Is daylight MOT real or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I want to hear the latest details of how the OP is getting on with their bike and licence.

Me too Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to encourage Tef, show my love for a 2wheel car, or have a Fit of Autism, but as much as I like old two strokes, like fuck would I buy a £500 one and want to use it daily.

Especially something faired/hard to work on, and with plenty of electrics (powervalve) and the complexity of water cooling. Two strokes are for fun and projects, not a serious 2019 daily transport solution.

The ER5 might be comparatively dull, but it's not that slow. (I need the BCF authority spelt out to me why In-line twins are all so shit as I don't get it?) the ER5 is after all a sawed in half GPZ1000RX engine with a bit of de-tuned. Nobody says GPZ1000 engines are a load of shit though?

I get that an ER5 looks dull, and has crap budget suspension and brakes, and has had 10bhp lopped off the top end of the donor engine. But I see a basis for a project and a moderate amount of fun with cheap mods and aesthetic improvements.
Wide MX bars, a 4pot front caliper, decent tyres and shocks, and a fork re-work and maybe a brace would be good changes. As would a gas flowed GPZ head and cams, some second hand flat slides and a loud 2-1 race pipe.

Maybe some Lawson paintwork and a better seat would be good too. I'd ride the bike I describe above as my daily commuter and I reckon I'd have enough fun on it to make it worthwhile.

Sure a good/re-built NSR for a weekend twatting about small bike would be more of a laugh, but then a competition derived supermoto bike would be even more fun in the same situation.

OP needs to fucking wake up and pass some tests and learn how to ride confidently and they she can buy as many fun bikes or dull commuters as she wants.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:33 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo, have you ridden an ER5? I found mine utterly dull, unhelpfully heavy and man does it sound like aids.

People like them, fair to them, but I'd rather have a 125 than an ER5, a GS500, ha, might as well kill me now as I'll never consider riding another one, I'd probably report ads on eBay selling them as listed in the wrong section, but there is no scrap section on eBay.

In all, they are pony. They serve a purpose (I don't know what) but I'd never want another parallel twin 500cc in size. Never.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paddy.

Yeah I passed my test 21-22years ago on one, so not the best basis for an opinion fair enough.

But I've done 2000miles or more on a CB500 and liked it, and I've ridden a GPZ500 (not quite as good as std for me, and a bit cramped and low on ground clearance). I've also ridden an SV650 very briefly and ridden an ER6 twice.

People still say ER6's, and TDM's, etc are totally horse wank and I don't get why they are worse than a single cylinder bike or 10x more crap than an IL4?

Just a quick question, would you rather ride a dull IL4 like an XJ600 Divvy, or a single like an SRX600 instead of a 500 twin?

As a daily rider/commuter I'd prefer a CB500 to either of the above, but do get why others might say otherwise. I just think you can as easily have a good or bad in-line twin as your can a four cylinder bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:27 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather ride an SV650/SRX/Big single than a 500 twin.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:05 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, an ER5 is basically the same concept as an original 60s Triumph Bonneville, except with 80s knowhow and water cooling, and Japanese reliability.

That said, I wouldn't want one. Although I'd take a GS500 to chop about and modify (heavily) any day of the week.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:15 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modify with copious amounts of fire?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Nah, modify to something that looks cool, and with a different tank, and the electrics and battery tidied away so the plastics can be binned. I won't say 'cafe racer' but maybe something the Yanks would call a 'scrambler'. Shortened rear end, stubby pipe, hopped up rear shock reducing trail, semi-off-road tyres, Ebay-special headlight with matt black gauze, drag bars, etc.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:08 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Ste wrote:

Nah, modify to something that looks cool, and with a different tank, and the electrics and battery tidied away so the plastics can be binned. I won't say 'cafe racer' but maybe something the Yanks would call a 'scrambler'. Shortened rear end, stubby pipe, hopped up rear shock reducing trail, semi-off-road tyres, Ebay-special headlight with matt black gauze, drag bars, etc.

So like a Goose, but way worse in every way and no good off road? Shocked

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blandest car is still more fun than an ER5 or GS500 (or an SV650) and Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
The blandest car is still more fun than an ER5 or GS500 (or an SV650) and Anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I assume you've never driven a Hyundai Accent or a Daewoo Matiz? That's pretty moot, because ANY bike is more fun than even a Corsa or something.

A Tomos Moped is more fun than a Vauxhall Corsa.
Have you actually ridden an SV650 Blue?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I assume you've never driven a Hyundai Accent or a Daewoo Matiz? That's pretty moot, because ANY bike is more fun than even a Corsa or something.

My daily winter transport is a 1.25 Fiesta. It’s shit. But it’s still better than the bikes mentioned because it’s slow and dull, yet practical. An ER5 would bore me to suicide but I’d still be bastard freezing and couldn’t carry all my racebike spares around in the boot.

I test rode an SV back in 2002 as the size and spec made them seem a good idea. Didn’t wheelie, didn’t rev, didn’t damp very well. Pants.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:41 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
MarJay wrote:

My daily winter transport is a 1.25 Fiesta. It’s shit. But it’s still better than the bikes mentioned because it’s slow and dull, yet practical. An ER5 would bore me to suicide but I’d still be bastard freezing and couldn’t carry all my racebike spares around in the boot.

I test rode an SV back in 2002 as the size and spec made them seem a good idea. Didn’t wheelie, didn’t rev, didn’t damp very well. Pants.

Fiestas seem to somehow be a little bit fun despite their size and raison d'etre, but if you've ever driven a Corsa, (or in fact any Vauxhall) or a Matiz (or any small South east asian hatch) you'd probably want to scoop out your own eyeballs rather than repeat the experience.

Also your original post was talking about fun, not practicality. Of course a car is more practical.

I wheelied my SV a few times, all accidentally of course, and yes the front suspension should be thrown in a skip, but it doesn't take much to make it a decent bike. I quite liked the engine.

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to derail and go back to the op original question, and it's pretty much been answered enough times, but figured my 2 cents might be worth 0.7 cents to the original question.

I made a new headlight for my DRZ (E model), which I have no idea if it would pass the MOT. I also made a brake light for safety only activated by the front lever. Being the E model, it doesn't have anything else on it. When the MOT comes round I just take everything off, including switches, so it's just a bunch of wire hanging out, then get it MOTed. What I get is a "not for use during nighttime or times of reduced visibility" advisory, and that's it. I then stick all the lights back on and go back to green laning.

It hardly sees any road use anyway, and no nighttime use, but the brake light is for my safety when I brake and disappear into some side lane no road user knew was there, and the headlight is because the standard one is basically an asphyxiated candle. I don't know if the cops would be upset with me if they were to pull me over and find out my bike, MOTed as not suitable for nighttime use, now has a headlight brighter than Hiroshima in 1945 (considerately dipped), but I suspect they wouldn't be too bothered.

Basically daytime MOT is a thing. Thumbs Up

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:00 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout wrote:
Sorry to derail and go back to the op original question, and it's pretty much been answered enough times, but figured my 2 cents might be worth 0.7 cents to the original question.

I made a new headlight for my DRZ (E model), which I have no idea if it would pass the MOT. I also made a brake light for safety only activated by the front lever. Being the E model, it doesn't have anything else on it. When the MOT comes round I just take everything off, including switches, so it's just a bunch of wire hanging out, then get it MOTed. What I get is a "not for use during nighttime or times of reduced visibility" advisory, and that's it. I then stick all the lights back on and go back to green laning.

It hardly sees any road use anyway, and no nighttime use, but the brake light is for my safety when I brake and disappear into some side lane no road user knew was there, and the headlight is because the standard one is basically an asphyxiated candle. I don't know if the cops would be upset with me if they were to pull me over and find out my bike, MOTed as not suitable for nighttime use, now has a headlight brighter than Hiroshima in 1945 (considerately dipped), but I suspect they wouldn't be too bothered.

It's not a "Daytime mot", it's just an mot, if that phrase "not for use during nighttime or times of reduced visibility" appears on your certificate it's because the tester wrote it manually It's not an official thing.

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it’s semantics. I’m one of those people that interpret the phrase “daytime MOT” to mean MOT specifying only for daytime use. Other people don’t like to make that interpretation of the phrase. That’s fine with me too. Thumbs Up

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:48 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout wrote:
I guess it’s semantics. I’m one of those people that interpret the phrase “daytime MOT” to mean MOT specifying only for daytime use.

That's what I'm saying, it doesn't. and if it does it's just something the tester wrote himself. an mot tester can't tell you circumstances in which an mot is valid, it either meets the minimum standard or it doesn't.

The most it should have is an advisory that no lights were fitted at the time of the test. if you then ride your bike after dark you would not be held up for not having a valid MOT because you still would, it's not an MOT for daytime use it's just an mot.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd rather ride an SV650/SRX/Big single than a 500 twin.

This man talks sense. Yeah, a parallel twin 500 will get you there, but it's dull, uninteresting. Why have mashed potato's when you can have Roasters? It's a bit more work, but ultimately, far more satisfying.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:07 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout wrote:

A day time only MOT is just like any other MOT apart from it says "no lights fitted at time of test" as an advisory.

You could still be done for The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 offences.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:26 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/lqoUSpN.jpg

Fallout
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Fallout wrote:
I guess it’s semantics. I’m one of those people that interpret the phrase “daytime MOT” to mean MOT specifying only for daytime use.

That's what I'm saying, it doesn't. and if it does it's just something the tester wrote himself. an mot tester can't tell you circumstances in which an mot is valid, it either meets the minimum standard or it doesn't.

The most it should have is an advisory that no lights were fitted at the time of the test. if you then ride your bike after dark you would not be held up for not having a valid MOT because you still would, it's not an MOT for daytime use it's just an mot.

I get what you're saying, and do indeed agree. I don't believe a "daytime MOT" has any power to define when I use the bike, and I get that the advisory note is just that - advice that without lights it shouldn't be ridden in poor visibility. So we do agree. When I say "daytime MOT is a thing", I mean, they'll pass a bike only suitable for riding in daytime, and they'll stick an advisory on it. I don't mean to imply it's a separate kind of pass or has any other weight.

Interestingly though, this phrase "only to be used in daylight hours and not to be be used in times of reduced visibility" pops up in lots of places, so if they are manually adding it to the advisory section, they're copy/pasting it from somewhere.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 16 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/lqoUSpN.jpg

You are aware a woman has been questioned on her sheer lunacy and continuing series of errors by none other than
a group of men. She'll not be back, because she never heard what she wanted to hear.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:37 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallout wrote:

Interestingly though, this phrase "only to be used in daylight hours and not to be be used in times of reduced visibility" pops up in lots of places, so if they are manually adding it to the advisory section, they're copy/pasting it from somewhere.

Fromn the wording in the road traffic act 1989 most likely, as a reference to when unlit vehicles can be legally driven on public roads. which has little bearing as far as mot goes, it doesn't appear anywhere in the Vosa/DVSA manuals though, and advise on the training course is always to pass and manually advise that no lights are fitted at the time of test.

There are many examples of this sort of thing having an MOT doesn't guaruntee that your vehicle is road legal in the eyes of the Construction and use regulations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3