Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance write-off (old) category C.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 19 Feb 2019    Post subject: Insurance write-off (old) category C. Reply with quote

I'm about to get a bike that's been off the road a year or so and is a "Cat C". Is there any special procedure to go through to get it back on the road, or is it just a matter repairing it then going to see the MOT man?

If that's the case, I'm tempted to say to him "That's a Cat C, please give it a very careful look".

Hm?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful, a cat c write off will have cosmetic damage initially but hidden frame damage or distortion.
Also re insuring a cat c should be declared and may cost more.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:52 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Be careful, a cat c write off will have cosmetic damage initially but hidden frame damage or distortion.

Eh?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

Eh?

Come on Ste what`s your advice as well as questioning mine??????????????

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:29 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat C doesn't mean that there's frame damage.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Cat C doesn't mean that there's frame damage.

So it is ‘caveat emptor’ or ‘buyer beware’ as you will have to satisfy yourself that the ‘structural damage’ that made it a cat C has been repaired properly. I’d expect the seller to have an MCN Bike Check to hand, and a sheaf of receipts showing what has been repaired and replaced.

It could be that the frame has simply been scratched or scraped down the road, or it could have been bent or cracked with the wheels out of line. Start by checking for damage to the lockstops on the headstock that would indicate there’s been a heavy impact.

Check the wheel alignment using a laser or straight edge like a fluorescent light tube or scaffold pole. Drop the bodywork off to check the condition of the engine cases. For example, crankcase damage that has been plugged to stop an oil leak.

If you are not confident in your abilities to spot a problem, then I’d want to take it to a mechanic you rate to check it out.

Also contact your insurance company before you go ahead. Most will accept a repaired bike, but they may insist on a fresh MOT as proof that the bike is roadworthy.

Take your time, satisfy yourself it’s good to go and you could get yourself a great bargain. But if you have any doubts, walk away.

Who`s going to strip off the cosmetics to find further damage?????

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:37 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're assuming that the was any structural damage to the frame when it was written off as a cat c.
Quote:
[list of stuff that could be damaged]

If you are not confident in your abilities to spot a problem, then I’d want to take it to a mechanic you rate to check it out.

The same could be said when viewing any bike.

It is always caveat emptor.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Fazer hack is a cat C.

It was used as a track bike for wifie then I put the lights and stuff back on, MOT'd and insured it and that was it legally.

Never bothered stating to the insurers it was a cat c because it completely slipped my mind. I'm not even sure you have to declare a cat C.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own personal experience, the things I'd be wary of with a bike that's been stood would be;

- Knackered battery if it's been left flat
- Perished tyres which might not be evident until it's been ridden (mine didn't show until I'd ridden 10 miles down the road, then they were covered in big splits - were fine and passed MOT before this)
- Gummy fuel bits from dried out fuel
- Significant rust if it went away with salty water on it (unlikely to have been cleaned if it was a write off)

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My Fazer hack is a cat C.

It was used as a track bike for wifie then I put the lights and stuff back on, MOT'd and insured it and that was it legally.

Never bothered stating to the insurers it was a cat c because it completely slipped my mind. I'm not even sure you have to declare a cat C.

You don`t have to declare a cat c, it`s when a claim comes in and the first thing an insurance com looks for is a way to get out of paying up.
(having been payed out before).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:47 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bike being a cat C write off isn't a reason to get out of paying out on a claim.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A bike being a cat C write off isn't a reason to get out of paying out on a claim.

It would be wise to declare it.

"""Can I insure a written-off motorbike?
Motorcycles that have been written-off can still be insured and they can make for pretty cheap bikes to buy. The biggest difference with a written-off bike compared to one that hasn’t been is the perceived actual value (PAV). That means the value of your motorbike is less than if it had not been written off, as you might expect.

This has two implications on insurance. First, most insurers will cover repaired motorcycles but you will need to check with them beforehand. Usually they will ask for a fresh MOT for proof that the bike is road worthy.

Second, the value of your motorbike will have gone down but the risk in insuring it has arguably gone up. This means your insurance premium could be more than if the model was brand new and had never been damaged.

As is the case with any hunt for insurance, it’s difficult to predict what impact a previous write-off will have on it. Each case is unique, especially so when it comes to write-offs, so you should always compare prices with as many different insurers as possible.""

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's worth declaring but whether or not to declare such things is open to debate.

An MOT isn't proof of road worthiness so who knows where they've got that idea from.

Not quite sure I follow their logic when they say the risk in insuring it has arguably gone up but that's up to them. Laughing

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:17 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dare bet that anybody can insure / give details / reg no`s of a cat A or a cat B write off to an ins com and they will not check or question it but will take the money off you and when it comes to a claim they will check then and say sorry mate it`s not insured.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was put on a Cat S (Old Cat C) when it got pinched by the scrotes that yet again failed to hotwire it. The underwriters (Markerstudy) wanted a new MOT *and* an independant engineers report.

Subject to inspecting the bike as usual, be prepared for something like the above. I work with a load of engineers, and they were fine with giving it a once over and writing a letter. You may need to pay for that service.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:11 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaffa, sssh.

OP, would just go over it, tyres, fuel lines, anything you'd consider a service item might be worth a replace.

Wouldn't ever care about telling anyone unless I was selling.

Last edited by P. on 08:31 - 22 Feb 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they ask, tell them. If they don't ask, don't tell them - simple as that. The onus is on them to ask.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1