Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

breaker 19 anyone about ??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:10 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: breaker 19 anyone about ?? Reply with quote

many moons ago I was into CB & Ham radio before the internet existed
from about the age of 16 I got into CB's and modifying them (badly to start with)
but when I was 22 I went and sat the C&G in Licensing conditions and transmitter interference & Operating practices, procedure and theory
basically giving me a Ham license though I never actually applied for a call sign

I've decided to get back into it again and to start with I'm going old school
I got a hold of a good condition Cobra 148 GTL DX
as well as a more modern Alan 9001 (Midland) the Ham Int Major was a bit of a bonus

I have a Hi Gain 17ft antenna ordered as well as a drum of RG 58 to make a few Dipole antenna
if I like what I find I may go full hog on multiband

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

19, 19 for a copy.
We had CBs in the car, house and one in my brother's van.
I used to marvel at the fact that I could talk to him while he was out and about.
Come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cobra 148 for a couple of years and did a bit of cqdx, people still don't believe it was possible to speak to people in southern Europe on a daily basis, and on occasion USA and even Australia.
That's with more or less standard power output and regular antenna.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes europe was easy Australia and south America on a good day was possible Thumbs Up

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a couple of Midland CBs in the late 80s to use as bike to bike intercoms. Never did fit them, but I kept one on my desk running off a Scalextric transformer. Use to chat to some bods who sat on Dunstable Downs in the evening, but it got tedious with people thinking they were Radio Caroline, swamping the air by blaring shite music all night.

Packed away when I got married and my study got turned into a closet, and they resurfaced again last month when I moved some of the contents of my loft to the new house.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51l1hY6SkBL._SL500_SX305_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I had fun reading it Shifty

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1990s I had a cheap Tandy CB in my Sierra, fun but stop for a second anywhere in London and I had some twit tapping on the window asking if I was a cab.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

opened up the Cobra and its pretty much unmolested though the low / mid / high band selector seems to have a 4th position
its possibly an extra band that has been added or a Mod for the Alpha channels won't know till I put it on the silly scope and see what frequency's its putting out
and I'll see if anyone has tried to boost / tune the outputs as most times it was done badly

Antenna and mike should be here tomorrow then I can test out the Tx & Rx Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had them when I was a kid. Parents used to run a CB club in Worthing. Big meet ups, sometimes weekend events.

Last handset I had, about 10 years ago, when I was still buying and selling on ebay, the channels were almost dead.

Just a couple of locals who always talked to each other, and nothing else. Zilch.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cobra hi-lo was often modified for two extra blocks of 40 on am/fm giving five in total
You could also use SSB there but most SSB action was on the normal high band, just above the US original 40 channels.
I seem to recall ch 44 was the main calling channel on USB.

Going above about 55 on high with SSB was frowned on as it overlapped the legal UK40 channels.
It was common to hear users of FM only rigs complaining about 'illegal sidebanders' but they didn't realise the squawky noise was coming from Italy or Brazil most likely.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The Cobra hi-lo was often modified for two extra blocks of 40 on am/fm giving five in total
You could also use SSB there but most SSB action was on the normal high band, just above the US original 40 channels.
I seem to recall ch 44 was the main calling channel on USB.

Going above about 55 on high with SSB was frowned on as it overlapped the legal UK40 channels.
It was common to hear users of FM only rigs complaining about 'illegal sidebanders' but they didn't realise the squawky noise was coming from Italy or Brazil most likely.

its possibly modded with the extra high & low I seen that mod done a few times in the past
yeah anything above 27.6mhz till you get to the 10m band is Uk FM
the Alan 9001 that I got runs 28 - 29.7mhz so thats above so good there Thumbs Up

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad you did the exam but never converted it to a licence

Not use CB since the 1980's but still hold the Licence G6CVP back then VHF and up only now all bands currently not very active but have a FT818 all bands /modes to 443Mhz mostly listen on 3.5Mhz (40m) or 145Mhz 2m

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another former Class B here. Still hold the callsign
My main mode was packet (AX25). Not used it that much since the internet killed it off though... left the nodes running for a while but running a 6m/2m/70cm cluster 24/7/365 was getting too costly for the amount of traffic it was getting.
Still got various TNCs, some with bespoke node firmware some with standard KISS firmware.
I sometimes fire up my handheld to see if there's anything happening but it's rather quiet out there.

I did find my old 27/81 CB in the attic some time ago...no idea if it still works though.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many on here I suspect, I held a restricted VHF radio licence. (marine band)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran networks back in my CB days.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick update I got a half wave antenna and have it on an extending lighting pole 16ft in the air

on further inspection the Cobra has had a few mods done badly so getting a full restoration with a 5 way for the extra bands and the Uk Eprom is getting pulled

the Alan 9001 was a surprise as its 10 bands with banks of 50 channels it also has the standard 40 CB channels with the Alpha channels
it starts on 26.000Mhz all the way up to 30.195 Mhz Laughing

had a few contacts on the 27.555 call frequency using USB and a bit of chat on the Uk FM channels

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 80s I had a Ham Multimode CB which I'd modified for extra high and low bands. In addition I'd added a simple CMOS mod that allowed access to the the empty frequencies reserved for US remote control applications (they were commonly called the 'A' channels). I'd also fitted a power reducer to the output stage which gave me variable power between 100mW and 5W. Fun times.

I used to repair and modify the things too. I should add that I'm a qualified electronics engineer (my first profession) and knew what I was about. Very Happy

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I also found out in 2006 Ofcom de-restricted the 27Mhz and you can use 80 ch Am - Fm as well as 80 Euro channels we may or may not have soon Laughing
and there is a bit of activity on 27.555 though the weather & sunspot min is keeping it more local
but I hear the 40 - 80m is booming just now Esp at night
I really need to get a multi band to play with some of the new gear is awesome but at 2k - 3k for a top of the range Ham station
its a bit rich for me

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 ft di-pole motherfukka then onto a 21 ft Silver rod.

200watt burner.
Echo chambers were for twats.

Started off in early 80s on AM then switched like many did to FM. 1-4 a copy never felt right.

Eyeballs were fantastic infact I popped my cherry after an eyeball with an old couple...spied their daughter etc etc. Can't recall so many handles...pity.

Got into loads of new bands by chatting to likeminded types....went with one of them to my first music festival and became friends for a good 25 years. Lost touch...ironic eh.

Put a Midland 2001 in the Chevette when I passed my test. Bullwhip natch.
I liked the Midland rigs and had the 7001 at home. Also used a York and another one that had a built in burner...v flash can't recall etc.

What's your 20?
Skip is bringing in those germans again.

[Tapes the key down and plays the whole side of a New Model Army LP]

Awaits a pin in the coax.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a forum I used to chat on, a member from a former soviet bloc country, told how in the hacker scene (mainly using cloned ZX Spectrums) they'd broadcast 8-bit computer programs over CBs

that must've sounded awful Laughing

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
On a forum I used to chat on, a member from a former soviet bloc country, told how in the hacker scene (mainly using cloned ZX Spectrums) they'd broadcast 8-bit computer programs over CBs

that must've sounded awful Laughing

Also very easy with the BBC micros too...using the tape i/o which had a relay to key up the rig and drop the carrier when finished Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER, there is no actual ham in the Ham radio. Such a disappointment. Folded arms

Alright, I'm out... Razz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1