Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
What's the thinking there, then?

By the Honda dealer or by the GDPR people?

Presumably Honda think, rightly or wrongly (which is my guess), that they would be in breach of the regs if they were to pass on unredacted service histories, and therefore vulnerable to massive fines; so are playing it safe. (FWIW I bought a used bike from a BMW dealership back in November, and there was none of this nonsense - in fact I think they may even have provided some fresh printouts of service invoices (as they had previously maintained the bike!)

I can't see any genuine reason why the GDPR should object to this happening (I posted this link earlier expressing legal reasons why it should be OK). But I wonder if anybody's ever actually asked the Information Commissioner about it?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds completely nuts to me.
Does this mean other vehicles will fall into this puddle of silliness?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I don't believe it's at Honda UKs request and Honda may be very interested to know exactly what
this dealership is telling their customers.

I stand corrected. SMH. I'm just about to buy a Honda CRV, most likely from the main dealer. But having read this I want
a full printed and stamped service record in my hand, that correlates with the details they have on their system.
And that'll be entirely at their inconvenience or I'll fack off and buy a Mazda CX5 instead or a Volvo XC90 or something.
Up to them if they want to play ball or not.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:47 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name and shame them.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Name and shame them.

LearnerLEGAL wrote:
Got this response from Honda
"Thank you for contacting Honda UK. I would like to confirm that indeed this is the policy

So, Honda (UK)

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:04 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

another stupid EU snowflake stupid idea.......

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs700 wrote:
another stupid EU snowflake stupid idea.......

Its made browsing the internet more annoying, I couldn't get into a US site the other day because they apparently didn't comply with GPDR Neutral

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:49 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Google searches have become less interesting because 99% of the results "might" give information to the seeker. An unwanted EU gift.

Just like the EU stupid rules that meant hot food deliveries have to charge delivery charges, because they "might" be overcharging people who collect their food.

Like mobile phones and roaming charges. That put the prices of EU mobile services up for everyone rather than the roaming user.

The EU want an EU army, haven't we been here before (Napoleon and Hitler for the snowflakes....

The eu also wants a bank transaction charge, dont worry snowflakes the MEPs will have exempted themselves from tiresome laws.....

The EEC was a good idea, a free trade area, but the 4th german reich is taking things a bit far.....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:44 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs700 wrote:
Just like the EU stupid rules that meant hot food deliveries have to charge delivery charges, because they "might" be overcharging people who collect their food.

wot?

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of GDPR is that people's personal data isn't shared without them providing their explicit consent.

Honda have (IMO wrongly) judged this to mean that because they never asked the previous owner if it was OK to hand over their personal details in the service history book, then they can't hand it over.
The actual service history record doesn't fall under this, as it's not personal data, and they've stated that they can give you this information, just not in the original form.

The problems with that are:
1. The whole point of having a service history book is for owners to prove to future owners that the services have taken place.
By writing their personal details in this book intended to be given to future owners, I'd say that's explicit consent. They didn't have to write their personal details in there.

2. If they were that worried about it, redact the personal details and leave only the service information which isn't subject to GDPR.

3. Honda have the contact details of the previous owner, so they could contact them and ask to confirm that they're happy to have the logbook passed on either with or without their details included. This should be part of their standard used bike purchasing IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that all they have to do is redact the PO's name and address.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of this is helping my opinion of dealers...

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs700 wrote:
And Google searches have become less interesting because 99% of the results "might" give information to the seeker. An unwanted EU gift.

No that's because googl is shit.

The GDPR is a start against these companies that have had free reign to steal whatever they could. They're lucky they haven't been turned out and had to pay back all the profits from these ventures.

2Hondas wrote:
future owners, I'd say that's explicit consent. They didn't have to write their personal details in there.

Unless they were pushed into it or were ignorantly led to do so.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:35 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My missus works in a mortuary, monthly she runs a death cafe. (it's where people can talk about death and dying the practicalities of it etc.) She is regularly asked by attendees if she can email them the dates of the next ones, however she is told by the 'death cafe' management, she is not allow to take email address incase she falls foul of GDPR.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2