Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is track tuition of value on the road?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

Does track tuition imptovr road riding skills?
Yes, it improves confidence in yourself and the bike
50%
 50%  [ 12 ]
No, it has no value under road riding conditions
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know, never done a track day
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
Never done a track day but I know everything anyway
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 24

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Is track tuition of value on the road? Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on another thread so just wondered what the majority of opinion is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay12329
Dr. Evil

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My road riding has become a lot smoother and I feel more in control of the bike due to mistakes I’ve made on track. I know how much I can push the bike before it says no, I can brake harder with more control then I could before going on the track. I’m happier leaning the bike and hanging off. Track riding has turned this conservative and passive road user into a more confident one, making choices for himself not just following the guy in front.
J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 12:05 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your poll choices leave a little to be desired.

I wouldn't say improving confidence in yourself and the bike would translate to better road riding skills for everyone, but I wouldn't say it had no value either Confused

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the limits of your vehicle is always going to be a big plus, no matter how you discover them. It's called experience, and there are lots of different ways to gain it.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 12:59 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since starting supermoto I find my bike control improved, I ride on the road (SV650) a lot smoother than before, I'm not a fast road rider any more, I used to try and go fast but now I just aim to be smooth and in complete control! (I'm not exactly slow though) I know my bikes limits more since track days, the KTM and SV are different, but bike control is bike control.. and riding the KTM has improved general bike control. Biggest increase in bike control was after Lydd track day on the WR400 supermoto.

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:05 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Knowing the limits of your vehicle is always going to be a big plus, no matter how you discover them. It's called experience, and there are lots of different ways to gain it.

Problem is, if the last weekend is anything to go by, people aren't living long enough to get any experience.
Experience is something you don't have until you least need it.
The alternative is to find ways of short cutting the learning curve e.g. Advanced rider courses and track days and I would put them in that order. Learn how to ride safely within your competence level first then increase your competence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fuzz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book I've been reading, Sports Riding Techniques, uses examples from the track as a lesson for the road, so I would say yes. it does help. Good read Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:20 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Helps in some ways. Probably can hinder in a few other ways.

If you use it to practice how to get round corners quickly and use that knowledge to ride harder on the roads then it is probably just going to shorten your life expectancy.

Used to gain some skill that you only use when required then it could save your neck.

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely a good way to learn about your bike, which can help a lot in nasty situations on the road.

Another important factor is that a lot of people that did ride a 'bit to fast' on the road, have calmed down after doing trackdays as the road just doesn't compare. I'm definitely included in that group.

Advanced riding teaches you about the road, while riding on track teaches you about your bike.
Both are useful on the road.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Keith I can see a potential hazard where a rider may expect to be able to ride on the road exactly as they did so last week on a trackday, without adjusting their riding for the road surface/traffic volume etc.

But then again, like Korn said - bike experience is bike experience. The more hours in the saddle the more experience you gain. Thumbs Up

Although what the hell do I know huh? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Like Keith I can see a potential hazard where a rider may expect to be able to ride on the road exactly as they did so last week on a trackday, without adjusting their riding for the road surface/traffic volume etc.

Track riding is so different that I think the majority of people won't do that; you would come off on the first corner probably Smile.

Maybe people that didn't push it quite so much more than they do on the road could start to ride faster on the road.
However the general consensus is that people slow down on the road.

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:53 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

It funny that many professional racers say they feel at more risk on the road at normal speeds than they do in the track while racing. Remember Hodgson saying something like that.

mad-wolfie
Drama Queen

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoffo wrote:
Problem is, if the last weekend is anything to go by, people aren't living long enough to get any experience.
Experience is something you don't have until you least need it.
The alternative is to find ways of short cutting the learning curve e.g. Advanced rider courses and track days and I would put them in that order. Learn how to ride safely within your competence level first then increase your competence.

Must add - just because you have done a track day & learned from it once or twice doesn't suddenly make you invincable.

Matt, who was one of the bikers killed over the weekend (& also a personal friend of mine) was a track day regular & even had his own race bike which he used on trackdays & was planning to enter into proddy racing.

here he was at mallory on a track day.

https://images.faceparty.com/public/947/images/motor6_8803106.jpg

https://images.faceparty.com/public/892/images/motor6_7929768.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I've lost track. Was that the guy that died racing or one of the guys that died on the road?

mad-wolfie
Drama Queen

PostPosted: 15:30 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the road.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44730

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie - no offence but can you get rid of your banner in your sig please - it's getting on my fucking tits Thumbs Up

[edit] Thankyou, whoever did it Thumbs Up

Zoffo
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:16 - 22 Mar 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Wolfie - no offence but can you get rid of your banner in your sig please - it's getting on my fucking tits Thumbs Up

[edit] Thankyou, whoever did it Thumbs Up

Aw...now I want to see what was so annoying, can you put it back Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1