Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sprocket carrier bearing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Sprocket carrier bearing Reply with quote

When I last had the wheel off it was a bit notchy, so I was going to order one and do it soon. Both wheel bearings appear fine,, smooth, as is the dust seal.

Ill be limited in time so is there any advantage doing all together ? Or just the SC?

Last time I did the front with an All Balls kit, the dust seal was too small, so I was going to avoid and buy just bearing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to you.

I doubt the wheel bearings are likely to be very expensive and the jobs half done with the wheel out, tools are out too...

And yes, I'd just buy the bearing from a bearing factors. Add "2RS" to the bearing number to get a sealed one, then the oil seal is effectively redundant other than as a means to hold the spacers in place during assembly. Lever it off with an old screwdriver then bend it roughly back into shape before refitting again.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 20:47 - 13 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you find just the carrier bearing kaput and the wheel bearings remain fine.
If you are clever you can gently prize out the dust seal in the bearings to inspect or re pack with new grease.
Use a blunt Stanley blade and insert an edge under the outer radius lip of the seal and gently eek it out.
Replace it back is a gentle press in with thumb.
If the grease looks black and “dry” replace the bearings. The more powerful the bike the more stress the bearings under go.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend ' simplybearings.co.uk' top quality and cheap . Don't muck about with worn bearings, it's just not worth it. When the old bearing packs up 100 miles away from home, and the chain all tangled up and wrecked, you will wonder why you skimped on about £5.00. You can get the bearing sizes from looking up your bike on CSMNL.com

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a full set of good quality (not ebay or other internet shysters' shit) wheel and sprocket carrier bearings can be had from local bearing suppliers for around a tenner, why would anyone fuckabout trying to save pennies?
False economies make no sense at all.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: bearings Reply with quote

also check the cmsnl exploded views for an snags or circlips etc.....check.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a good look and it seems this is one of honda's non-standard bearing sizes. Cheapest AllBalls kit is 35 quid. DavidSilver is 25 delivered.

Wish I pulled the seal and inspected it fully, may have just needed fresh grease.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/hpart_91051MCF003/

Im assuming this is probably wrong part for a different year, will message seller..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sprocket-Carrier-Bearing-KOYO-Honda-CBR-600-F-2002/173000531653

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p150001/27BG05S22NS-Major-Branded-Contact-Rubber-Sealed-Double-Row-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearing-27x52x23.8mm/product_info.html

91051-MCF-003

27x52x23.8

Highly tempted to order the nearest size up and bore out the spacer on lathe.

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wemoto as well
https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cbr_600_f2/02

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just change all the bearings on the rear wheel while you're at it, especially if it's your relatively high milage CBR and you don't recall fitting bearings in a long time.

They're pretty cheap items.

That said if you have a big list of items to replace on the bike, then I could understand just replacing what is really needed as that adds up.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True they are normally cheap except when honda use a non standard size which is 25 quid each. However you are right, Ive never done the rear or swingarm but I have done the front wheel twice and steering once, in 107k.

If there are no major failures, the chain set is the only part due soon and I should get another 20k from her for minimal cost. Ill buy the proper set

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a lathe. Buy a standard bearing and make an adapter sleeve.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1