Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Speeding alarm or app?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rogerrdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Speeding alarm or app? Reply with quote

I have just won 9 points on my licence and would like to keep it. As we all know with average speed cameras and mobile police units and variable whimsical speed limits it is so easy on a bike to rack them up.

So does anyone use an Iphone app or other device, (Tom Tom?) that can audibly warn me when i am going 10% +2mph over the limit?

I use a Scalia, Bluetooth in helmet, sound system that connects to my iphone.

Cost no issue as I am sure it would be cheaper than the cost of losing my licence.

I was done for 34 in a 30mph and 76 on the M25 in a 30 mile section of 60mph "pedestrians on the road" new ruse. Plus 3 from previous.

Apologies if there is a thread already live on this but maybe I was using the wrong search terms to clarify what I wanted. Thanks all.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:40 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

10%+2 is nonsense. People are getting pulled for 31mph in a 30.

Just stick to signposted speeds and keep eyes open, maybe...

Speeding on the M25, the most ruthless camera based motorway, your fault Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot sat nav on Android device will warn at set %over !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:52 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try to stick to the speed limits. If variable speed limits are active on the M25, the cameras are also active. If I recall correctly, if the signs aren't active, the cameras aren't active. I've heard this is due to change soon but have not heard yet if there is a timescale for this change.

If you're going to speed, then back roads are the way to go. Never in 30s, never in 40's, sometimes in 50's, often in NSL and 78mph on the motorway unless there are variable speed limits which you should always obey. It's all about having the right mindset, and it's not worth complaining about the level of enforcement as you kinda should know not to do it. If you get done, you get done...

The 10% +2 thing is a guideline for traffic coppers, but the law says that 1mph over the limit is speeding, and it's possible for you to get done for that.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...

How is an app going to help you with variable speed limits?? Eh?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Speeding alarm or app? Reply with quote

rogerrdog wrote:
I have just won 9 points on my licence and

I'd say that if you need an app to tell you when you're speeding, you are not paying enough attention. No app is going to be 100% successful, either.

You can lose your licence from things other than speeding, too.

I hope you manage to keep it!

rogerrdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:16 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,

Thanks Davebike that is the sort of thing. I will investigate further. Anybody else got something?

Just as further background I am a commuter, 25 years riding, and 22k miles racked up last year. Never crashed, Never severely wobbled. Almost quite dull. VFR800 rider. Pretty spatially aware. But I am looking for something that just aids when I missed the 30 sign coming out of a 40 zone etc.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I am interested by this. People may be "pulled over", but are they prosecuted?

"A spokesman for the National Police Chief's Council told the Metro.co.uk that: "Current speed enforcement guidelines for police set in 2011 are being reviewed, looking at available evidence. The findings of the review will be considered by all chief constables before any action is taken.

"There is no proposal for drivers to be prosecuted for driving 1mph over the speed limit – that would be neither proportionate or achievable.""

The Metro may of course be wrong....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:25 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerrdog wrote:

I missed the 30 sign coming out of a 40 zone etc.

As 95 in a 50 got me 6 points, i would suggest that your awareness is a bit shit if you keep getting nicked in 30 limits.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia Maps was rebranded as "Here We Go", the app (Android and IOS) has a speed alert function where you can set your own thresholds.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/image-2.jpg

https://wego.here.com/

Waze also has an audible alert when you exceed a speed limit, and an announcement when entering a average speed limit zone. It also has community updated mobile speed trap warnings.

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to sound patronising but it's really all about observing speed limits and keeping to them. Remember the old tell; other than motorways, if there are streetlights then assume it's 30mph unless it says otherwise (repeaters will usually be every 200m or so, can't remember the specific distances). If there are no streetlights, then unless something is strongly suggesting a lower limit (houses close to the road, lots of them, schools, shops etc.) then it's probably a national speed limit, otherwise you'll get repeater signs for the posted speed limit, again at something like the intervals above.

Sometimes it means briefly dawdling while you're uncertain but better safe than sorry.

As an aside, and this is a less reliable method, but road signs are designed with the approaching traffic speed in mind, i.e. things like warning signs are different sizes on different speed roads. A high speed road might have a 900mm, 1200mm or even 1500mm high warning sign, whereas a 30mph road would probably have a 750mm sign, so these can also be a "tell". That said, if the speed limit has been dropped it's unlikely the highways authority will have changed the signs so use it as "extra info" rather than the basis for a decision.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tomtom is set to beep at me if i'm being naughty. More usefully it has speed camera / red light camera warnings and gets live updates on mobile cameras. I wouldn't rely on it to stop me getting caught, but it's nice advance warning for peole standing on the brakes when they see the camera and decide to pass it at 25. The average speed functionality is useful.

Waze and google maps warn of speed cameras, but only occaisonally. I only use them in the car when I don't have my satnav and suddenly need to find somewhere new.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I do - 20% under the limits and keep the licence happy?

If you're using or looking to a phone app then your eyes are away from looking not just at your speedo but also traffic and street furniture.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this one :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map

Although sometimes it's a little slow to warn you...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:25 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I am interested by this. People may be "pulled over", but are they prosecuted?

"A spokesman for the National Police Chief's Council told the Metro.co.uk that: "Current speed enforcement guidelines for police set in 2011 are being reviewed, looking at available evidence. The findings of the review will be considered by all chief constables before any action is taken.

"There is no proposal for drivers to be prosecuted for driving 1mph over the speed limit – that would be neither proportionate or achievable.""

The Metro may of course be wrong....

Yes, line manager got booked for 31 in a 30 outside work. Opted for course rather than points.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1