BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Versys 1000

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Versys 1000 Reply with quote

still looking for my commuter, ruled out MT09 as insurance is stupid, tracer 900 is an option as for some reason much cheaper however it feels very cheaply put together, got a test ride on a Versys 1000 this weekend as tbh they look very nice and I prefer the twin-light look on the front end rather than the cyclops, riding position looks nice like the NC750 but has a good amount of power plus 4cyl, anything I should look out for?

Versys 1000 owners - how you get on with them? Pros/Cons?

The KLZ1000 model looks very nice! plus can put a top box on it without making the bike look stupid

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only input I can add is that in my experience Kawasaki (modern) build quality is sub par. Z1000SX just did not stand up to British winter at all, rust all over the place while the Honda just laughs its way through the salt.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:46 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wish there was a Honda version of this style of bike, the closest is the africa twin (too pricey) or the NC750 (too boring and slow).

I suppose I could go in between and get a VFR800 but unsure if it would be much better on the back and wrists than the CBR600 I am currently on

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the upright style then there is always the Crossrunner. A VFR 800 in an upright chassis. They're not as popular (In fact I've only ever seen one in the flesh) and frankly there are 'better' options but you do get the 'flagship' build quality and of course the awesome V4 soundtrack.

https://i.imgur.com/DKehtKC.jpg

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Versys 1000 Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
still looking for my commuter, ruled out MT09 as insurance is stupid, tracer 900 is an option as for some reason much cheaper however it feels very cheaply put together, got a test ride on a Versys 1000 this weekend as tbh they look very nice and I prefer the twin-light look on the front end rather than the cyclops, riding position looks nice like the NC750 but has a good amount of power plus 4cyl, anything I should look out for?

Versys 1000 owners - how you get on with them? Pros/Cons?

The KLZ1000 model looks very nice! plus can put a top box on it without making the bike look stupid
My 2015 Versys is now showing just shy of 80,000 miles. As stated above there is rust on the frame and some of the fasteners. The engine casings seems to be impervious to salt though which is more than my three Africa Twins casings and wheels were (I don't wash bikes much).

So far the bike uses no oil at all between 8,000 mile changes, I get about 10,000 plus miles from a set of Avon Storm 3D tyres and about 30,000 miles to a chain and sprocket set. I seem to average 54mpg in the winter and about 58mpg in the warm weather. This is at motorway speeds plus east London filtering.

Things I like:-

The engine is a beaut, both on the motorway and in town. I always switch to low power in town as it is smoother at lower speeds than full power.

The stability at motorway speeds when loaded with luggage.

Things I don't like are:-

The upside down forks, well just the seals really. I go through a lot of them. Hard to get a bike without them really nowadays.

The stupid twin headlights with only one lit on low beam.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

don't mind the look of the crossrunner tbh, why don't they sell much are they deemed as too ugly?

how cramped is the VFR800 compared to the CBR600? is it a bit more upright? - I heard there are OEM kits for the VFR800 for bar risers etc?

think I might have a test ride on all three and see what I think.

My CBR600 doesn't get washed at all (besides the chain sometimes) and can't find any rust, perhaps there is under all the junk but I like to think the junk protects it from the salt and wet.

@yen how is the versys for tight london filtering? its a breeze on the CBR but imagine the versys is a bit wider on the handle bars and mirrors.

I am unsure why they do that on bikes with the twin headlights and only one lights up, would look much nicer if both lit up, I would guess you could do an easy modification so they both light up if you wanted?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossrunner just isn't known very well. Its first iteration was less than well received but the latest model is quite improved.

The VFR isn't cramped at all, it's a big sports tourer so it's made to sit on all day long. You can get bar risers (Helibars) but they are quite pricey. I do tend to be of the opinion if you need bar risers then you're sat on the wrong bike though, they do change the handling characteristics.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

@yen how is the versys for tight london filtering? its a breeze on the CBR but imagine the versys is a bit wider on the handle bars and mirrors.

I am unsure why they do that on bikes with the twin headlights and only one lights up, would look much nicer if both lit up, I would guess you could do an easy modification so they both light up if you wanted?
The bit of the bike that interfered with small gaps in queuing traffic was the Kawasaki mirrors which were a bit pointy on the end. I fitted the 20 year old round mirrors off my old Africa Twin and all was well. You can see the round mirrors in the bottom picture compared to the Kawasaki ones in the top two.

There is an aftermarket cure for the headlights but I haven't bothered. Some sort of kit that puts the high beam bulb on but dims it until you flick the switch and it goes to full brightness. I fitted spot lights which seem to do the trick with regard to lighting up the darkness and getting me noticed.
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/Versys%20good%20pic.jpg
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/P1170122crsm.jpg
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/P1200451sm.jpg

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the first gen Crossrunners. A vastly under rated bike IMO. I bought it as a stop gap before I had the cash saved for a Tracer but I find it works so well that I've decided to keep it. Handles well, flexible engine, comfortable and great with a pillion. It's very competent but admittedly it's not quite as exciting as the likes of the Tracer.

I think the main problem with the original ones is that they were a bit weird looking, the enclosed body work looks a bit scooterish. The other problem with them was that they retained the original VFR peg position, but with the upright bars which made the riding position odd for some who wanted more adventure bike ergos. Personally that works for me, but the later model has a much more relaxed leg position that suits the bike well. Mine came to me with 1" lowering blocks but I took them off as I kept grounding the pegs.

Build quality is top notch. Mine has only had 1 coat of ACF and 2 washes this winter when it was really bogging (salt half a cm thick caked all over it) and is showing very few signs of rust. Not bad considering its 7 years old now.

Can't comment on the big Versys but I'd definitely like a go.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:59 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

going to be test riding this week so will post up what I think, also going to try the tiger 800 XRX as looks pretty nice, unsure if I will like triple over 4 I am used to

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:48 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/yen_powell/P1200451sm.jpg[/URL]

not gonna lie - probably would've slung it in the boot

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloke in work has a '13 plate Crossrunner. Goes well enough, looks are subjective. Doesn't sound as nice as the 750's, but I'm biased and not much does, but it's still a V4, so sounds better than most things out there.

Even with his neglect of the poor thing, it's surviving well.Build quality is good. The only thing really that's gone is the exhaust heat shield. Ditch the giant OEM can if it's still wearing one.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Versys thou was going to be my next bike. When I rode one, it had the best mirrors I've ever used. Just couldn't get rid of my off road itch and got a tiger 800. Crossrunner with that tamed vfr engine was proper honda bland. Just felt a bit 'meh'. Vstrom... no, just not as good as versys. If i were to change now, versys would be my first stop. (Africa twin a bag of nearly). Oh, new mt07 tenere would be on shortlist if cheap enough.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m getting a vstrom 1000 on Tuesday cracking bike well worth checking out
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1