key ever so slightly to the left (from the ON position) and see if that brings the lights up.

This. Ignore jaffa, he'll send you down rabbit holes.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Robby wrote:

This. Ignore jaffa, he'll send you down rabbit holes.

Testing what a switch does is better than twiddling / playing with it.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:51 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiddling it is testing it.

The neutral light flashes up when the ignition is turned on. This suggests the ignition switch is making a connection, then breaking it. I have seen this before when the contact plate at the bottom of the ignition barrel has moved out of alignment, so nothing lines up when the key is in the normal starting position.

It is possible to fix it by taking the ignition barrel apart, getting everything lined up, and glueing it in place. I wouldn't trust this sort of repair, I would instead replace the ignition switch with a pattern part from a seller I trust (wemoto or M&P). Chances are it is already a pattern part to have failed in this way, so any concerns about having a different key for the ignition switch and other locks are nothing new.

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:27 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried this last night and no joy, couldn't get anything to light up.

Although this time the neutral light didn't even flash on at all when I turned the key as it had previously. Tried it a couple of times and jiggled it around but still no joy.

Unfortunately as I don't have a light in my garage I haven't been able to test any off the wiring that Jaffo suggested so that'll be my next point off call at the weekend when I have some light and can see what I'm doing.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues Reply with quote

welck12 wrote:
Morning all,

Hoping for a bit of help from people who are a lot more technical minded than myself.

I'm currently unable to get my 600 Bandit to start. At present when I turn the key, the neutral light flashes on for a split second then dies, and I have no power. No indicators/headlights at all, and the ignition wont turn over at all when pressed. However the heated grips I have fitted do have power and turn on as normal.

I've started with the battery and taken it out and fully charged it, and its showing as being fully charged and working okay going off the charger. I've checked all off the fuses and they are all in working order, no issues there (including the 30v one). I've disconnected as much off the wiring as I could and cleaned out the connectors and reconnected everything but no joy.

I was hoping for ideas off where to go next? The only thing I can think off is a connection somewhere between the battery and starter?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Does the bike still have the original headlight fitted?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:01 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a wiring manual and work out how to bypass the ignitin.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:06 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this bike have a neutral switch.
I’m guessing it does.
I had a 2007 fjr a few years ago, and that had a dry soldered joint on the gear indicator wiring and would have the similar symptoms .

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:49 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

No the original headlight had been swapped out before I bought it.

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:50 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
I’m guessing it does.
I had a 2007 fjr a few years ago, and that had a dry soldered joint on the gear indicator wiring and would have the similar symptoms .

Yeah its a 2000 model, so getting on a bit now. How did you manage to fix yours?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
I’m guessing it does.

How would this prevent the indicators and headlights from working as in the first post?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: electrics Reply with quote

get a wiring diagram and multimeter and go from there in a logical manner following the "power".

I suspect you have not involved the heated grips with the bikes oe electrics at all at all?

Was it misbehaving before, like the neutral light flashes when the handlebars where turn lock to lock, o=r lights playing up??

It may be that the oe loom has suffered work hardening, fatique then make and break contact in the area of the head stock, where the wiring flexes ever time the handle bars are moved.

wiring diagram, study, then follow the power using the multimeter being methodical.

Of course it may well be something very simple like a worn ign switch or BAD CONNECTION somewhere. Done any painting of the bike very recently??

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: electrics Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
get a wiring diagram and multimeter and go from there in a logical manner following the "power".

I suspect you have not involved the heated grips with the bikes oe electrics at all at all?

Was it misbehaving before, like the neutral light flashes when the handlebars where turn lock to lock, o=r lights playing up??

It may be that the oe loom has suffered work hardening, fatique then make and break contact in the area of the head stock, where the wiring flexes ever time the handle bars are moved.

wiring diagram, study, then follow the power using the multimeter being methodical.

Of course it may well be something very simple like a worn ign switch or BAD CONNECTION somewhere. Done any painting of the bike very recently??

Nope, the grips are just wired straight to the battery bypassing everything else. Up until it did this the other day, the electrics have all been fine, no issues with anything electrical at all.

I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be a bad wire somewhere, which does seem to be the general consensus. Time to play test all the wires

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues Reply with quote

welck12 wrote:
Pete. wrote:

No the original headlight had been swapped out before I bought it.

Then you should check the bundle of wiring behind the headlight because it's supposed to be packed in the headlight bowl out of the elements but there isn't the room in twin spots so it invariably gets wrapped in tape and crammed in the frame. Apart from the various plug connectors there's a large earth junction taped into the loom there and this can rot away causing all manner of electrical issues.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

welck12
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:00 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Suzuki 600 Bandit - Power/Starting issues Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Then you should check the bundle of wiring behind the headlight because it's supposed to be packed in the headlight bowl out of the elements but there isn't the room in twin spots so it invariably gets wrapped in tape and crammed in the frame. Apart from the various plug connectors there's a large earth junction taped into the loom there and this can rot away causing all manner of electrical issues.

Thanks for that, i'll have a look at that first then, fingers crossed that's the cause
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1