Top Gear New Series Sunday BBC2 8pm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
It just stinks like they ousted the old presenters for not being PC and replaced them with a multicultural cast, deliberately contrasting from its former image.

It now feels so fake, it’s embarrasing. It was probably just as fake before, but without a clear Al Beeb agenda, it was easier to cover up.

It was only fake insofar as a lot of the ad lib bits were scripted, but that only became obvious after several series, when the format was getting tired and, even then, the whole team (front of camera and behind) were good enough to carry it along.

I watched the rerun tonight and it's so clearly a rehash, with a team that just can't cut it.

1. High performance estates, put through a series of tests? That was done with the M5 Touring Vs E55 AMG years ago, not forgetting the source of the Nile special.

2. AWD getting to the top of a mountain, including marsh land, rocks and land anchors? Clarkson driving the then new Discovery up a Scottish mountain in 2004 (even then the tree huggers got very exercised about him churning up their peat bogs) and then leaving it there because he went home by helicopter and accidentally took the keys with him............ho, ho, ho

To be honest, the present team have made a decent fist of it, having gotten rid of the ginger whinger, but it still seems like they've been shoehorned together; even after 3 series, only MLB shows any experience of knowing how TV really works, especially when it comes to breaking the fourth wall, but there's no proper chemistry.

I do have some hope for next year's Paddy McGuiness/Freddy Flintoff retread, but only if they do something really new, which will be difficult at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always been fake, it's simply a program made for entertainment granted, it's always struggled in that department, don't I've ever been arsed to watch a full episode.

Engie Benjy was less fake, and, more entertaining

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:35 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
it's always been fake, it's simply a program made for entertainment granted, it's always struggled in that department, don't I've ever been arsed to watch a full episode.

Engie Benjy was less fake, and, more entertaining

I just had to google that Embarassed

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:04 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you mostly appear to be posting a thread about a programme you don't watch?

Huh ok. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how in Donkland, the sacking of Clarkson was because they need to make it PC, nothing to do with him actually assaulting someone Laughing

Do you work for yourself because you'd fail a drugs test anywhere else?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:59 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tonnes of series I don't watch because I don't think I'd enjoy them. Do I create threads about them? No.

I could make a massive list if you like?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:
It just stinks like they ousted the old presenters for not being PC and replaced them with a multicultural cast, deliberately contrasting from its former image.

It now feels so fake, it’s embarrasing. It was probably just as fake before, but without a clear Al Beeb agenda, it was easier to cover up.

It was only fake insofar as a lot of the ad lib bits were scripted, but that only became obvious after several series, when the format was getting tired and, even then, the whole team (front of camera and behind) were good enough to carry it along.

I watched the rerun tonight and it's so clearly a rehash, with a team that just can't cut it.

1. High performance estates, put through a series of tests? That was done with the M5 Touring Vs E55 AMG years ago, not forgetting the source of the Nile special.

2. AWD getting to the top of a mountain, including marsh land, rocks and land anchors? Clarkson driving the then new Discovery up a Scottish mountain in 2004 (even then the tree huggers got very exercised about him churning up their peat bogs) and then leaving it there because he went home by helicopter and accidentally took the keys with him............ho, ho, ho

To be honest, the present team have made a decent fist of it, having gotten rid of the ginger whinger, but it still seems like they've been shoehorned together; even after 3 series, only MLB shows any experience of knowing how TV really works, especially when it comes to breaking the fourth wall, but there's no proper chemistry.

I do have some hope for next year's Paddy McGuiness/Freddy Flintoff retread, but only if they do something really new, which will be difficult at best.

They were re-doing stuff when Clarkson and Co. were still there and they're doing the same thing on the Grand Tour. They can only be original for so long, now its mainly about what 'twists' they decide to go with compared to what they've done previously.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
I like how in Donkland, the sacking of Clarkson was because they need to make it PC, nothing to do with him actually assaulting someone Laughing

Clarkson was on a final warning before that wasn't he? Yes it was a big thing he got sacked for but it could have easily been something minor: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27266102

[JC] "I've been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time, I will be sacked."

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol brought back some happy memories.
About that time he got in trouble for mumbling a word which rappers use all the time.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to sit down and reconsider how much you sound like you're grasping at straws?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Do you want to sit down and reconsider how much you sound like you're grasping at straws?

Was that aimed at me?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:32 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently watched the last series of Top Gear, pretty much alternating between that and the Grand Tour.

I actually prefered Top Gear, Grand Tour was just a bit too scripted and silly for me. The bit with them firing guns out the back or pickups was pathetically poorly done and badly spliced together. I think the TG lineup is pretty good. Say what you want about MLB but he is a proper petrol head and can drive/ride. I like Chris Harris and Sabine, Rory I'm meh on and Eddie Jordan can fuck off.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the first series of GT but they've gone back to the Top Gear format so I prefer it overall. TG's watchable ATM, mainly cos Harris and LeBlanc started clicking, you could see early on they were all a bit awkward and didn't have the chemistry of Clarkson/Hammond/May.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

I didn’t create the thread, nor am I the only one who is giving negative feedback. In fact, on reading the thread, it seems almost everyone thinks it’s shite.

Get over yourself. Thumbs Up

It wasn't specifically aimed at you, but yeah that's the point. If you don't like it don't watch it. In addition to that, don't create a thread or comment.

I fucking hate Glee but you don't hear me finding random threads on the net to comment on how shite I think it is.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:01 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sniffpetrol.com/2015/01/23/forum-gets-top-gear-discussion-thread-done/

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They forgot the bit where someone mentions Hitler Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:

I didn’t create the thread, nor am I the only one who is giving negative feedback. In fact, on reading the thread, it seems almost everyone thinks it’s shite.

Get over yourself. Thumbs Up

It wasn't specifically aimed at you, but yeah that's the point. If you don't like it don't watch it. In addition to that, don't create a thread or comment.

I fucking hate Glee but you don't hear me finding random threads on the net to comment on how shite I think it is.

I think its more people did like it, now they don't, and feel the need to vent at the changes.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:36 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so tried to watch it last night.....quite like the new Bentley. What I got was two wankers acting like 8 year olds let loose in daddy's 150k car.

Euthanise it BBC, it's sick and you need to let go......

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby1 wrote:
Ok so tried to watch it last night.....quite like the new Bentley. What I got was two wankers acting like 8 year olds let loose in daddy's 150k car.

Euthanise it BBC, it's sick and you need to let go......

I watched the Grand Tour, with the exception of the car, that was exactly the same. Don't like it, don't watch it.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the American Top Gear series with William Fichtner? I quite enjoyed it. Pity they never did a series 2.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Ia bunch of f*ckwits and putting them onto a boring straight laced show. Let them run riot, overspend budgets and drop some red filters onto grey skies. The viewers will love the carnage of a normal show being destroyed and the BBC will win viewers.
The 6 O'Clock News read by someone drunk, that sort of thing.
£5 please.

You mean like The Word? from the 90's? Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG that was disturbing TV.
Like Lynn Perrie doing disgusting sexual acts.
And the Wannabees or whatever it was called, someone putting their feet in sandals coated in dog shit. Puke
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2