Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Snake oil.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Snake oil. Reply with quote

As we are talking about cars...

My Jaguar has a 2.2 turbo diesel, 200BHP. Nothing really fancy, a 4 pot engine but goes fine.

The Jaguar owners club recommends using premium diesel fuel with an addition of something like Wyns gold every 3rd tank or so.

Now with petrol engines I would personally just chuck supermarket fuel in and not worry about it but I've never had a modern diesel before (marine diesel engines were designed at the dawn of time Laughing ) with all the accompanying electronic sensors and also a DPF.

So car mechanics, is it worth the extra cost of V power and additives or snake oil is snake oil.

The car is running fine and the cost difference is not too bad that I'm struggling. It's just purely to keep it running in the best condition I can.

Thanks!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had modern diesel lease cars for the past 20 years (Alfa mostly & now a Citroen) - never used anything but cheapest diesel (oh and petrol once* Embarassed ). I never racked up high miles but do go on the occasional motorway run which helps.

I wouldn't bother unless you are on a diet of short runs that don't burn off the particles**.

* never started, drained by self - ran with some Wynns on initial start back up
** whatever they are

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - just give the thing a helluva blast now and then.
Lots of people buy a diesel because gr8 mpg and then only do city driving which is both pointless and will eventually choke the poor thing.

My last 2 cars have been diesels and they've only ever been run on normal fuel. I give my cars a good fettle every 2nd week - literally foot to the floor and make the thing breathe. Obviously do it away from certain eyes and don't do a simple flat out. 10 miles is good enough.
If you can't do that for whatever reason then try doing a 50 mile non-stop run. That doesn't have to be flat out. Just keep it going and make progress.
I'm lucky in that I can find remote valleys into the hills. Those same roads have some good long hills to make the engine work harder.

My current car, a Leon 184, will gradually choke up but the odd blast now and then really makes a difference.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
just give the thing a helluva blast now and then.

When I was in getting an MOT years ago some old guy was getting a bit of a telling off for NOT doing this in his 4x4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesels? Filthy things, barely one step up from coal-fired steam power and not suited to domestic transportation. If it's not chucking out a cloud of soot when you accelerate or change gear you're knackering it. And if it is (it will be), you're killing kittens, turtles, OAPs and school kids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Diesels? Filthy things, barely one step up from coal-fired steam power and not suited to domestic transportation. If it's not chucking out a cloud of soot when you accelerate or change gear you're knackering it. And if it is (it will be), you're killing kittens, turtles, OAPs and school kids.

Legally as well Dance!

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a decent quality fuel, I used to use supermarket fuel and never believed the hype about using better quality fuel but in my experience the car runs better on it and gives a slight better mpg.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick some magic pellets in the tank.
While yer at it, bung a in few magnets, a rusty nail
and a dead rat and it'll go like the clappers

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Re: Snake oil. Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So car mechanics, is it worth the extra cost of V power and additives or snake oil is snake oil

What does it say in the owner's handbook? I think it more likely that it says something along the lines of "take it out for a long run reasonably often" rather than "It runs best on snake oil".

uberkron
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:46 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The additives only result in expensive exhaust gas.

Myself, I would consider adding some kerosene/petrol if I was taking a diesel to climes below -40c

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the cost of high pressure fuel pumps, injectors and DPF, I wouldn't put anything in the tank other than diesel.

Costco only offer premium diesel, my car ran better on that compared to Asdas.
I stuck normall Shell diesel in once and it ran ok on that too.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:24 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I test drove the same car in petrol and diesel versions. The diesel blew the petrol away - much better torque and far more exciting on motorway runs. Bought the diesel! With all the massive pollution the East is chucking out, our little UK luxury is piffle in the 'save the planet' nonsense. Just do a motorway blast every week and your car will be fine. A lot of the anti diesel sentiment is media driven. Phase out all fossil and go electric eventually, by all means. But petrol 'holier than thou' nonsense is a storm in a teacup!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car?
Go electric? Folded arms

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:49 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
A lot of the anti diesel sentiment is media driven.

There're two "different" sorts of pollution:

1) Global, world-threatening pollution. Diesel is "more economical" than petrol and produces less CO2 per unit distance all else being equal, so is less bad by this measure. Interestingly, removing catalytic converters from petrol cars in the UK and using "lean burn" engines would reduce this "sort" of pollution too...

2) Short-term pollution that affects us particularly. Carbon particles which we may breathe in, nitrogen oxides which are highly reactive.

From the world's perspective, diesel is less bad for it.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:29 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
What car?
Go electric? Folded arms

Mine is a Mokka 4x4 but have found the same in many other test comparisons. However when buying I am more likely to go for the best deal regardless of fuel type. My cars have been mainly petrol but the two diesel Vauxhalls have been up their with the best. At the moment the electrics are poor value for money but one day...maybe! Still, where possible, reduce congestion...ride a motorcycle. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
A lot of the anti diesel sentiment is media driven.

Some of us live in cities and some of us cycle and some of us can tell the difference when breathing in carcinogenic diesel fumes.

I agree diesel variants are often more interesting to drive due to the torque, but I still hate them, and they still don't make sense for short journeys.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:46 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a city. I have a petrol car for town and a diesel one for the motorway. The bike is more enjoyable than either for beating traffic queues! I cycle but only on cycle paths - cyclists in double file holding up the traffic on a narrow road or solo going slow in town drive me nuts. No horses on the roads ever, please - tracks only . Choose the right transport for the right purpose. Simple!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
If it's not chucking out a cloud of soot when you accelerate or change gear you're knackering it.

You know how DPF's work right? Modern diesels don't throw out clouds of soot anymore, they hold it in to burn off at higher temps as less harmful particles.
My understanding is that the latest diesels are as clean as petrol engines, but if you don't run them right you'll get a clogged dpf and expensive repairs, and on short runs they take longer to warm up etc.

Regarding fuel, I've got a Merc diesel that's now got 80k miles on it and I've run it on Tesco standard diesel. I'm doing 500 miles a week and it runs fine without any additives. I also get clubcard points. Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
far more exciting on motorway runs

Neutral
jnw010 wrote:

You know how DPF's work right Modern diesels don't throw out clouds of soot anymore, they hold it in to burn off at higher temps as less harmful particles.
My understanding is that the latest diesels are as clean as petrol engines, but if you don't run them right you'll get a clogged dpf and expensive repairs, and on short runs they take longer to warm up etc.

Crying or Very sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1