Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bad backs and centre stands

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Bad backs and centre stands Reply with quote

For the umpteenth time I've done my back in trying to get the Fazer onto the centre stand. Would it be easier to get a paddock stand instead, I've never used one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:15 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you'll just have to master the art of holding the bike whilst putting the paddock stand in place. Mr. Green

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one of these
https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the work of putting a bike on the centre stand should be done in the legs by pushing down on the foot lever. If you want to make it easier have someone weld a bit of an extension to the lever.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:48 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Most of the work of putting a bike on the centre stand should be done in the legs by pushing down on the foot lever. If you want to make it easier have someone weld a bit of an extension to the lever.

This - legs and maybe a bit of a rock to get it rolling back onto it.
You should be able to do with it using relatively little muscle.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed I should be able to do it, and a couple of years ago I could, but it looks like I'm on the way to having the same knackered spinal discs my mum has, so paddock stands seem to be the only solution. Anyway can someone recommend makes to go for/avoid, is a bobbin system better, can bobbins be fitted to a 2003 Fazer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:21 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures of the 2003 Fazer swing arm, I don't think they've got a thread which can be used for bobbins.

Cheap tubular paddock stands are to be avoided because they'll staart to twist and bend and be crap. Box section ones along the lines of the Harris stands are what you want although the Harris ones are a bit pricey! Tubular ones aren't the end of the world as long as they're not shitty ones. Laughing

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look and you're right, no bobbin mounts on the Fazer.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any stand is going to require some amount of heft to get it up (fnar) so if the centre stand dicks your back, I doubt a paddock stand would do it much good either.

You need a hydraulic solution. I use an Abba Skylift for maintenance that would ordinarily have me on my hands and knees. Once you have the knack of it, getting the bike up on it is hilariously simple. The downside is it's a very expensive piece of kit.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abba stand. You can assemble it all while the bike is on the side stand, then stand up straight and use the lever to get the bike upright and on the stand. Safest for your back.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazers are a pig to get on the swing arm support type paddock stand like this one.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/oxford_rear_paddock_stand_ride.jpg

There is no provision for bobbins (on a 2000 anyway).

Get an Abba stand.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:13 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same problem with the Divvy when the rear tyre is worn, the smaller diamiter makes it a struggle. Easiest solution I have found is to wheel the bike backwards onto an inch thick piece of timber, (back wheel only), and this makes the centre stand slightly straighter to begin with. So much easier, pull wood out after leaving bike happy on centre stand.

Hope that might help
Stalk

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
Have the same problem with the Divvy when the rear tyre is worn, the smaller diamiter makes it a struggle.

And the difference between a new and worn tyre is..... Only a few M/m...

Divvy is a piece of piss to put on center stand.... You just put all your body weight on the stand and it lifts the bike up and onto to it...

No need to pull on the bars or strain your back...

Pretty much the same for any bike.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:30 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should point out that mine has a fazer rear shock, coz I’m tight, and it should and is easy when the tyre is new, but when the tyre is worn it doesn’t matter if I have my full body weight on it, it’s not happening, and I’ve had the bike for enough years and 5 sets of tyres to know. Anyway, the point of my explanation was to try to help the op.
All the best chap!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t you ride the rear wheel onto a plank of wood or something to give yourself a fighting chance?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a helper bar for when you need to put the stand down. Sort of like a loose extension piece that you can use for extra leverage.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:31 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swingarm pivot stands have the advantage of a big fucking lever you can pull on, whilst also using your foot, and in my case, preference of pushing the bike forwards, rather than reverse, tho I can use stand either way round.

https://i.postimg.cc/V6gHS573/IMG-20190211-020632.jpg

* Some core and back strengthening excersises might be more use if you are a fat old git like most on here.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:22 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

These are utterly dreadful mate. Owned them. Unreliable, bent, bike fell off a couple of times and the corresponding front stand is even more horrifically bad.
Teflon-Mike This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option Andy is a front wheel chock. That leaves the bike upright and stable so using a rear stand would be a simple matter.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped my VFR once trying to get it on the centre stand and rocking - it didn't have enough backward momentum to make it over the pivot hump and when it rolled off the stand again it fell away from me.

Forget putting weight on it and pulling - I weigh about 55kg, the only way I could get it on the stand with confidence was on a slight upward incline, so that gravity was lending backward momentum.

Simulating an upward incline if one isn't available would be my only tip. Abba stand or similar is fine but a faff compared with the centre stand, adds a good 10 minutes getting it out, putting it on, taking it off and putting it away if you're doing something that shouldn't take long, like greasing the chain.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR is hideously heavy to get on the stand if you haven't got the weight to pivot it. I'm a gorilla but even then some days it takes two goes, it does take your full body weight on it at just the right moment.

And picking up a dropped VFR? Yeah, only had to do that twice....adrenaline, and do it in one otherwise she's having a nice long nap.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, how freely does your centre stand move? My lard-arse of a CBF had become a pain to lever up onto the stand due to corrosion on the pivot shaft making the stand hard to move. In fact I only fixed it because the stand finally stopped retracting fully and I scared the poop out of myself dragging a half lowered stand round the first corner of the day.

It wasn’t an easy job. Detaching the springs took effort and driving the shaft out took massive amounts of brutality. However, once cleaned, sanded, greased and reassembled the difference was astonishing. The bike now pops up onto the stand with zero lifting. I just line the feet up with the ground and put a little body weight on the lever and up she goes. I’d say it’s easier than my comparatively lightweight CB500.

barrkel wrote:
I dropped my VFR once trying to get it on the centre stand...

I dropped my CB500 in similar style, but with added embarrassment. I was at a petrol station in the pouring rain and my wet boot slipped off the center stand lever as I had my full weight on it. I fell forward with the bike and rolled over the top as it went down. I’d also removed my helmet and placed it on the seat, so that went rolling across the forecourt to attract everyone’s attention. A quick adrenaline-fueled hulk lift and lid retrieval later, I carried on like nothing had happened. Luckily zero damage as well. Embarassed

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tore tendoms in my medial gastrocnemius (a muscle of the calf) about two years ago. Trying to put the k1300 on the centre stand.
Ligaments snap like a stick and it almost made me cry with the pain. I'd take a kick in the bawsack any day rather than a snapped tendon.

I have an abba stand. Seems expensive at first but they are the easiest to use.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
VFR is hideously heavy to get on the stand if you haven't got the weight to pivot it. I'm a gorilla but even then some days it takes two goes, it does take your full body weight on it at just the right moment.

And picking up a dropped VFR? Yeah, only had to do that twice....adrenaline, and do it in one otherwise she's having a nice long nap.

I find the Viffer easier to get on the centre stand than my 125. Really. Stomp on the sticky outy bit and up it goes.

That said, I am 6'3", but the 125 is definately far harder to get on the stand. You have to haul on the brab handle or sissy bar a good bit, as well as somping on the sticky outy bit.

Thankfully, I've only dropped the Viffer once. I'd already pushed her over a mile, covered in oil, and she got away from me bumping her up a kerb. Up in one, but it wasn't easy, she carries her weight high.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2