BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT to DAS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:00 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

Passed my CBT in November and have been riding CB125F since. Although I am enjoying it, it was only ever to get practice before doing DAS.

Well it's all booked

Theory - 21st Feb
Training - 5th April
Mod1 - 8th April
Mod2 - 16th April (edited as put wrong date in)

Here goes.

Last edited by RAYK47 on 14:42 - 06 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

Good luck, but aren't you putting the cart before the horse by booking your tests before you have even begun training, that has surely got to add loads of pressure on you when you are already going to be overwhelmed by the big bike experience

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:20 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Good luck, but aren't you putting the cart before the horse by booking your tests before you have even begun training, that has surely got to add loads of pressure on you when you are already going to be overwhelmed by the big bike experience

That's generally just how booking a DAS course works. That said, you'd normally be recommended to book mod 1 and 2 at least 10 days apart. If you fail your mod 1 for whatever reason, the likelihood of you securing another slot within 3 days (before your mod 2 is scheduled) is pretty much non-existent. If you then have to re-book your mod 2 date because you've not passed mod 1, you won't get a refund for the cancelled mod 2 unless you cancel it more than 10 days in advance and you'll lose your £90.

I'm surprised that your school have suggested booking four days apart. Just don't fuck up.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:
I'm surprised that your school have suggested booking four days apart. Just don't fuck up.

I did mine on the same day.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your schedule suggests all the training, then the tests . . . if you can, I'd suggest breaking your training in half and having training for mod 1 before the mod 1 test (as close to as possible), then having mod 2 training between mod 1 test and mod 2 test. The two tests have completely different mindsets - the training for the mod 1 is an extremely repetitive "drill" of repeating manoeuvres over and over again, trying to shave off tiny differences each time so you can nail it on test day. The mod 2 test is all about perception, dealing with varying hazards etc. that the real world throws at you. Personally, I found the mod 2 training mentally exhausting as it was urban biking for pretty much a full day, deliberately encountering challenging junctions/environments, so a lot of thinking. Mod 1 training was completely different (for that, in my case, read frustrating!).

Good luck though, you've got the benefit of riding around for experience, just try to leave any habits at the door when you do the mod 2 training. Thumbs Up

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:39 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Maybe I was not clear but there is also training on the days of the tests. And I went with what the school recommended between tests. They said 8 days was enough and cited failure of mod1 as the reason for that.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:

That's generally just how booking a DAS course works. That said, you'd normally be recommended to book mod 1 and 2 at least 10 days apart. If you fail your mod 1 for whatever reason, the likelihood of you securing another slot within 3 days (before your mod 2 is scheduled) is pretty much non-existent. If you then have to re-book your mod 2 date because you've not passed mod 1, you won't get a refund for the cancelled mod 2 unless you cancel it more than 10 days in advance and you'll lose your £90.

I think you are confusing DAS with Intensive training, a DAS course is Direct Access, as in you old enough to go straight to category A and not have to progress from a lower class of licence (know as Progressive Access)

My DAS course took place over the period of around 3 months, and i only booked the MOD 1 and MOD 2 when i was ready to do them (and once i had already passed the previous test obviously)

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:51 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school seemed confident that was the advised way to do it so I went with it. I guess because I have been riding a 125 for a few months they assumed I was competent enough to do it this way.

I am going to go for it anyway and see what happens.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:53 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I think you are confusing DAS with Intensive training, a DAS course is Direct Access, as in you old enough to go straight to category A and not have to progress from a lower class of licence (know as Progressive Access)

My DAS course took place over the period of around 3 months, and i only booked the MOD 1 and MOD 2 when i was ready to do them (and once i had already passed the previous test obviously)

I guess different schools do different things. Camrider, at least, get everything booked in advance but with enough space for it to be reorganised if need be. I've not been to another school but presumed this would be normal.

Booking both in one day is risky business but hey, if it works, it works!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

pig hog wrote:

I guess different schools do different things. Camrider, at least, get everything booked in advance but with enough space for it to be reorganised if need be. I've not been to another school but presumed this would be normal.

Booking both in one day is risky business but hey, if it works, it works!

Indeed, there are many ways to skin a cat, some schools prefer to offer Intensive type training, some do not

It does seem to be quite a common misconception that DAS = week long intensive training, but it's certainly not the norm everywhere

I took my training at my own pace, having lessons when i could fit them in around work in evenings and weekends, and even then i found it exhausting and mentally draining having 1 or 2 sessions a week (i had also ridden on a CBT for 6 months prior)

Some of the more unscrupulous schools love to offer intensive courses, then sell "additional training" to the pupils if they fail their 1 st test

The school i used was a flat fee (apart from rests fees) for as many hours as required to pass, over as long a time period as required (within reason of course)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

3 months Confused Schools as you say operate differently, Camrider have their (shortest) course spread out over 2.5 weeks, I found a 3 day DAS exhausting and genuinely don't think I could have managed a 4th or 5th day.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: CBT to DAS Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

3 months Confused Schools as you say operate differently, Camrider have their (shortest) course spread out over 2.5 weeks, I found a 3 day DAS exhausting and genuinely don't think I could have managed a 4th or 5th day.

I've just looked back, and it was more like under 2 months actually, but yes, doing a 1-2 hour lesson once or occasionally twice a week, the guide they give of 18 hours worth of training is about right

As i say, i took it at my own pace, i could have booked in more lessons more quickly if i liked, but it worked for me with 1st time passes on both tests, so i can't complain

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:08 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it all goes well Very Happy

There doesn't seem to be a standard formula (or rather often people seem to assume what they did was standard).

I got lots of practice on a CB125F also Thumbs Up , but tackled the Mod 1 and Mod 2 separately. I just paid for lessons until I was ready (which turned out to be about 1.5 days for Mod 1 and 4 hours for Mod 2). I fluffed the first Mod 1 on nerves (purely my own stupidity), which delayed everything as although I passed it about a week later, I had to go away for a bit to see relatives and then it took me a while to get a booking.

Watch lots of videos on youtube, practice the cone stuff in a car park if you can and start riding the 125 as if you are in a test regularly. Do buy some theory hazard practice online (there is an official site for this), it is a bit like a computer game rather than real life and it would be easy to fail if you have got an idea of how it works.

I found the Mod 1 more stressy by far, which is counter-intuitive as it is a more controlled predictable environment, I got a couple of ride outs on the Mod 1 training so got a bit of Mod 2 practice in there and the 125cc practice filled in the rest, my four hours later on was basically "well if you fail it is your fault for doing something stupid". Ride solid and safe on the Mod 2 and you should be fine, if a pink kangaroo (or similar) runs out unexpectedly from behind a park car and causes you to fail, that is life, odds are on you will pass next time (unless you are an unlucky sod).

Last tip, get a strategy for ensuring you turn off indicators when needed, even if that is not normally a problem, you may forget if thinking about what the examiner is going to say next etc. Saved my bacon, I got a minor for almost leaving them on too long after pulling off from the curb once, he said it would have been a fail a couple of seconds longer, but congratulated me on the double check (my mental indicator lifesaver saved me).

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:00 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Some great advice.

I have got rid of the wife and son for a week from the 5th so I intend to practice all weekend (in test conditions).

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

School can cancel mod2 without 10 days notice.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:01 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD1 this afternoon. Not great weather in Herts but here goes.

Mike79
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:12 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
MOD1 this afternoon. Not great weather in Herts but here goes.

Good Luck. I'm sure you will smash it. Make sure you shoulder check before starting each manoeuvre. And take your time after the manual handling before starting the slalom. Get your breath back first, there is no rush

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, as said, take your time - there's no time limit on each section, just think each exercise through before doing it. Shoulder checks everytime you move off (including from the bays at the test centre before you enter the MOD1 ground!) and don't forget the mirror checks after the emergency stop.

Don't worry about the weather; the surface at the MOD1 test area is the grippiest you'll ever come across. Just squeeze rather than grab the brakes when you do your fast stops.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this helpful?

https://begin-motorcycling.co.uk/how-to-pass-your-module-1-bike-test/

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP M.C.

Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:10 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Well, weather was tipping it down this morning but it cleared up nicely in time for the test.

All practicing we well and I was consistently coving all manoeuvres well. The fast sections were consistently at 56kph.

So got to Cambridge for the test and all was good. One minor for getting clocked at 46kph on the avoidance. Redid it and clocked in at 56kph. So all in all it went well.

MOD2 week tomorrow.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Good luck with mod 2! Thumbs Up

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:02 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

good lad,super!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2