Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MCN Motorcycle Show

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: MCN Motorcycle Show Reply with quote

I have never been before and the show boasts "tons of kit bargains". Can anyone who has frequented these events advise if these bargains are indeed worth waiting for.

https://www.mcnmotorcycleshow.com/

Looking forward to going to this on Friday.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been there. I suspect it's all hype and bullshit to lure ticket sales to cover their overheads (it's 2 days' from now for a big 3-day expo, and they're still selling exhibitor space even now) or they would be more specific about who and what (re: the kit bargains). Those bargains, if any, are kind of important because if they're any good they could get people in the door (everyone would have to compare the additional ticket price and petrol costs for those bargains with the best deal you could get for the same gear on the internet). Also they could be seriously out of touch and living in the past with regard to their knowledge of the market (I checked the advert and it says you get to hear talks by McGuinness, and see the Wall of Death, and listen to people yap on about adventure touring). But I could be wrong. Let us know how it went and what you saw when you get back.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:47 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't count on the deals being amazing but it's a good place to try on lots of different kit.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:48 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a decent ish price on a Dainese jacket which was eventually matched online, best deals I saw last year was 1L ACF50 for about ~£21 and the new Oxford heated grips with the waterproof connectors going for £50 compared to the £60 odd I found them online after lots of googling.

So..... Sort of I guess but don't count on it. I wouldn't go there for deals TBH Shoei helmets were basically the same price and so were Kriega even asking for show discount they wouldn't budge.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped going to these a few years ago. Mot of my mates on bikes did the same.

If you've never been before, go for it. If you've been before, or to the NEC show, it's exactly the same. Though it is nice to see so many manufacturers there, there was a time when even some of the major brands were absent.

Can also be handy if you're interested in an up close look at a new bike, without a sales rep pestering you. Main manufacturer stands aren't there for the sales and should have someone with more knowledge.

There will of course be loads of podgy blokes there in their 'Suzuki Racing' leather jackets, which were very clearly NEVER intended for riding (they took the train/drove), harping on that they had to sell their 'busa because their riding skills were beyond its limits. So expect to get pissed off at every turn. The Friday might be better.

As for bargains, these shows are ideal for shifting 2018/17 stock these traders didn't get on SoR. If you don't mind not having the latest designs, could bag something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: MCN Motorcycle Show Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
I have never been before and the show boasts "tons of kit bargains". Can anyone who has frequented these events advise if these bargains are indeed worth waiting for.

https://www.mcnmotorcycleshow.com/

Looking forward to going to this on Friday.

So how was it? Brief review will do Smile

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:36 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the Friday. It was surprisingly shit.

I've been to a few trade shows at the Excel, never been to one that small. The good part of it was a stall selling lots of helmets, so I could finally find (and buy) and open face lid that fits.

The rest of it was disappointing. A track in the middle of the floor, but to see anything you had to be in the front row. People were standing 5 deep, and the only elevated seated was for people who had paid more for a special ticket.

Lots of manufacturer stalls where you can look at bikes, but it was rammed with people, so getting close to a bike for a look was a slog. You'd be better off going to a dealer.

Harley and Moto Guzzi weren't there, and I wanted to see their bikes. Some other manufacturers in the same sort of bracket probably also weren't there.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on Sunday, the highlight for me was the Wall of Death and the Adventure Travel stage as a few people I have been following on Facebook were there.

I did go to the NEC show at the end of last year though so I had seen the majority of the bikes that were on display from the main brands.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I went on Friday on the train.
Haven’t been to an indoor bike show for 20+years. Let’s face it, there is only so much you can do with a two wheeled machine and think most of what was there has been covered.....nothing new really.
The 80/90s bikes at the far end were cool, fantastic paint jobs.
Bought some gloves.
Had a sit on a few uncomfortable seats.

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipped it for a few years. Went on the Saturday this year. Was alright. Probably won't go again for a few years.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1