Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 stroke bogging

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: 2 stroke bogging Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have recently purchased a 50cc geared motorhispania ryz50 for just £100 , the bike was listed as unregistered and not working , I fully expected this bike to be a pain in the arse to get legal and running , long story short the “engine noises” as the bloke who I bought the bike off of ended up being a woodruff key £8 making a horrendous noise and preventing the starter motor from engaging. The Dvla gave me a runaround for around 2 months with registration until i bought a registered Peugeot XPS 50 frame (identical to motorhispania) and swapped the parts over.

This is where my issues began to arise , the bike starts instantly and idles perfectly on and off of choke , I have rebuilt the carburettor and cleaned everything with carb cleaner , blown out all fuel lines with a compressor as well as the fuel filler cap valve and have checked the vacuum fuel valve . I have also checked the spark plug and gapped it correctly as well as checking that the head bolts are all tight and that the exhaust has no blockages . Finally I will add that the fuel is fresh shell v power to eliminate that potential issue.

The actual problem with the bike is that it bogs under any sort of load , for example in neutral you can rev it up to 10,000 to 11,000 rpm no problem however as soon as it’s in first gear it won’t reach 4000 before bogging and dying . I have waited 20 mins before running attempts for the bike to warm up and it’s spitting out some oil from the exhaust and smoking correctly (eg a little but not excessively) does anyone have any ideas how I could fix this issue / what it could be caused by as I’m out of ideas

(This bike uses a water cooled minarelli am6 engine with oil injection)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:09 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of common stroker issues.

First and foremost. Fit a new plug if you haven't already.

Compression. Could it have a damaged bore/piston, broken piston rings?

Leaky crank seals.

Inlet air leak.

Does it have a standard air box, filter and exhaust?

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike has a standard air box and a new ngk spark plug though there is some flywheel play and regarding the exhaust there is a second pipe coming out vertical from the header end of the exhaust that a previous owner has plugged and jubilee clipped closed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
The bike has a standard air box and a new ngk spark plug though there is some flywheel play

Play on the flywheel or play on the main bearings (usually presents as vertical play on the end of the crankshaft)? If the mains are shot, there's a good change the crank seals are too. Engine apart, new mains and crank seals.

Even if it's just the flywheel, there shouldn't be any play on it. I'm not familiar with your bike but they are usually on a keyed taper. If it's not totally solid on that, it will take out your woodroffe key then spin-up in short order. Your timing pickups will also be on there so if it's flapping about, you could be getting spurious signals.

If the taper is only a little damaged, you may be able to lap the flywheel back onto the taper with some fine grinding past but only do this if you are 100% confident you can remove all traces of the paste afterwards. I'd personally only consider attempting this without the crank on the bench on a bike with a "dry" alternator. The risk of grinding paste contaminating the oil is too great.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took your advice and checked the flywheel and crank end thoroughly, there is nothing wrong with the taper or the key , the issue is the crank moving with the flywheel and so I assume the bottom end bearings are blown , I have ordered replacements as well as seals , do you think this will solve the issue and if not what else should I check that I Haven’t allready

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:56 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blocked exhaust, decoke the system.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:57 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
I took your advice and checked the flywheel and crank end thoroughly, there is nothing wrong with the taper or the key , the issue is the crank moving with the flywheel and so I assume the bottom end bearings are blown , I have ordered replacements as well as seals , do you think this will solve the issue and if not what else should I check that I Haven’t allready

Couldn't possibly say but if the mains are shot, they need replacing and there is a very good chance the seals will have gone at the same time. It'll never run properly with leaking crank seals.

Yopu'll have a good oppertunity to scrutinise the rest of the engine for issues while you're in there.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:38 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaking crank seals normally give very poor starting

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update , so I have checked thoroughly the crank seals , put a new gasket set on the cylinder and head , equally I have changed the previously incorrect spark plug and replaced the old fuel tap for an identical new one , I have also pulled the flywheel and checked the stator , to find a broken stator backplate (mount for stator) that I have replaced , however I am still plagued with this same issue of bogging under load , does anyone have any further ideas ,
I have also today taken off and apart the carb that came on the bike , it is bigger than stock , stock is a dellorto phbn 16mm and this bike has a phnb 19mm with a large main jet (84) and a larger than useual Idle jet (45) would this cause concern or shed any light to my problem , also the spark plug is allways wet and slightly black when pulled , and the air filter Is stock
Thanks
2strokebloke

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:40 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either replace the exhaust or clean it out,
I use an oxy acetylene flame carefully to set fire to the carbon then turn off the acetylene and keep it burning on the oxo

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it definitely the exhaust or could it be another factor like cdi or some other obscure part , and I don’t have a oxy torch so how else would I clean the exhaust?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:08 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old chemical way was to use caustic soda . The burning method is better , maybe a gas torch and a compressed air line

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Just an update , I have fixed the bike , I took the advice to clean the exhaust with no luck and then after checking the cdi came to the conclusion that it was fine , it then dawned on me that the bike had a brand new ( and unfortunately cheap ) cylinder kit fitted , this lead me to believe that , due to the larger than stock carburettor, the bike has previously had a 70cc kit fitted , and judging by the shitty quality of Previous repairs (rounded bolts and dry joints etc) the 70cc kit blew up , this led me to the conclusion that the carb had been butchered and fucked about with no end as well , so I went on eBay and for £15 bought a used carburettor off of an updated model of my bike , though this was stock of course, my bike 2005 carburettor 2011 , I rebuilt and cleaned the carburettor before fitment and sure enough the bike works perfectly albeit running a little bit rich , I would implore anyone with seemingly unfixable fueling issues like I had to buy a secondhand carburettor off of a WORKING model of your bike , this is because the carburettor is known to have been working at some point and so provides a baseline ,
Thank you all for all of your prompt and very helpful reply’s
2strokebloke

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:56 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the start of this thread you stated you had rebuilt the carb.
How did you rebuild the carb?
Pattern carb rebuild kits have inferior fuel metering components in them and normally don't include the items you really need which are jet needles and needle jets, these items are hard to find or unavailable, these are the most important items to ensure the carburetor performs correctly .

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:11 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just read the thread, I would have said too rich at the outset, like driving with the choke out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In answer to tankie and st George , by rebuilt the carburettor I did not mean refurbish , this was intended to mean that I took apart the carburettor and sprayed everything down with fresh petrol and carburettor cleaner , also these am6 engine 50cc geared bikes all come with dellorto carburettors and so the refurbishment kits are all quite good (bar the Chinese ones) and parts , jets etc are easy to come by. And st George you were right , the bike would appear to have been fitted in its past life with some sort of performance kit (70cc) and has all of the signs of an engine Grenade , this is because carburettor was a 21mm dellorto rather than the stock 17.5mm , the fix was surprisingly simple , these bikes being a favourite of 16 and 17 year olds such as myself they’re crashed all the time , this meant that for a whoppping £15 shipped I got a stock carb off of a running (although mangled) bike so the excessive rich condition was fixed

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:31 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:37 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I was right for a change, pleased for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 224 days between these two posts...

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:42 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I’m ressurecting this ancient thread however I feel that I should warn other looking at getting any bike fitted with a minarelli am6 engine as I have now had nearly a years experience with it .

As this thread would suggest the bike I bought was a dog , the dickhe... I mean previous owner had taken the engine apart and not even bothered to use the correct nuts on the crank ends , this lead to the non locking nut to loosen and drill a hole through the clutch cover meaning that I had to buy a new one and fit it (water pump out, oil pump out) total pain in the arse , due to this and a problem that plagues this bike , the water pump seal failed and mixed water into the gearbox , total engine flush with 4 litres of new oil and water pump rebuild with new seal.

Then came the electrical problems , 2 Stators blown as the stock ones are shit, the voltage regulator (that for some reason houses the indicator relay) blew , the bike still ran but the indicator didn’t flash and I only learned of this after blowing all of the dashboard under lights, 1 cdi unit blown out of nowhere , easy fix and some electrical gremlin that kept on blowing rear bulbs.

My advice to anyone looking at buying any am6 engine bike is to buy new / very well looked after and inspect closely . I must say that for the past. 7 months the only problem is that this engine doesn’t like long distance (more than 15 miles) though is now very reliable. Don’t buy anything with a cylinder kit unless you are prepared and able to do a full engine tear down and overhaul. Also for the past 2 months I have given up on the starter motor and have been bump starting so I’d buy one with a kickstart. They are awesome for a 50cc and from experience can keep up with slow 125 like a grom.

As a note on safety, the lighting system that these little engines facilitate is powered direct off the stator , in the day/dusk this is fine , however at night when decellerating as the Revs drop the break light flickers and dims so much it can bearly be seen as does the headlight , which means that you become all but invisible to cars.

My takeaway from my continued ownership of this bike is that they are a great 50cc that can do stock around 55mph gps and 63 indicated and cruise at 40mph their gears make them better at hill climbing than a ped and they feel like a real bike , due to not having a power valve the power band is very noticeable making the bike lethal in the wet and a bastard in traffic, fuel economy is piss poor for a 50 at around 50mpg though I do Ring the neck off it, if you want a boring commuter that does 30mph all day , never overheats and gets 100+ mpg don’t bother , however if what your looking for is a fun bike for a short commute and weekend rides then one with an am6 is the best option.

I hope this helps someone interested in the reality of this engine

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side: you've learnt a lot about rebuilding engines Laughing

The lighting is curious. Standard practice would be to power the brake light and indicators from the battery and the headlight/rearlight from the AC.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1