Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV Show Box Sets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian Doll. Netflix

Fast-talking, gobby New Yorker finds herself trapped in Groundhog Day type loop, dying over and over again while trying to find out whether the joint she smoked was the cause of her predicament.

Quite gothic, funny, clever and intriguing.

Would watch again...........

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Last Resort

crew of a nuclear sub get a very dodgy order to fire and ignore it, hold up on a small island and stand off against the world

interesting, albeit far fetched premise, pilot was okay

watched two episodes now and it looks like it is going to be a pretty formulaic show - with the usual tv tropes, cliff hangers, power struggles and shadowy conspiracies - I fear the latter will be of the will we / won't we get another series nonsense

might stick with it, but

I like it even though mostlt its because it demonstrates the fact that once you have nuclear weapons then you have a functioning country never mind if you have no functioning currency or balance of trade. But yeah it is a bit overpopulated with central casting clones.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:42 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working my way through Luther, on Series 3. It is better when Alice is around though.

Finished watching Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix. It might be a bit light and airy, but it is alright to watch and genuinely funny in places.

Same goes for The Good Place, but that is consistently funnier. Not sure what they are gonna do for S4 though....

I watched the first couple of episodes of Russian Doll after seeing a brilliant review on Den Of Geek. Enjoying it, and looking forwards to seeing how it all plays out. I like the Groundhog Day / Happy Death Day vibes.

Also, started watching Mr Robot. How good is this? It's also a good example of IT being portrayed (relatively) realistically.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
Mr Robot. How good is this?

Hmm. Liked it less as S1 went on. I started suspecting a particular plot twist about halfway through the series, but thought no, surely they wouldn't do that; and in any case it wouldn't make sense; and I decided if it was so, then I would be out.

Final episode reveal - it was, and I was.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
CBFcarl wrote:
Mr Robot. How good is this?

Hmm. Liked it less as S1 went on. I started suspecting a particular plot twist about halfway through the series, but thought no, surely they wouldn't do that; and in any case it wouldn't make sense; and I decided if it was so, then I would be out.

Final episode reveal - it was, and I was.

It was obvious, season 2 has another obvious twist, season 3 was all over the place.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 05 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It was obvious

But it broke the 'unspoken rules' for that particular type of twist, which was why I thought it wasn't going to happen. Anyway - good to hear I ain't been missing out.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just started watching the Twin Peaks limited event series (series 3) and i've just taken delivery of the complete series 1 and 2 on blueray.

I love the whole Twin Peaks thing. After watching a few of the series 3 episodes i'm convinced David Lynch is actually a genius.

Is anyone else a Twin Peaks fan?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Ive just started watching the Twin Peaks limited event series (series 3) and i've just taken delivery of the complete series 1 and 2 on blueray.

I love the whole Twin Peaks thing. After watching a few of the series 3 episodes i'm convinced David Lynch is actually a genius.

I recently tried to watch the original series as someone mentioned it, I couldn't get into it, the show felt a lot older than 1990. I might have to give the new one a try.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

I recently tried to watch the original series as someone mentioned it, I couldn't get into it, the show felt a lot older than 1990. I might have to give the new one a try.

I think it would be pointless watching the third season if you haven't been into the original. Also a big factor is if you watched the original series back in the day.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 07 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just gave the first episode film(?) of the third series a go, I didn't have a clue what was going on. It seems weird Smile

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:08 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
It seems weird Smile

Brick Wall Its David Lynch! of course its weird.

What you have to keep in mind with Twin Peaks is that it was always promoted as a Soap. So at one level its a typical eighties Soap, at another level its an old fashioned Film Noir detective mystery. You may think it looks old fashioned but at the time it also had elements which were old fashioned. Also the whole metaphysical aspect was totally new but today of course its nothing novel whether its outright fantastical adventure like Supernatural or comical like Preacher. So that might seem dated as well but of course in 1990 it was groundbreaking. The only other TV that came close was stuff by Dennis Potter (The Singing Detective). Back in those days it was british TV that was doing the weird stuff that pushed boundaries. US TV was incredibly conservative and predictable so when Lynch and Frost produced Twin Peaks it was pretty amazing stuff. Give Series 1 and the movie Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me (a prequel) a go. Series 2 is harder going as mid series it drags a bit as Lynch was forced to stretch out the series by the tv company but it is the stuff that paved the way for a lot of TV that we take fro granted today.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stating the obvious Wink The first series felt like a 70's show, although I think I only gave it an episode. The new series you could tell they were trying to go 'retro', I think the stream I watched last night was the first two episodes but I was struggling towards the end.

I dunno maybe we're used to weird now, but Stranger Things was good weird, Twin Peaks seems to be just weird. I might try the film if I'm very bored.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to start watching 'The Expanse' tonight. SciFi jobby.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

3 series on Prime.

I will report back Captain........

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Going to start watching 'The Expanse' tonight. SciFi jobby.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

3 series on Prime.

I will report back Captain........

I watched episode 1. It might turn out ok but it also looks awash with clones from central casting.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I was stating the obvious Wink The first series felt like a 70's show, although I think I only gave it an episode. The new series you could tell they were trying to go 'retro', I think the stream I watched last night was the first two episodes but I was struggling towards the end.

I dunno maybe we're used to weird now, but Stranger Things was good weird, Twin Peaks seems to be just weird. I might try the film if I'm very bored.

There`s a lot of amerikana in Twin Peaks so Lynch references a lot of tv from prior decades. Check out Audrey Horne, shes like a fifties bobby-soxer.

Stranger Things is good but its also sadly retro. Too overloaded with rehashed eighties movies. I liked it but thought it was sad that way.

The film really helps in understanding whats going on. I think the new series is good, im watching it at the same time as re-watching the original series but in some ways I think the producers are flogging a dead horse. Dead in the sense that unless the audience is familiar with the original series its just going to look like a run of the mill mystery/thriller/metaphisical thing that audiences have got used to. Not only that a new audience is just not going to understand just how complicated it really is.

I entirely understand how Twin Peaks can leave a modern audience feeling a bit flat. As i said previously though its not properly understood unless its appreciated in terms of the age of television when it was first shown, which may be impossible.

Keep at it though things really hot up come episode 5 onwards.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hots up? Madeline Zima (jailbait from Californiacation) gets her kit off early doors Wub

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 08 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hots up? Madeline Zima (jailbait from Californiacation) gets her kit off early doors Wub

Ya just have to lower the tone Rolling Eyes

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:11 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching a remake of Das Boot, or is that a reboot of of Das Boot?

Anyway, wasn't sure it really needed remaking, but so far so good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:26 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

The original is so good. I watched it a couple of years ago for the first time in twenty years and felt it held up perfectly so I was wondering why they had to go remake it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

That is one of the all time greats. It works in it's original format so well. The depth charging scenes are nausea inducing.

Who's made the new one because if it's the yanks, I'll probably want to shove a torpedo where the sun dosn't shine. Laughing

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:46 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

The original is so good. I watched it a couple of years ago for the first time in twenty years and felt it held up perfectly so I was wondering why they had to go remake it.

It’s a sequel set later in the war when the hunter became the hunted after we’d broken the Enigma code Thumbs Up I’m three episodes in and it’s pretty good, although not as good as the original

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I was going to see it but I'm holding back on that, I will probably see it on catch up when I'm in the mood.

At the moment I'm on a CSI NY binge, season 3 and got the shock of my life when I saw meghan markle's name in the opening credits in one episode.. (she did a CSI Miami episode as well)

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

It’s a sequel set later in the war when the hunter became the hunted after we’d broken the Enigma code Thumbs Up I’m three episodes in and it’s pretty good, although not as good as the original

ah, makes sense, I was a kid when I saw the originals and memory is fuzzy and not giving it my fullest attention now, so missed that it had moved on - I guess the opening sequence was explaining that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
At the moment I'm on a CSI NY binge, season 3 and got the shock of my life when I saw meghan markle's name in the opening credits in one episode.. (she did a CSI Miami episode as well)

She was a major character in Suits.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to get out my To-Do list shortly.
I had a duvet day yesterday and finished off Grace and Frankie AND I am on the last episode of Series of Unfortunate Events.

I need to watch something a bit more ... substantial this time.
Laughing

#TeamCountOlaf
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 37 of 61