Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second Bike Suggestions Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:19 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where would we go for a giggle... Don't stop, just ease up there.. maybe milk a cat now and again.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 10 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell over in a strong wind!

titter
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
kgm wrote:
Might get a pre VTEC VFR800 or vfr750 in your budget. Good all rounders, with bar risers can be fairly upright. Not particularly rabid so might not float your boat but good for learning smooth riding habits. IMO whilst a litre bike might be fun and perfectly fine in the hands of some newbies you're likely to learn more skills (particularly cornering) on a smaller bike where you don't have the same power of to compensate by blatting up the straights. Straight line acceleration becomes boring after a while and in the twisties a smaller bike you have to work a little can be more fun. Bear in mind that even an er6 will eat a lot of performance cars <100mph.

Hi thanks so much for your input. Was considering the VFR800 but being a sports tourer do you think I'd have a problem with my belly? LOL! Maybe I'm just getting paranoid but I'm thinking maybe an upright adventure style bike would be better? But like you said I guess I could get bar risers.

Now you mention the ER6 I'm pretty certain now that's what I done my DAS on. Ok so not a Suzuki after all but I was right about the cc. Yeah it was plenty quick enough for me, very exhilarating, but like I said my instructor shook his head when I mentioned about buying something similar saying I'd get bored of it quickly which has just put me off getting anything under 700. I know I'm not looking to spend mega bucks at this point but I don't wanna get a bike that I'm finding I'm getting bored of after only a few months.

kgm wrote:
The CC figure isn't the whole story either. A litre varadero isn't equal to tuono which isn't equal to a fireblade. All very different characteristics so it depends what you want. Likewise smaller bikes. Do you want a revvy engine where you need to keep it on the boil to access the power or do you want lots of low end torque? Personally I prefer torque to revvieness on the road.

I'm with you on this one, I'm not after a bike I have to rev the bollocks off to keep in the power band, I'd rather low down torque for lazy overtaking and power right across the rev range. In which case, does that lean me more towards the higher displacement engine bikes or is that not necessarily the case? Can you get smaller engines with plenty of torque?

kgm wrote:
You probably won't get much from BMW, Triumph or KTM in your budget anyway tbh but if your choices are down to reliability then triumph are as good as the rest and (most) KTM are fairly reliable now too (although require more regular fettling to keep them happy). BMW have their share of reliability issues, and when they break out of warranty can be expensive to fix).

Other things to look at - TDM850/900, bandit 1200, cbf1000, fzs600, lots of others. Really at your budget you're best just looking to see what is available reasonably locally for your budget and pick the one that is the best condition and that appeals to you.

I am considering raising the budget. It's not cos I can't afford it I just didn't want to spend much on my first proper bike in case I either pick a lemon or just get something that doesn't suit me and I end up wanting a change before long. Looking on Auto Trader (well, Bike Trader) if I up the budget from £2,000 even to just £2,500 a shit load more bikes start cropping up. Thinking maybe something like a V-Strom 1000 or do you think that would be very unwieldy, ok in a straight line and for commuting/touring but crap round the bends??? Triumph Tigers coming in around £2,200 to £2,500 what you think about these???

You can pick up a Triumph Sprint for £1000 to £2000. Great bike, the triple engine is a peach. At 20 stone you'll be glad of the extra power mate

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall we all stop replying and ignore the crazy Autist?
He's gone from wanting 1000 V-twins and 1400cc IL4's to a budget 600 and now wants a triple. He's not ridden any of them, and self admittedly has a faulty brain that means he has to rely on numbers and spec sheet facts instead of reality or experience.

Im out with this full circle brain fuck that can't pick a bloody second motorbike for himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8d/bd/bf/8dbdbf414177587e9a41da720ed0f8d4.jpg

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit bikes and you paid too much.

I just paid £1400 for my 04 fzs1000

The cbr1000 is a dog

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make friends with Paddy...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's the bestest at getting crashed bikes back on the road for 50p. He's local to you as well I think.

Bromance incoming...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the CBR500, sell the other two as spares or repairs after doing the minimum amount to them.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 23 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late now but don't buy crashed 'sports' bikes, fairings aren't cheap Wink It might be worth looking into how many parts the CBR500 shares with the CB500F, google says engine, frame, suspension and brakes, so I'd be tempted to do a naked 'conversion' assuming it'll work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6