Is auto stop start a good thing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Always turn my stop/start off as soon as I get the engine on. PIA, otherwise, thinking it's stalled. I like to be poised at the lights to be away quick if I'm first but then I'm in bike mentality, even when driving. As for saving the planet....petrol heads don't do much of that anyway! Do any bikes have it? One of my cars has it, not the other. Good reason for buying an old car, maybe. Very Happy

Yep, it definitely makes you slightly slower in the traffic light grand prix so that's the reason you need not to have it Smile Also I tend to use the handbrake quite a lot and take the car out of gear to save my little legs so its just annoying having the engine constantly starting and stopping, especially if traffic suddenly moves off or you stop at a junction then want to go quick.

Sister Sledge wrote:
MC it gets worse: Mine's a 2 litre diesel and so should need a large battery for cranking amps - no. Seems they've plonked a small battery on mine which is part of the eco thing. Linked to that is an alternator with an electronic clutch. It only charges when needed and doesn't waste fuel spinning the alternator pointlessly. Mine does 'regenerative charging' which means when I brake the electronic clutch on the alternator engages. That helps brake me and charges the battery without using fuel.
Oh and every bulb in my car, inside and out is full LED. Saves on wasted leccy too it seems.
Paddles for gears can be fun yes but in everyday driving it's a little too much, especially with having a DSG box - you cannot do better changes than what a DSG box gives. Imagine a normal auto car where you feel those slightly sluggish but smooth gear changes - mine doesn't do that. The changes cannot be felt. Floor it and the changes happen but there's no sensation of it except to see the revs needle swing. It's like when an airplane takes off - no gears felt.

I've never actually driven an auto, just been a passenger where the cars got a hill and taken ages to shift down. Also you notice automatic drivers doing last minute panic breaking into corners, I assume that's cos unlike in a manual you aren't in control of what gear you're in.

I think paddle shifters would be a bit naff for city driving one-handed (all gangsta like Cool), on the open road I'd like one.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
weasley wrote:
My SEAT Leon (DSG) will shut down just before you come to a standstill, meaning you immediately lose the electric power steering and sometimes means it’ll stop just as you decide to get going again, having not actually stopped because I try to anticipate traffic to avoid stopping.

It functions perfectly, I just don’t like how it functions.

Weird. My Fabia (which is almost the same car) the Stop/Start doesn't do that.

How old is your Leon? Maybe it needs new software? Mine only seems to activate when I'm in neutral and off the clutch. As soon as I put pressure on the clutch, the engine is back on.

It’s a 2017 but is a DSG so will behave differently to your manual. On my previous Audi A1 (posh Fabia) manual if I knocked it into neutral whilst slowing down it would also shut down at 1 or 2 mph, but I only ever did that to test out what happened - I don’t drive like that normally so it would usually behave as you described.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 21 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It puts itself on hi beam when there is nothing coming and dips when there is. It's uncanny! Obviously light sensors somewhere but it works amazingly well.

Yes, the ''base'' adaptive headlights switch between high beam and low beam just like a human would/should. The more sophisticated adaptive headlight systems go even further, as they can alter the beam itself. Not just low/high, they alter the projection, so you get perfect visibility while the ''high beam'' avoids the oncoming cars. Now, that's sci-fi for me.

Like so: https://youtu.be/CBUYm5AghVI?t=80

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:30 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

chris-red wrote:
My missus has it on her fiat 500, it's a bit naff, she has a button to turn it off which is now a part of her the starting routine. It's fine for traffic lights but shit for junctions. Other downside is a new battery for her car in £200+! It's a 1.2 FFS, my 2.5 litre Scooby cost £55 for a new battery.

It's starting to go I think this winter the stop start rarely kicks in however the car still starts with no hesitation, the battery is 8 years old TBF.

Why does it affect junctions? Most only switch off when youre out of gear with the clutch released so if youre sat at a junction and its your turn to go (in gear, foot on clutch) then it's not doing anything.

Hers is a Dualogic, this means it has a manual box but controlled by the car.

The stop start can come on whenever the car is stationary and the brake on. If you pull up to a junction or roundabout and stop briefly before intending to go it can kick in right when you want to pull out.

Yeah I can see why that would be annoying!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Mine is a DSG and yes it's auto but it has many variants. I can use wheel paddles, let the box do the work or knock the gear lever over and knock it forwards or back to select gears.

I've driven a few VW/Seats with the a DSG, and absolutely love it - they change gear almost exactly when I would in a manual.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DSG is pretty good - it is clever enough to downshift under heavy or prolonged braking to add some engine braking to the mix and it holds a lower gear when off-throttle down a hill.

That said, I recently drove a MINI Cooper S with the BMW 'DSG' which was even better, particularly the upshifts being sharper and quicker when requested by the shift paddle.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 22 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
My DSG is pretty good - it is clever enough to downshift under heavy or prolonged braking to add some engine braking to the mix and it holds a lower gear when off-throttle down a hill.

That said, I recently drove a MINI Cooper S with the BMW 'DSG' which was even better, particularly the upshifts being sharper and quicker when requested by the shift paddle.

Ford's dual clutch arrangement is a pain in the arse but, thanks to a huge lawsuit, at least we get paid by them every time they have to fix it.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
As we seem to be talking about every gadget Shifty has anyone driven a car with a collision avoidance system?

I heard from someone that their brother had been driving one and a plastic bag blew across the road and hit the front of the car blocking the sensor and the car violently braked, nearly shat himself apparently.

What I do think vehicles should have is a distance warning system. Something that made a nasty loud noise if you`re tailgating. Vehicles driving too close together is worse than speeding in my opinion and anti tailgating systems would do more good than speed cameras.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Leon has a ‘following too closely’ (ie tailgating) warning. It’s an icon on the dashboard that shows up if you’re too close to the car in front - it uses the same front sensor as the collision avoidance system.

The collision avoidance system can cut in when not wanted (example, car in front indicates to turn left, start slowing down, you don’t because you know they will move out of the way but the car panics and thinks you’re going to rear end them). On mine you get an audible warning and a big red icon on the dash. On my wife’s Volvo it also gives the brakes a quick dab, to alert you. Both will emergency brake for you if you don’t respond and the threat remains - just once my Leon has hit the brakes before I did in response to a momentary lapse in concentration combined with unexpected braking of the car in front.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What weasley says. Mine does that too. On one particular corner here (just a 40 mph gentle one) the council placed a planter with flowers in. When approaching it my car will sometimes go nuts with warnings - the good thing is that the auto emergency braking can be switched off.
I try to replicate the auto collision on the corner and sometimes it happens and sometimes not. The system isn't great.
On my Leon I have to switch off the auto braking each time it's started - a total pain in the backside that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got auto braking thank God. I don't think I could put up with having to switch that AND auto stop/start off. Two buttons to press. Wink

In seriousness, how soon to auto speed control or tracking and the like.

Most cars now have cruise control. Mine has a max speed setting as well. Integrate that somehow with GPS for speed areas so you cannot break the speed limit.

Fun days ahead. Rolling Eyes

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre driving a VW/Seat/Skoda/Audi and hate the start stop so much you can have the car coded by someone with VCDS or OBDeleven to permanently disable start stop, so no more button pushing!

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Integrate that somehow with GPS for speed areas so you cannot break the speed limit.

Our Volvo already has it. You can set the car so that it automatically limits your speed to whatever the local speed limit is, which it knows through a combination of GPS and signpost recognition. It is optional of course and I have never once enabled it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3