Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bar end weights

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Bar end weights Reply with quote

Just wondering how much of an impact these have (or rather, how much of an impact removing them will have)? I have them on my ER5 and they have a tapered tip that extend into the handlebar by a cm or so . . . I have some hand guards to fit which while I could *probably* make fit with the weights (or mount the weights on the outside of them), it's going to be a bit faffy. Everything I've read suggests that when fitting hand guards the weights go, but then the articles I read about seem to be aimed squarely at off-road bikes so maybe there are other variables at work there.

So, before I exert large amounts of effort to try and make the weights work with the handguards, I'm just wondering what they're really doing? I'd assume something because they're there (they appear to have some sort of rubber mounting between the bolt and the weight itself so I'm guessing from this some sort of vibration damping).

Cheers Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Bar end weights Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
...so I'm guessing from this some sort of vibration damping).

Bingo! They are inertial dampers.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:05 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they stop vibrations, I can tell you from experience installing bark buster hand guards on my GW250 and from swapping the stock bar end weights with R&G ones on my FZ1 I ended up putting the stock ones back on both due to the annoying vibes you get, my hands were going numb on the FZ1 at motorway speeds.

The stock weights are much heavier than most of the aftermarket crap out there.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Looks like I'll try and find a way to keep them in place then! Yeah they are quite weighty things.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifie somehow lost one off her ER6. I was amazed the difference it made not having it (in a bad way).

I had to end up buying a proper OEM replacement as the pair I bought off ebay were much lighter and did eff all to reduce the numbness you got through the bars without the OEM bar ends.

On our Fazer hack it didn't seem to make much difference with or without but I presume that's more to do with it being an IL4 rather than a twin.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cheapo eBay ones were actually good and although lighter were better than the originals, but with all eBay stuff it's hit-and-miss.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted end-weights to an er6f. From the same people who make crash bungs (their name escapes me).
Almost made it un-ride-able.

Rule of thum/p if the end weights are hefty then dont fcku with them.

And don't ride a bike with nothing in the ends.
You must have seen what an apple corer does. 😂

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I don't get this. In what situation could this be dangerous? If you crash into someone, it will be from the front. If you're thrown off the bike, it could be front, back, sideways or any ways, so how would a part of you get snagged on the bar ends?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
MCN wrote:

I don't get this. In what situation could this be dangerous? If you crash into someone, it will be from the front. If you're thrown off the bike, it could be front, back, sideways or any ways, so how would a part of you get snagged on the bar ends?

I've seen it happen with kids riding bicycles. Usually one of those 'wrapped inside the frame' crashes and the end of the bar tries to take a core sample from their leg.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I've seen it happen with kids riding bicycles. Usually one of those 'wrapped inside the frame' crashes and the end of the bar tries to take a core sample from their leg.

Ouch! Never thought of that. It does sound bad.

The danger I sometimes wonder about is steel handlebar knuckle guards (I've seen them - they look awesome). What would happen if you were thrown forward and your hand and wrist were caught in them.. Probably thinking too much though.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost one from my blackbird on the last day of trip to germany last year.

literally couldn't feel my one hand during the whole ride home to wales due to the constant vibration.

don't ditch them.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

The danger I sometimes wonder about is steel handlebar knuckle guards (I've seen them - they look awesome). What would happen if you were thrown forward and your hand and wrist were caught in them.. Probably thinking too much though.

Do you mean like those on enduro bikes? Mine has tough plastic hand guards with some sort of alloy internal weights. I think!
This is mine. How stock it is for the bike I have no idea! (poor photo. I'm pissed)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7805/46931845111_9027118b8d_b.jpgBar end by Craig David, on Flickr

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Do you mean like those on enduro bikes? Mine has tough plastic hand guards with some sort of alloy internal weights. I think!
This is mine. How stock it is for the bike I have no idea! (poor photo. I'm pissed)

Great photo - I'm only one beer in and I would be proud of that. Thumbs Up

Nah, the ones I saw were bits of welded flat iron fitted to a really heavily customised bike (not a chop). They looked great - sort of like the hand guards on 17th century naval arming cutlasses.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:01 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

Probably more risk of falling off if your knuckles get rattled by a branch or some other thing than a guard being ripped off.
I think they are mostly plastic that deforms rather than breaks.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:30 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were thrown forward so your hand and wrist were caught in them then it's probably going to hurt.

But on the plus side, your levers won't be broken. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, I couldn't realistically fabricate a means of keeping the hand guards on the bike - they're just not a good fit, so I've abandoned it now. Bar weights back in place. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1