Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best helmet for MT07

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

newbiemt07rid...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Best helmet for MT07 Reply with quote

Hi All

I've just bought a MT07 and loving it, I came from a YBR 125 so a big difference.

I have a HJC helmet, think its the IS-17, was good when on my 125cc but now, I'm using it on MT07 and everytime I turn my head slightly it feels like the wind is going to take my head off my shoulders.

What helmets do most people use on a naked bike. Does anyone recommend a helmet, I was looking at the HJC R-PHA 70, or Schuberth R2, I was told these are quiet and good aerodynamics.

Thanks
Fred

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep what you've got. It will develop your neck muscles.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:15 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What helmets do most people use on a naked bike.

One that fits them well. What bike you're riding makes no difference to the fit of your helmet. Laughing

Go to a shop, somewhere big like J&S, and try on lots of different helmets. Then you'll know which one fits you the best.

It sounds very much like the IS-17 doesn't fit you.

If a cheapo lids from Aldi fit you better than the latest and greatest £1,000 race rep AGV helmet then the cheapo Aldi lid will protect you better than the expensive AGV will.

Fit is everything.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, nothing is more important than fit.

If you're new to it I'd say it's worth going to a reputable place with a staff member who knows what they're doing to help you find one that fits. Keep it on for about 20 mins, that should be long enough to see if it'll cause any headaches. It should be snug without causing pressure problems.

Price is largely irrelevant too IMO. I have a £135 Nolan N87 that I like and a £500 Shoei Neotec 2 (that I got at no cost to myself) and to be honest I can't really say the Neotec is any better in use that the Nolan, aside from the convenience of the flip front. The Neotec materials and mechanical parts do feel a bit higher quality but it's no more comfortable, the noise level is the same and there's no difference in weather protection. The Neotec is a good helmet but if I had to buy another helmet id struggle to justify the extra cost of the Shoei over the Nolan.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:30 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sales staff have already sold him a lid that doesn't fit properly. Razz

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many shell sizes do they use? I had a similar experience with my Nitro, it was fine on my 125, but the first motorway experience and it felt like my head was going to be ripped off.

I bought a better lid from a manufacturer that doesn't use one shell size Rolling Eyes

newbiemt07rid...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmet fit is fine, I got it from J&S, I've had it 3 years there is nothing wrong with the fit.

Does anyone know a good helmet for a naked bike as there is a difference when riding a naked bike compared to a sports bike.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbiemt07rider wrote:
The helmet fit is fine, I got it from J&S, I've had it 3 years there is nothing wrong with the fit.

Does anyone know a good helmet for a naked bike as there is a difference when riding a naked bike compared to a sports bike.

Something without a peak. That's about it, the rest is down to personal preference, budget, and the fit on your noggin. There is no specific type of lid for nakeds, sports, cruisers etc. I wear a peaked lid for most things other than motorway miles, irrespective of the bike I'm on. I prefer it, but it'll make your neck look like a roided up gym bunny's does if you do serious miles with it, no matter if on a faired bike or naked.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 11 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you believe the blurb then some lids are specifically designed for use riding unfaired bikes. Although I had a faired
bike back when I bought mine. Laughing

Mines the same design and colour as this.

Quote:
Product description
Designed for the open road, in particular for naked bikes, the Speed-R Sauer II motorcycle helmet weighs just 1450 grams, making it lighter than its predecessor. It was wind tunnel tested to guarantee optimal aerodynamics and ventilation. The Speed-R is equipped with a DD-ring fastening system and an internal sun visor. Pinlock MaxVision insert is supplied with the helmet, ready to be installed on the visor.

What they fail to mention is the visor catch is a complete belljockey and can only be accessed using the left hand.
And that's only if you have unpadded kangaroo skin gloves on. If you're wearing anything thicker, forget it. Folded arms

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:26 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the IS-17: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1429

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schuberth S2 and for me, on my naked bike, it doesn't cause any head ripping issues. It is supposed to be a quiet helmet, but I don't think it's as quiet as the Shoei I had before. I got mine in a sale from Helmet City for £250 (two fiddy).

I had a much older Nolan flip front that did feel like it "caught" the air more when you turned your head, so er, don't buy a 15 year old Nolan flip front.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only get people suggesting what works for them, but everyone's head (and pocket depth) will vary.
You need try a few on, in the mid-range price bracket around £150 is a good start point.
A decent helmet should last you at least 5 years so don't penny pinch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed r that grrr666 has in the video, has been superceded by the Spartan iirc. I have a speed r and whilst fiddly to open, I haven't needed to for the past few weeks when riding to and from work, thanks to the pinlock. If the spartan has a better visor lug, then I would go with it over most others.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Spartan carbon too, definitely not the same. Also an HJC RPHA 10. The renewed Speed-R is imaginatively called
the "Speed-R 2 " Laughing Best visor catch of my three lids is on the HJC. It's central and snaps shut well and it can be operated
with either hand regardless of how thick your gloves are. It's a nice lid for aerodynamics too, shoulder checks especially.
Worst thing about it is the strap pads can come adrift but it's a minor issue. I'm having an RPHA 11 next.

The Spartan actually shares it's design DNA with the Skwal series illuminated lids.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

A decent helmet should last you at least 5 years so don't penny pinch.
I spent £25 on my helmet, fits a treat, it's on it's 3rd year now (used about 360 days a year) and shows no signs of needing replacing. You don't have to spend £150 on a lid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I spent £25 on my helmet, fits a treat, it's on it's 3rd year now (used about 360 days a year) and shows no signs of needing replacing. You don't have to spend £150 on a lid

Eew. Was that new? What model?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "SHARP" the cheapest/dearest full-face helmets/star ratings are currently:

3* Shox Sniper £29.99/Schuberth SR2 £549.00
4* Agrius Rage SV £29.99/Arai RX-7 GP £589.00
5* Duchinni D832 £59.99/AGV PISTA GP R £999.99

Note: there are I'm sure other "measures of satisfaction" than the SHARP tests ( https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/sharp-testing/ ). This is also interesting: https://blm.io/blog/motorcycle-helmet-safety-price/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHARP ratings are overrated.

A page from whyarai.co.uk about Arai helmets and SHARP tests:

"Thank you for contacting us and giving Phoenix Distribution (NW) Ltd a chance to give a response instead of just taking on board what you have read about the Sharp test results. It offers us the opportunity to explain why you have made, or will make, the right decision choosing Arai.

During the Sharp tests, all helmets are tested on five precisely described and positioned impact points. Every Arai helmet tested, scored exceptionally well on three of these points. Only the test results on the fourth and fifth, so-called “X-point” were less satisfactory. The position of this X-point is marked on the drawing.

We have however severe doubts about the location of this particular X-point. Doubts that are shared not only by other renowned helmet manufacturers, but by many leading expert journalists as well, as you can read in several motorcycle magazines and on internet forums.

This is because through many years of R&D;, intense study of motorcycle accidents and immense racing experience, Arai are of the opinion that indicated X-points are less likely to suffer severe impacts. This point is well protected by the riders shoulder. In case of an accident, the shoulder would hit an object (ground) and therefore X-point is less likely to make contact.

To create sufficient room for the ears, Arai produces therefore a very strong outer shell, with a thinner piece of polystyrene inner shell around the ears. This construction allows the helmet to exceed all worldwide standard demands at X-point. But more importantly, it allows Arai to produce a very comfortable helmet around the ear with two important advantages:
- more comfort, the rider can concentrate on riding
- less restrictions of (traffic) sounds

Arai has deliberately chosen for these properties, without making any concessions to safety.

Please do also keep in mind that the final Sharp testing standards are still under development and in its current procedure pre-mature. The Department of Transport already announced that further testing procedures are under development.

Could Arai produce a helmet that excels in this particular testing point? Yes, absolutely. But then Arai has to make concessions that are not acceptable to Arai’s proven safety and comfort philosophy.

We are convinced that the test area as defined by Snell offers a more correct reflection under actual impact circumstances. This shows that total helmet construction philosophy and technology is more important than specific point testing.

Arai do have more objections against the test methods and impact points used, as they have the opinion that they don’t reflect real-world accidents or impacts. These are fairly technical matters and have been taken up directly with the Department of Transport."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120819035750/https://www.whyarai.co.uk/sharp.php

That page is 10 years old but I assume Arai and SHARP still aren't on speaking terms with each other. Laughing

There's also this page: https://www.motolegends.com/why-we-do-not-rate-the-sharp-helmet-test

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:32 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Best helmet for MT07 Reply with quote

newbiemt07rider wrote:
I've just bought a MT07 and loving it, I came from a YBR 125 so a big difference.

Difference in what?

The roads are the same, the idiots on them, the same, and so are the speed-limit signs... so what 'really' has changed?

I ride a naked Honda CB Seven-Fifty.... there are two hats in the shelf, one is a rather expensive Shark Evo 'flip', which I rather like, 'cos you can wear it as either an open face or a full-face and flip twixt the two on the move; Other is a very cheap, like £30 cheap open face 'Arashi'.. there are a few more, mostly retired now, including a top of the line Shoei, and an AGV 'something' and a few other nameless open-face....

Up to the National-Speed limit..... Pretty much makes little or no odds... though the 'Peaked' Arashi Steve-Mcqueen style open, may tend to try and lift a bit if as you approach that limit..... and without any eye-protection, bar a pair of spex.... wind does tend to start making eyes water....

But.... all hats are EE or BS or ACU marked.... sod the Sharp ratings really.... IF I come off I am not really all that concerned by them or convinced that the difference between something with one star as opposed to five will make the difference from me getting up and walking away, from the crash, instead of spending unpety months in hospital... probably with my legs in traction, and a completely unscratched crash-hat sat on top of the locker!

So I wear what's appropriate, what's comfortable, and probably most influential... what's convenient! .. .. ... Eg, I want to get to B&Q before it closes, and reach up for the Evo, which is the first hat to hand, and find it's visor needs cleaning... rather than wast time trying to clean it, I'll grab the open... and NOT go so fast on the by-pass, when my eyes start watering.....

Do you sort of get the idea here?

No Crash... no need crash-hat! And it's one of the beauties of naked bikes, that they don't have wind deflecting fairings making a bubble of still air for you to sit in, cosseted from reality like being in a car.... sticking your head into a tiny plastic fish-bowl, is then more 'sort' of clambering into a box, like a car, cutting yourself off from whats around you... but more... and even smaller, more claustrophobic box.... that mists up!!!

So! Go-Naked, Go-Open... take away that box and FEEL whats going on around you.... and when the wind makes your eyes water, or the hat starts to try riding over your head and wind blast is bashing your breast and making you grip the bars like a gorilla........ well.... its a bit of a clue MAYBE you should back off a bit..... and rather than NOT being able to see or even concentrate to see... be able to LOOK! Hay what a pretty old cottage! Or "Oooh.. now that's a nice pair...." or whatever... and see stuff, locked in a hermetic box, whether on your head or around your chair, you probably wouldn't.....

A-N-D likely as anything, that 'thing' you see cos you have slowed down and started paying attention to whats going on around you, is as likely to be the bludy SMIDSY sat in a side-turn, you would have crashed into... and more, going slower, you not only stand more chance of seeing SMIDSY, you'll see him sooner, and going slower have more time to do 'something' about him... and NOT CRASH....

Like I say, no crash, no need crash hat!!!

So... back to top, and WHY do you even think, that you have to have a 'better' crash hat, just cos you have started riding a bigger bike?

You are riding the same roads, with the same hazards on them, the same idiots on them, and the same speed-limits, and they are just as hard to hit, whatever bike you happen to be riding..... so WHY do you think you need a better hat, just cos you have bought a bigger bike?

Does sound like your old hat is probably not the best fit, and more than likely the lining has relaxed more than a little with use, so its even looser now than it was when you got it... b-u-t.... think a little about what the crash-hat is for... and why you 'think' what you have is less than ideal, and if you are going to buy 'better'... make sure that that 'better' is actually doing something 'better' and that that 'something' is actually something 'useful' to you....

If sold for motorcycle use... it should, by law, be fit for purpose and at least EE marked, if not BS marked, if not ACU marked for impact absorption.... which... can be pretty irrelevant, IF you ride NOT to crash, and make use of that impact absorption!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

There's also this page: https://www.motolegends.com/why-we-do-not-rate-the-sharp-helmet-test

I'm interested to see that a helmet manufacturer and a helmet seller both cast doubt on SHARP's test. I wonder whether anyone's recently asked SHARP about that recently. Its library does contain indications that remarks from Arai, etc., have been considered in the past:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/wp-content/themes/sharp2017/pdfs/SHARP-a-study-of-its-effect-on-the-UK-motorcycle-helmet-market.pdf

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/frequently-asked-questions/

There's a lot of other informatoin from the TRL, which is an authority:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/wp-content/themes/sharp2017/pdfs/Technical-response-to-the-unpublished-paper-by-NJ-Mills.pdf

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/wp-content/themes/sharp2017/pdfs/SHARP-laboratory-test-procedures.pdf

I don't think I could simply agree (or otherwise) that "SHARP ratings are overrated" without a quite a lot of study.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

"Thank you for contacting us and giving Phoenix Distribution (NW) Ltd a chance to give a response instead of just taking on board what you have read about the Sharp test results. It offers us the opportunity to explain why you have made, or will make, the right decision choosing Arai.

During the Sharp tests, all helmets are tested on five precisely described and positioned impact points. Every Arai helmet tested, scored exceptionally well on three of these points. Only the test results on the fourth and fifth, so-called “X-point” were less satisfactory. The position of this X-point is marked on the drawing.

We have however severe doubts about the location of this particular X-point. Doubts that are shared not only by other renowned helmet manufacturers, but by many leading expert journalists as well, as you can read in several motorcycle magazines and on internet forums.

This is because through many years of R&D;, intense study of motorcycle accidents and immense racing experience, Arai are of the opinion that indicated X-points are less likely to suffer severe impacts. This point is well protected by the riders shoulder. In case of an accident, the shoulder would hit an object (ground) and therefore X-point is less likely to make contact.

To create sufficient room for the ears, Arai produces therefore a very strong outer shell, with a thinner piece of polystyrene inner shell around the ears. This construction allows the helmet to exceed all worldwide standard demands at X-point. But more importantly, it allows Arai to produce a very comfortable helmet around the ear with two important advantages:
- more comfort, the rider can concentrate on riding
- less restrictions of (traffic) sounds

Arai has deliberately chosen for these properties, without making any concessions to safety.

Please do also keep in mind that the final Sharp testing standards are still under development and in its current procedure pre-mature. The Department of Transport already announced that further testing procedures are under development.

Could Arai produce a helmet that excels in this particular testing point? Yes, absolutely. But then Arai has to make concessions that are not acceptable to Arai’s proven safety and comfort philosophy.

We are convinced that the test area as defined by Snell offers a more correct reflection under actual impact circumstances. This shows that total helmet construction philosophy and technology is more important than specific point testing.

Arai do have more objections against the test methods and impact points used, as they have the opinion that they don’t reflect real-world accidents or impacts. These are fairly technical matters and have been taken up directly with the Department of Transport."

That page is 10 years old but I assume Arai and SHARP still aren't on speaking terms with each other. Laughing

What if you hit a car or another object?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:44 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just thinking that ^^.
I've known several riders hit things at that contact point.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all subjective, I slid down the road in a full face helmet and looked at the tarmac. Would a flip front have come loose... tests say not. My right eye looking at the floor says 'I'm not sure.' I like the comfort a few quid more gives me...and the ability to wash the interior. Oh, and the lightness.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy an Airi Quantum ST Pro. The fancy friigin visor with the pulldown shade doesn't work and gets ripped off in the wind.

Seriously for a helmet costing over 500 quid I was and am pissed off, anyway.

I would imagine that any streamlined helmet will be fine, you shouldn't be looking sideways very much anyway Smile Put your helmet on at 90deg if it's that bad buy a cruiser then you'll never be going quick enough for the wind to affect you.

Good luck on helmet hunting.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arai quantum st pro works well for me...day in day out. And, didn't cost 500 ponds.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2