Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of downgrading... CRF250L?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Thinking of downgrading... CRF250L? Reply with quote

Hi all, after a bit of advice please!

I've been riding for around 12 years, mostly on 600cc's. I took a break after I witnessed my friend have a fatal accident on his motorcycle, however after a couple of years I wanted to get back on a bike and get over my fear of 2 wheels. At this point I bought a 2004 CBR600F which I enjoyed for a while but later sold to put towards a new car.

Fast forward to 2018 a friend offered me his Hornet 600 for cheap so I bought that. This is by far the grubbiest bike I've owned and quite rough round the edges, however it was nice having a bike again. I only really rode during the nicer months and in the dry.

I'm currently on the market for something much newer (if not brand new). I've always been a fan of Honda's and my local dealer has a couple of bikes that have caught my eye. Namely the CRF250L, CRF250Rally and the CB500X. These all have ABS and are within a "reasonable" budget for me.

The thing I like about the 250's is fuel consumption, not having to worry about the weather and having something that's agile for commuting (which is what I mainly do), it also looks like it has fun factor... The main thing that is putting me off is the speed really.

Has anybody else downgraded from 600cc+ machines? Will I always lust for more power?

Thanks in advance!
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have a Honda CB500X. Had it about 5 or 6 months.

I had a Kawasaki Versys 650 before this. So hardly something setting the world alight.

Pros of the 500:
It is so light, I can move it so easily by hand.
It's frugal. I mainly commute, and get 200+ out of a tank (£17 ish).
Looks attractive for what it is.

Cons of the 500:
It's a 500. 47hp feels enough, but on my regular jaunts out of the city it shows.
Two up, it definitely shows.
The petrol cap is a PITA, not hinged, comes completely off.

In hindsight, I should have got another 650. Interestingly, one of my other browser tabs is for a used 2017 Versys GT, with luggage, hand guards, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agile for commuting? Erm yeah I guess.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I down graded from a 1000cc sports bike to a 125cc (still have both)
I have a different experience on each bike however im more relaxed on the 125cc, done two bigish tours on the 125cc and doing it again this year.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an early CRF250L as second bike for winter and mild off-roading.
It's fun, it costs peanuts to run and can still keep up with main road traffic.
I wouldn't want to go very far on it though for a range of reasons.

It falls between stools to some extent though, as it's not brilliant off road even after a few minor mods and better tyres. On road you need to be patient at times. Overtaking something is a major milestone Wink

As you say they aren't expensive even new and seem to hold value well.
I'm surprised how the frame is holding up against rust as I rarely clean it and it goes in salt frequently.
All the plastics have major or minor scratching and all the decal transfer things have washed off. I couldn't care less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take one of the 250s out on a long test ride and see how you get on? I predict that in urban/semi-urban environments it'll have plenty enough grunt but depending on how you ride you might find it lacking a bit in the countryside and especially so on the motorway should you ever ride on them.

The 500X I think looks quite a nice bike and would probably be my choice out of the bikes you've listed . . .

One last thing, I've anecdotally noticed that off-road type bikes seem to be pretty popular with the thieving scum (around here at least) . . . not an issue if you've got somewhere reasonably secure to keep the thing, but worth bearing in mind perhaps?

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far guys, much appreciated!

Being in Norfolk we don't have any motorways, there are a few dual carriageways around, most of which I rarely use. It's mostly country roads or city traffic. I'm not too worried about thieves around here in all honesty.

I guess my main fear is blowing £4.5k on a bike and finding out after a month of riding I don't like it. Agreed I should do a test ride though and try mimic some of my daily riding.

Cheers
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:01 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fun on the road, I prefer a bike in the 30hp to 80hp range, ideally quite light weight with decent handling.
I like to be able to make use of the power and gears - while a sports 600 will exceed the speed limit in first gear generally.

Consider the depreciation and risk of theft with something like a CRF250L - likely you could get a bike that costs more on fuel, but the "Total Cost of Ownership" may be similar or less.

For commuting through traffic I want the broadest range of power possible in a light weight narrow and agile bike. Ideally also with decent ABS and TC so that you handle greasy and wet roads with half-asleep car drivers - so a superbike fits the bill.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Thinking of downgrading... CRF250L? Reply with quote

TimNorwich wrote:

I'm currently on the market for something much newer (if not brand new). I've always been a fan of Honda's and my local dealer has a couple of bikes that have caught my eye. Namely the CRF250L, CRF250Rally and the CB500X. These all have ABS and are within a "reasonable" budget for me.

The thing I like about the 250's is fuel consumption, not having to worry about the weather and having something that's agile for commuting (which is what I mainly do), it also looks like it has fun factor... The main thing that is putting me off is the speed really.

Expect to find the seat of the crf uncomfy. It's narrow, and it'll be pretty unyielding. The 500 will be far more pleasant. I think there's probably a Seat Concepts product thingy for the CRF - but it won't be cheap.

As you'll know, a single cylinder 250 four stroke is going to be sluggish and deeply unexciting. This might be what you "need" to get back into the swing of things, though. Consider also the klx250 - it's lighter than the crf and has more adjustment on the suspension.

Personally, afaic the only advantages of the crf and klx is that they can both be ridden on unmade roads very easily, especially with a tyre swap. But if you're not going to do anything like that I think they're quite appalling. It's no use trying to wring power from them - far, far better to short-shift and accept what levels of torque their little single cylinder configuration can manage.

I wouldn't really relish the prospect of a new Honda 500 either tbh, but it'll be a lot more viable than the crf.

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:47 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Thinking of downgrading... CRF250L? Reply with quote

I've always been a Honda man. Anything over 500cc starts to be out of reach in terms of budget.

The other thing I didn't mention was that I'm 6'2 and the CRF looks like a suitably sized bike for me.

Open to suggestions as always!

Cheers

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:20 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

600cc & 250cc two completely different ways to be motorcycling.

Most 600cc+ bike will cut through traffic, distance, & roads like a hot knife through butter.
Very easy, and if that’s what you want, then you already have the answer.

Personally I enjoy my ‘downsizing’ from 600 to 250.
I don’t think I lose out to much in traffic and my license is still in one piece.
B-roads are my playground.
I’ve never struggled with long distance on a 250.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Thinking of downgrading... CRF250L? Reply with quote

TimNorwich wrote:
I've always been a Honda man. Anything over 500cc starts to be out of reach in terms of budget.

If going second hand and not having to worry about ulez etc, size isn't too directly related to capacity.

And of course capacity isn't directly related to speed and power.
For instance I've owned 250cc bikes that make similar to and more power than a new 1200cc bike (and were definitely faster in all situations.)

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB500F is looking like a contender. Originally I set out for something with off road capabilities just in case the mood took me. It wasn't a make or break.

The CB500F looks pretty well equipped, LED head & tail lights, ABS, a bit more grunt than a 250 and just shy of 5k new, it looks pretty nice too.

Might go test ride one at the weekend!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:51 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimNorwich wrote:
shy of 5k new

For £5k you could get a GSX250R, a ZX6R J and a XR250 all second hand.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but two thirds of those aren't honda

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:17 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess part of the attraction is having a new bike, I've never had a new one before. Saying that, there are CB500F's for around the 4k mark that are a year or so old.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:18 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
yeah but two thirds of those aren't honda

Well, I thought it was worth leaving something from yawn-worthy-boring brand in, just in case he had trouble sleeping Razz.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimNorwich wrote:
I guess part of the attraction is having a new bike, I've never had a new one before.

They're like a good used bike, except you do this...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DnL6i5NWwAEvE0b.jpg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are buying a Honda CRF250L do consider 2nd hand.

Lots of newbie trail riders get them, upgrade them, wobble around on them, get more confident, and then go on to something more off road focused, so there are plenty of good examples with lots of upgrades for sale.

I think that they are great little bikes, and better than the sum of their parts, they are heavy and won't dance up tricky lanes like lighter bikes, but they will get there. I rode mine on motorways a lot, and trail rides, with no adjustments in between, save folding the RAM mount mirrors in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
If you are buying a Honda CRF250L do consider 2nd hand.

Lots of newbie trail riders get them, upgrade them, wobble around on them, get more confident, and then go on to something more off road focused, so there are plenty of good examples with lots of upgrades for sale.

I think that they are great little bikes, and better than the sum of their parts, they are heavy and won't dance up tricky lanes like lighter bikes, but they will get there. I rode mine on motorways a lot, and trail rides, with no adjustments in between, save folding the RAM mount mirrors in.

I still kinda fancy the supermoto version but there doesn't seem to be that many about and they're expensive; they were like 4k new. Also I'm not sure about the Thai' build quality.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand is not an issue, they also make Isuzu trucks which are everywhere.
It's similar to Nissan in Sunderland they are built to Honda and Isuzu standards not like a Chinese copy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Thailand is not an issue, they also make Isuzu trucks which are everywhere.
It's similar to Nissan in Sunderland they are built to Honda and Isuzu standards not like a Chinese copy.

Hmm a lot of the recent Honda issues involved Thai bikes iirc, also bikes from other manufacturers made there.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1