Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Conor_
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:22 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: 16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters? Reply with quote

Hi,
My name is Conor, I believe 16-year-olds should be allowed to ride 125cc Scooters even if they are restricted to around 50mph, the reason for this is it would reduce tailgaters and build up of traffic behind restricted 50cc scooters on the busier roads, it would also make it safer and reduce tailgaters behind the riders and stop the potential chance of an accident,

I have made a petition on the government website for this, if you agree with my point, please go ahead and sign it, it will only take a moment of your time, if you do not agree, I will not take any offense if anyone gives their view or explains why this would not work

Link:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238120/sponsors/new?token=iJ3KowMSUys0d8zpFhT

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:33 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have bob hope or no hope for wanting that. Why not wait a year and you can get a nice big car ?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally agree, however, no chanve of getting the law changed, whuch is a shame

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that the moped age should be dropped to 14, and 125 at 16, with usable restrictions. My V50P, being pre-77, could hit 55 and a 125 should be able to sit at 65 rather than have it as a top speed.

Reality is, it ain't gonna happen.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:15 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, should 16 year old boys be trusted with a vehicle that can to go over 30mph? That is the question.

Having been a 16 year old boy with a moped myself once. I think the answer is a firm "No.".

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:38 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: 16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters? Reply with quote

Conor_ wrote:
My name is Conor, I believe 16-year-olds should be allowed to ride 125cc Scooters even if they are restricted to around 50mph, the reason for this is it would reduce tailgaters and build up of traffic behind restricted 50cc scooters on the busier roads, it would also make it safer and reduce tailgaters behind the riders and stop the potential chance of an accident

I see you need 5 sponsors first.

I'd sign it if it merely said that "The maximum design speed for mopeds ridden by 16 year olds with completed CBT should be raised from 28MPH (45 km/h) to 40MPH (65Kph)" (or similar words).

You can add reasons if you like.

40MPH seems a decent compromise between safety and usability. I do not think there is any hope at all of raising the max CCs to 125, restricted or not, and I tend to agree with that.

Edit: Good luck, BTW.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:03 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

the government and the powers that be, and the powers behind the throne, hate motorcycles and want them banned.

you have no chance at all, but I wish you every success

don't think a single one of my friends had a "legal" 50cc when we were 16, though I waited until I was 17 to get a 125cc bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:46 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else has said - nice idea, fat chance.

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:07 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you spend a year fighting for this law change, bingo you are now 17 years old and can ride a 4 stroke 125cc bike legaly !

end of your problem..... Shocked

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I've always thought that the moped age should be dropped to 14

They seem to be riding them at that age anyway in London Shhh!

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:03 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
However, should 16 year old boys be trusted with a vehicle that can to go over 30mph? That is the question.

You can ride an A1 bike at 16 here in Ireland.
https://www.ndls.ie/licence-categories.html

There are very few youngsters on bikes these days.
The new licensing system is gradually killing off biking.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:08 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I've always thought that the moped age should be dropped to 14, and 125 at 16, with usable restrictions. My V50P, being pre-77, could hit 55 and a 125 should be able to sit at 65 rather than have it as a top speed.

Reality is, it ain't gonna happen.

It was for 14 for teenagers on the continent for long enough and Ireland let you ride bigger bikes after taking some training but I don't know if that's changed now.
In the past there was 250cc bikes on a L plates and that would be a better start for a licensing petition.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
In the past there was 250cc bikes on a L plates and that would be a better start for a licensing petition.

Makes sense with 125 2-strokes all but dead. I'd have learners riding up to 250cc with a power output (20 something bhp), a restricted license of 47bhp if you take your test on a 250 which auto-upgrades to a full unrestricted licence after two years, and direct access for anyone 21 or over as before.

I don't care about mopeds Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a work around the rules back when I was in my teens - was it a Sidewinder side car? It allowed normal riding and a route around things.

If motorcycle laws are different in other parts of Europe I'd be surprised. It's all harmony and equality innit?

(petition is like weeing into the wind)

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
There was a work around the rules back when I was in my teens - was it a Sidewinder side car? It allowed normal riding and a route around things.

If motorcycle laws are different in other parts of Europe I'd be surprised. It's all harmony and equality innit?

(petition is like weeing into the wind)

ah, the sidewinder, yes I knew a few people that bought bigger bikes and put them on, they all crashed and got injured

though this proves nothing, come to think of it, we all crashed and got injured Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:12 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

All based on the same EU directives, but there are differences in
the way they are interpreted and implemented.

In Ireland we applied the rule that says bikes for the category A
test must produce 50kW or more back in 2014.

You can get category A1 from age 16 and A2 from 18.
Category A from 24 (20 via progressive access).

There are also differences in the process for getting a licence.
The process is:

Theory test. (40 multiple choice questions)

Apply for learner permit (this usually requires an eye test)

Mandatory training. This must be done on a bike suitable
for your category of learner permit. 18 hours for category A.
I did mine on a Bandit 650.

Once you have completed training, you can ride on the
road subject to the usual learner rules. (no motorway, no pillion etc).
You are required to wear an L-tabard until you get the full licence.
I rarely see L-tabards on the road, so I suspect that many L
riders are not complying with this rule.

You are not allowed to take the test for the full licence until
you have held your learner permit for at least six months.

I prefer the Irish system to the UK version. No faffing about
with 125s to get an A2 or A licence.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: 16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters? Reply with quote

Conor_ wrote:
Hi,
My name is Conor, I believe 16-year-olds should be allowed to ride 125cc Scooters even if they are restricted to around 50mph, the reason for this is it would reduce tailgaters and build up of traffic behind restricted 50cc scooters on the busier roads, it would also make it safer and reduce tailgaters behind the riders and stop the potential chance of an accident,

I have made a petition on the government website for this, if you agree with my point, please go ahead and sign it, it will only take a moment of your time, if you do not agree, I will not take any offense if anyone gives their view or explains why this would not work

Link:https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238120/sponsors/new?token=iJ3KowMSUys0d8zpFhT

You are one of Rogerborg thermal socks and I claim my £5

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference in Europe (well mostly Italy) is that while 14yr olds can all ride a 50cc moped until age 16 then they are allowed to ride an 11kw 125.

But from what little I know about 14yr old Italians, they virtually all have bikes with something called a TPR86 conversion which means 20-22bhp at 13500rpm. Laughing

So you can guess how learner legal their 125's are going to be 2years later. Wink

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The only difference in Europe (well mostly Italy) is that while 14yr olds can all ride a 50cc moped until age 16 then they are allowed to ride an 11kw 125.

Good ol' Brexit!
Ensuring that our kids get to experience an extra year of life Thumbs Up ,
whereas the poor sods across the channel have to put up with remaining 14 years old until they're sixteen. Crying or Very sad

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Good ol' Brexit!
Ensuring that our kids get to experience an extra year of life Thumbs Up ,
whereas the poor sods across the channel have to put up with remaining 14 years old until they're sixteen. Crying or Very sad

I'm sure that's lost in translation somewhere, but, what on earth are you on about, and what does this have to do with Brexit?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Having been a 16 year old boy with a moped myself once. I think the answer is a firm "No.".
Having been a sixteen year old boy as well, I'm just glad my dad wouldn't let me near any kind of powered two wheeler, I probably wouldn't have made to seventeen.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:22 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238120/gathering-support

This petition is gathering support
Conor Bennett’s petition needs 5 supporters before we will check that it meets the petition standards and publish it.

Please try again in a few days.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: 16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters? Reply with quote

Conor_ wrote:
the reason for this is it would reduce tailgaters and build up of traffic behind restricted 50cc scooters on the busier roads, it would also make it safer and reduce tailgaters behind the riders and stop the potential chance of an accident
Believe me engine capacity makes no difference to tailgaters, what does make some difference is passing your tests and losing the L plates, in my experience tailgaters are more aggressive when they spot an L

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: 16-Year-olds riding 125cc Mopeds/Scooters? Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
tailgaters are more aggressive when they spot an L plate

True as a true thing Crying or Very sad

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I remember being tailgated on my 125 was going up a big hill where my bike would only do 30 even though it was a 30 zone. Yes the car tailgating/flashing their lights was an Audi...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1