Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shark Evo One II flip front lid - advise

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ManinUK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:44 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Shark Evo One II flip front lid - advise Reply with quote

Anyone got a Shark Evo One II lid?

I like the look of this helmet but it never comes out very good in any reviews. Is it that bad?
Anyone got some experience using one?

Cheers

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:49 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not got one myself but this review on visor down seems ok.

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/product/tested-shark-evo-one-2-flip-front-helmet[/url]

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think mine's an Evo II... have to say I do rather like it.... as far as flippability goes. It was the only flip on the market, you could practically wear as either an open, or a full-face, and offered almost the best-of-both-worlds, with the chin-piece flipping right over the hat, rather than leaving you looking like a cartoon T-Rex waiting for your dinner, with the wind ripping your head off if you tried to actually ride like that!

That's the good points over.

Bad points is that its heavy. And for a poly-carb hat, it's remarkably heavy, as heavy as the 'cheap' fibre-glass hat Snowie had a while back, heavier than my old tri-matric carbon/kevlar mix Shoe, by a long stretch.... which you 'may' feel when you wear one. More noticeable is the change in balance when you flip the chin over.

Build quality? Err... yeah.. for a £300 hat, I sort of expected better. Maybe not as good as my old Shoe... but still.. it leaves something to be desired when you have forked out that much.

Visor? Niggly. You can open or close the flip, on-the-move, one handed with a little practice, which is a bit nice.... but, you have to make sure the Visor is half open first, which puts a chunk of the faff back! You can also get in a bit of a tangle with it, especially if you forget, even stood on say a petrol-station forecourt.

I also have a gripe over the visor 'clips'.... on mine, I eventually broke one side.... they are rather poor, and the visor themselves? Eff-off expensive. Like £50 to replace, do I just buy a new hat, expensive!

Elsewise, its pretty cool. The popable/washeable lining is neat, if a little fiddly to pop in and out. Vent clip logo plate now keeps popping out of mine, again, showing the lack of fit/finish. Mines the supposedly 'Night-Glo' pin-stripe color scheme.. very tron.... and I'm not so sure that I actually like it 'that' much... would probably have likes it a 'bit' more if I had ever actually seen it glow in the dark! Apparently it has to be left in day-light to 'charge up' the paint... for a very very very long time! The 'bag' you get to keep it in when not in use, sort of defeats this feature some..... but hey-ho lol.

Likes? The ride open or closed. And the ability to pretty easily switch twixt the two, even on the move.

Dislikes? The price, and the fact that the build isn't up to the expectation of the price.

But, if you want a hat that is as close as genuinely best-of-both-wolds open/full-face, its the closest yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:52 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Shark Evo One II flip front lid - advise Reply with quote

ManinUK wrote:
I like the look of this helmet but it never comes out very good in any reviews. Is it that bad?

Forget about how it looks or how it does in reviews.

The single most important thing is how well a helmet fits you.

Go to a shop (J&S or somewhere big like that) and try on as many different lids as possible, only then will you know which one is going to give you the most protection in the event of a crash. If you just order a Shark Evo One II and when it arrives you think it fits you well, you've no idea how the fit compares to all the other helmets there are to choose from.

Fit is everything.

ManinUK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:25 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for a very detailed reply. You seem to have hit the nail right on the head of my worries ..................

All the best points are summed up in a few words but the bad points needs a few more paragraphs.

As most of my riding is slow commuting I am ready for a flip-front lid and that one does by far look the best...........
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure!

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY Son has one and so does my touring buddy.
I too have worn one.
Heavier helmets than most others, but the quality of build is excellent, and the inner lining is very comfortable and of quality feel.
The inner foam is hugging and reassuring providing you with an overall head protection.
Weird cam type ride of the chin bit, but well engineered and once used to it is easy to use.
Wind noice is minimal but that does depend on the bike fairing and wind direction etc.
I too am going to buy one this Spring.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the evo one 2 a new helmet... not an evoline?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:16 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManinUK wrote:
As most of my riding is slow commuting I am ready for a flip-front lid and that one does by far look the best...........
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure!

Oh-Kay.... well, round-town, big-bike or small, I tend to reach for my 'Open-Face'.. a REALLY cheapo, £30 unpronounceable! It's a traditional poly-carb 'stadium' style. It was cheap, like REALLY cheap; looks traditional, which 'fitted' the old air-cooled DT which I was restoring when I got it. And there's not much more to say about it... it was THIRTY QUID! At that kind of money, expectations are not very high, and who cares if you drop it, or bash it, or the milk-carton splits when using it as a shopping basket in the Tescos Express! BUT... the very fact there's nothing more to say, is answer enough...

The Shark? I first saw the brand when they were first introduced to the UK around 1993/4... as a mid-range hat, then, they were pretty good VFM, and it was disappointing when I spotted how heavy the Evo was, because they had, originally made a point of how comparatively 'light' their (Admittedly Full-Face) hats were. But, the quality of finish on them was good, and above other hats in the price range... it may just be peculiar to the Evo, and the fact mines an older one, that that finish isn't so comparable any-more... or not... it's hard to say, but the fragile visor clips would tend to suggest cost-cutting to offer the 'features' and novelty of a flip that works, so could be just the flip, but was disappointing.

If I am heading further than popping to the shops, I grab the Shark. Faults aside, it DOES just work. I mostly use it in the 'Open' position; and flip it to FF only when I might start pressing on a bit, or hit the duelie or M-Way, or if it starts raining more than a mizzle... and it is nice to be able to make that flip on the move.

MISTING... I didn't mention, probably because its not a problem with open-face hats very much, and thats how I mostly wear the Evo.

I actually bought my first Shoei, in the mid 80's, after trying on every hat in the shop, and doing an obscene telephone call impression inside to see how badly the hat misted.... and the Shoei, was about the only one in the shop that didn't really.... and at the time, folk called me 'Mad' for spending, I think it was £160 on a, then, unknown, unproven 'foreign' helmet, when I could have had the B-M-F favourite of a 'Bell-Star' for the price of an AGV, I think it was X5, the 'clubmans' favourite, ACU approved full face, less!

It still misted... and in later days, on later hats, a Fog-City shield, (Precursor to pin-lock) fitted to brand new 'spare' visor at time of purchase, offered precaution on dank mornings.... WHEN I tended to grab the open-face anyway, 'cos they dont have a visor to mist up, for starters! And if the weathers a bit dank, I wasn't going to be pushing it any, and they are convenient.

With the Shark... you have potentially all that benefit on a mizzly morning, where you can avoid misting and vent faffing, just flipping it... A-N-D you still have the visor keeping the water out your eyes... bit like an old police riot hat.... and I actually had one of them... briefly, very very briefly, on a really old Stadium 'Open', in the very early 80's! (The bracket that went over the peak clips was more wont to move over the back of the hat, than the supposedly hinged visor was, if you tried to lift it! You'd end up riding along with the visor hanging off the back of the hat from a press-stud belt-loop, on its elastic straps, banging you on the back, wondering whether it was worth stopping, for the forth time to put it back!... things have come a L-O-N-G ways!)

So for all-round general-purpose use, the Shark 'flip' does have a lot going for it, and despite the annoyance of the cost of the visor, and the pop-out badge on the chin, and the fact that it IS an expensive hat.... I probably WOULD buy another...

But.... I can live without the gimicks... and round town, and even further afield, I often DO live without it, using that 'cheap' open.

Fit? Yeah, it is important, and you do need to try-before-you-buy.... Safety? Err... they are all e-marked, these days, and if you crash? The Sharp Ratings WOULDN'T really be top of my worry-list! Like I said, I am happy wearing a £30 open, even at NSL+... for brief blasts! And pretty much anything plod cant moan at, is 'good-enough' as far as I'm concerned.... it's like a fire extinguisher, as far as the crash-protection goes... I hope, NEVER to actually NEED it!

Bottom line IS unfortunately that the Shark flip, is a bit of an oddity. Its the only really open or full face helmet around. Other flips 'sort' of suggest both, but practically don't, really. It IS gimicky, it IS expensive, and it IS heavy.... BUT.... if it fits, and you like it.... you'll like it.... if not, you'll likely hate it, but either way, you'll never know unless you get one and give it a go.... can you afford the asking-price to try?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ManinUK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:09 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input.
I am feeling better about this now. Finding some people who like this has cheered me up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1