Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal Enfield Bullet 612cc project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well impressed with the use of the hairspray. Cool

Great project, the electrics would have bamboozled me Shocked

Hope your arm gets better soon.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:43 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did the electrics subtly wrong. I've been thinking a lot and I have the charging phase connected to the wrong side of the ammeter. The w3ay it was, it would never show charging, only draw.

I re-jigged it slightly and did a fair copy of the new wiring. This one doesn't show everything, just the nuts and bolts of it. With the correct wiring colours.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Dc5ajunSuniezh2-dBKNVsMzo9bV6r0i7fqDA_P1SyrDL-os-BSUQWXq56ThUDPkAwhoeHuO8stFFsUGKQ3m_LSxuoKxU2MKw-q4QJSdi7-f5GRFCiEuw15Ovu1zZizZrUDsLn0SbQ=w1164-h873-no

It also occurrs to me that I'm relying on a cheap Indian ignition switch as the sole means of killing this engine. I'm going to fit an additional kill switch. I have something cool in mind.

Oh, also fitted the back tyre on Friday. So it's got the shiny ebay wheel in and some decent rubber. Yes, it's skinny but this is the standard size tyre for classic racers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0XKS6d4b2uVmRuOmXK9RK4CQmxWlazZp9mKkpiFeWl6fJFIlsjRft3TiBdxn4lUuHwOP64ZniOS5b0BVIPusL6LJMBIlkY-JmM5qgzwdc0OOXhz-KxKkfI0PYErHNuIYB6alrDXglQ=w1164-h873-no

Hope to get the front end done tomorrow!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:24 - 23 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is as ready as I think it's going to be for the MOT.

I'm afraid I'm holding off posting pics of the finished article because it's stuck at the back of the shed just now behind a bike with its forks out and they won't do it justice.

The aim is to go for an MOT after the Dragon Rally in February (so I don't have to worry about getting it done before then, it being an annual outing). The overall plan is to show it at Into the Valley.

I fitted a secondary kill switch tonight. It's a boat kill switch, if you pull the tag out OR push it, it kills the engine. Should also act as a wee bit of extra security because if you don't know it needs a clip under that button, you aren't starting the engine. Going to replace the split ring with paracord so it doesn't mark the paint. Probably colour in the button black too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/w_M2FQ53yhOGJXGMivG76qKw18pUx_NbxL_UkH8o5YFxOyRZWrKUggW43hb8t7f6c36l5AVOZ_kHFjywCwijaL3bxqOS2WQBOL9PzXKR_QGwPFnf3Yj--mVnmvOxwx2VRZz9lFW3oQ=w655-h873-no

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:38 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YGjObQ2ksw4CmCNf6kzx9v6I_ggomDXnUtCqkftw2Ke5PjzwQtnotAWnNxVBl46OvL37F5fppg4NnsL4EsRk5vcIQo97cvhjBRLV4M4cYBeYZWZaceFkTrZCj4LbnLguuVRSdTfGIA=w655-h873-no

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Only problem was I'd got the headlight bulb in wrong (it's adjustable for left or right hand drive) but I just sorted it at the time.

Also got a letter off the guy for the change of engine number. Then I'll need to do a change of engine capacity, then insure it. No point in insuring it until the salt's gone off the road.

Today is the first time I've seen the whole bike, complete, in daylight. I am pretty pleased with the result. I hope it rides as well as it looks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ByvGqwtRvnpja9Ub7FIw0UyNfkfafZlsDg4n-7GctJ97iNMgLc79Nw6dnemHp1Ge63cHkCtX9JSe_0SfkeSK19sgrvTfbNc5rVLSIgN-9t66BHKQgCLNQl7fgwzRMYSKHI15EzfD6A=w1164-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PsuO7IN1OuHosG0LROoXPiJ45DFoMkBD3NFXB4Cs4xZdh0R4-kzA0384FAS7HlLjDRpH9fmTgm6d8yW-7bpv7wyo3zr0gN8F28E3D6Nna8MradD4-B4pSkZetAmkQFvg6tjAOUnt8Q=w655-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JIVPsMVnldr7gvJ5h8CYRgHlWDSaC48jO8OpwXtTJe_LnjNXXfHAZQZkoQGlM2DGkdyXveup_9QTDBXEiyGVch4wfC9x3r9ral070iKpuqh4HFyyUiv2F1xF-9zaxN3XKsPnshy1Eg=w1164-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Lyw4vvtlhslEnLFCOsROp_HVcAp3d92p1eOJoWTCyyodKJYRgwBfkjehBACmZdekiw4wIz2UZv6KAIhhJC4ItomVX6sVOz-6owBlWqEsyQ-9SZ4eD9LhsbI2cArYabt6IiqBN5EKyw=w1164-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/WnGPtYrQOT4O2Oxr_hdBwW8P4N_7uumwy4Uen2bl03uYk7DYZj5SzNFjhthj8FEa9QlILPOJJqXdidru9oeMdkxwS4saezvmMXlkxEnPiHU3E3PMLV9Dyspnbvdwf7OsXuFDFf6ptQ=w1164-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UeRO0spbForFfUsTuft24AmQP29DamLo3SFSBuVOEDLMq6MEsDGDpfFxK7dpJOi76kL6Qt6tcc8hkcdfVz-_D_EO3bQYzD3_WEajoMaPc6jWq78bbY1IyJmFemq_k43NZKqpTjp4oA=w1164-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/COoJw-4ZrjhUp908fx8w5HV3lL__fdU7YBtZ12bB3kCt52zf3FIySTmU3K8XJCk6iczO1Viki46tjVLy68OejDTTooZn0WKpcaR7OwUzKBMxxp2QRLDwiqg85a3gs7dFsf5mDGcqhA=w1164-h873-no

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:43 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats lovely, congrats on the MOT

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks a tidy piece of tackle!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:01 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, its not my taste at all, but I can see how much effort has gone into that and that you like it!

It does look ace, not my bag but can appreciate what it is. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwahh Ha Ha Ha Ha!

I just rode this motorcycle. It is utterly awesome and totally batshit. It does 50 in first, 70 in second and I can't hang onto it much above 90.

I thought they'd sent me a km/h speedo but it isn't, it was just accelerating really hard. going up 4 teeth on the gearbox sprocket was definately the right thing to do, even with a close-ratio gearbox.

It also makes a noise fit to wake the dead.

That is all!

I may attempt to do an onboard video to demonstrate the all encompassing sensory overload this thing delivers once it's had its shakedown service and I've replaced/tightened all the bits that fell off/came loose. I'm not sure the camera will cope. Mr. Green

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea verily, I doth covet.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda jealous reading that. Nothing better than a grin inducing blast.
A video would be awesome.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:43 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giz a go mister!?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, it turns out the slight clattering noise under power was NOT pinking!

I went to check the tappets and found this (inlet pushrod).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Lnb7NOhmmHeIVNK-6kf24N-sgAjAHBkAxsgzkyhWuix9KivxuHmeFZA_W7Sr1F0zegfalsEbSyeZ2zz8A5si36Luu8VkOyIfp-79GT6iGnGjQkMBarocKg2TaAJyZ8BRv9OQHdShBw=w655-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tGa--8HvcXusLeaQ5oxfk6c1yI4dzcVv2CPhTrA-3LnFKfK6UVpaFWKtUh4-U0rhciL5jCZn2ysBgU3_0J__s_2jDj0xzXskI1117uimouMo6vHWD7z6t--KgdpuPMd9ALt3gQrmUQ=w655-h873-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qeFc79rApKnERXFiULLBHVPBdtSYuBv97_Xufkvp3nfBCCYFGgPLXMcwfj0fDWzEXYwE6Ies5PHjQSs272TKkOwYzqGotDegKIC4sojs-bQ0KhtEGlahrXfd_6JXac0NbzFKG5iqAg=w655-h873-no

Minutes away from disaster. I'd be able to snap the end off with my fingers!

Luckily, the filter seems to have caught all the bits of alloy it shaved off the edge. I've checked the rocker blocks and there is no residue in there, the oilway gauzes are clear and the oil has only a slight metallic sheen (I was kind of expecting that anyway following the first oil change).

Next question is how did it happen so I don't do it again!

Overrevving?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:08 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard are your valve springs?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:53 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
How hard are your valve springs?

They are super-duper, high-lift double concentric ones with alloy collars.

After a large degree of head scratching and further trespassing on the good nature of people on the enfield forum (who were already upset by the idea of me doing 90mph on it before it had covered 50 miles, and said that's why it happened but couldn't come up with an actual mecchanical reason why thrashing it would bend a rod) I think I have it puzzled out.

Basically, the rod jumped the follower when I overrevved it having fluffed the gearchange. Normally, this would just see the bike stop but the edge of the (concave) adjuster seems to have landed square on top of the rising (convex) follower. That's a pretty unlikely happening but explains how I can have a crack in the metal rod on the INSIDE of the bend.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tfRNIN0NhALJ4PRTgMGA-F-fD5knyTyuEB7GNDcHe_t086OF0c5ZQl5G9WytJbHjpTiuStELHQlrV-WoCt0HLFGD1m8NYB1LLretMHJ0YipBPACNo0uLnF7tDOZbZvjfksKVh-z6Rg=w524-h698-no

Good. I can sleep now.

I will order a different adjuster in the morning which incorporates a metal collar that slides down over the adjuster to prevent them jumping off the follower. More reciprocating mass, buy hey-ho.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:12 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put another 200 miles on the bike at the weekend, riding round Northumberland/Durham/Cumbria.

Only a couple of minor niggles.

The headlamp aim is off. Too high. This was a pain because I had to ride out in the dark. On consideration I think it may be the "eyebrow" pushing the top of the reflector back in the mounting rim slightly. There's no vertical adjustment on these becauase the casquette is ridgidly fixed and when they were designed, you focused a headlamp by adjusting the position of the bulb in the reflector. To sort it out, I'll have to take the reflector out and fit a shim of saome sort. I suspect a piece of insulated electrical wire will do the job.

I didn't use enough P-clips on the rear portion of the wiring loom. I noticed my left reflector coming on with the lights and it's because the tyre has partially rubbed through the wire. Easy fixed.

It vibrated both bar ends out. I'll need to use a more substantial fixing than the expanding rubber bungs they come with. probably something like a rowl-bolt or one of those star-fangled nuts they use on mountain bike steering stems.

Mostly oil-tight. There is a slight weep round the oil filter housing nut which is nearly the only place I haven't fitted a dowty washer. I thought there was a primary oil leak but it's actually chain fling from the crankcase breather (which is pointed at the hose to oil it). I could fit a bunded breather to the oil filler neck but anything I do along that line will reduce the amount the engine can breathe. I think I'll live with it for now unless it gets silly. Option 3 is to run the breather hose to the back of the bike so it breathes on the windscreen of the car behind.

Still pinking slightly when under load at low revs. That was until I put a tank of 99 octane V-power in it. Then the pinking disappeared altogether and it started pulling like a train up hills even at lower revs. Such a noticeabble difference I wouldn't have thought it possible. I'm researching octane boost additives to stick in for when I can't get high octane pump fuel.

But yeah, well chuffed. It fits me well too.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Ps4p9ZUv0Twr4H7q8mqrdfU6wkm_J4wli560hx5e7Rr7FFY60jwjF_4DoYQFQ1m2LVHETpOyXYi2eK0HlsHfU4RP9kzvcnSQVu5SHSjfNAhZh8XKCXAfjDzI7gHmchg3OQ1XI9CYQg=w931-h698-no

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:04 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Shell 99

Yeah if it's pinking it'll run better on higher octane. That's the only real time higher octane fuel works. Some modern newfangled cars self adjust using a knock sensor, so can self adjust to high octane, but it's not that common.

The difference should be noticeable, and also if it runs OK on 99 it means it's in a healthy state of tune and you may not be able to get more compression out of it unless you're prepared to run avgas.

aceofhearts
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:57 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome!

I have a 2016 Classic EFI and would love to ride one of big engined monsters!

Hope you have a good summer on it Smile

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question: Do you sometimes make it to Westgate Road during weekdays? Almost certain I've seen you minus bike - I could be wrong though.

Sounds like the bike's breaking in nicely. There's always going to be things that shake loose or rub after initial assembly.
Still not sure if I like the idea of that make of bike but the single cylinder does appeal.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:12 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Serious question: Do you sometimes make it to Westgate Road during weekdays? Almost certain I've seen you minus bike - I could be wrong though.

Not me guv. Although I have a couple of dopplegangers about the place. I'm much bigger than any of the ones I've met though. That's not a small motorcycle. Also my beard is a lot bigger than it looks in that picture, it's braided and tucked up under the chinstrap.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I make a suggestion:

The plastic multi-connector between the two wiring halves looks a little out of place on this bike.

Take a look at GX16 aviation connectors - "inline" versions of both male and female are available otherwise you turn up loads of pairs where the male is panel mount (which might also work for you.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:40 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
May I make a suggestion:

The plastic multi-connector between the two wiring halves looks a little out of place on this bike.

Take a look at GX16 aviation connectors - "inline" versions of both male and female are available otherwise you turn up loads of pairs where the male is panel mount (which might also work for you.)

It's poked inside the wiring box where you can't see it now. But I'll keep those in mind for future reference. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:14 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a video.

Appologies for thew quality and portrait format, it was a bit of a lash-up because my camera mount is broken so I had to stick it to the side of my helmet.

https://youtu.be/rVI2w-DhdIk

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. I always look forward to updates on this bike.
Interesting how you turn the engine over to get oil to the bearings - I do similar because I know just how bad it is if they're dry when it starts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:57 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully not too bad because it's a roller bearing crank but it can't do any harm.

You may have noticed a cheapo chinese rev counter for until I get used to where it is and is not appropriate for me to rev it. It's perfectly capable of eating itself.

I like the bit where I pull out of a junction then overtake a car in second gear, on an enfield... Overtakes normally require advanced written notice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8