Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

gpz305 front indicators

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

robgpz11
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:47 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: gpz305 front indicators Reply with quote

hi everyone,i am currently restoring a Kawasaki gpz305 and im having a prob with the front indicators and fitment...what i need to know is this..do the indicators come straight out the front fairing or do they angle back??..cos on fitting mine they angle back and it just dont look right??..can anyone help?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that you are missing some type of angled spacer, that fits between the fairing and the indicator stalk.

Dou you have all the parts?
Check here:-

Check Here

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:53 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They stick out straight.

I, for one, am astounded there are any of these still running. Mrs stinkwhel killed 3 of them and the first of those was made from two other dead ones.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Kawasaki made them from metal and not dogshit mixed with bus tickets they may have ended up a minor classic.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Had Kawasaki made them from metal and not dogshit mixed with bus tickets they may have ended up a minor classic.

If you can find one that had a conscientious owner/s who changed the oil every couple of thousand miles then there's no reason they shouldn't keep going. They are quite possibly the most fun four stroke tiddlers that I ever rode.

I had two of them, one suffered the usual head/camshaft issues and the other one was still going strong when I sold it. The duff machine came in handy as a donor, especially for the belt drive, those things are fucking extortionate!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:07 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you mean is if you get one which had a previous owner who never went over 80 on it. And you don't intend to either.

Chocolate oil pum drives notwithstanding, the entire engine will seize then grenade if you ride it inywhere near the speed it is capable of for a protracted period.

I get where you're coming from though, they are a sweet bike to ride. I always thought one of those with a K-series CB250/350 or 400 hawk motor in would be a great wee bike.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What you mean is if you get one which had a previous owner who never went over 80 on it. And you don't intend to either.

Chocolate oil pum drives notwithstanding, the entire engine will seize then grenade if you ride it inywhere near the speed it is capable of for a protracted period.

I get where you're coming from though, they are a sweet bike to ride. I always thought one of those with a K-series CB250/350 or 400 hawk motor in would be a great wee bike.

Well that's a shame then as I knocked the knackers off the good one and it was still running nicely when the missus sold it. It had about 18k on it when we bought it and must have put at least ten thousand miles on it between us before she fancied moving up to an ER5 with 60 miles on the clock, now that was a boring ride...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:34 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate bought one. Off an old guy, been annually serviced by the local bike mechanic (only did about 1500 miles a year). We serviced it again as a precaution. It made it to the Dragon rally and halfway back. Ran like a dream right up to the point it shit itself. Pretty sure it was a primary big-end failure that time but it took out the crank, one piston and the valves.

Got given another two off a guy. Both basket cases. One had suffered a cam failure, the other had suffered a total lack of any common sense when using RTV on a rocker box failure. Total strip down yeilded a pair of good pistons and a decent crank.

Wife took it out on a camping trip to the highlands. Heat-seized coming back down the M74 at 105 mph and threw a conrod through the front of the crankcase and cylinder head.

Managed to source another scrap engine. Top end was ok but the crank was a tad clunky so the local light engineering wizard pressed the three cranks I had apart and made a good one. Once again fully rebuilt the engine. Nipped up on the M90 at about 110mph but freed off again. Pissed oil out all the way to a rally on Shetland where I managed to get a head gasket delivered to my tent and fitted it in the bus shelter.

Made it all the way home down the West coast but by the time it got there it would only do about 60mph and was smoking badly. The pistons lands were pretty much crumbling apart. Sold it as a non-runner. Bought her a CB500s.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:31 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the first major engine failure, why did you keep rebuilding it?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
All mine went bang, bang, pop, pop!!!.

I suppose that's one of the joys of taking a good 250 engine and overboring it to 305!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:44 - 18 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
After the first major engine failure, why did you keep rebuilding it?

Didn't cost much other than time and Mrs stinkwheel liked the bike. The bikes were given to us and the scrap engine was less than a back tyre.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1