Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old Motorcycle Helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:15 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Old Motorcycle Helmets Reply with quote

What do you guys do with old motorbike helmets?

Mine's come to the end of its life & was wondering what you guys generally do?

Donate to fire brigade/St Johns Ambulance?
Smash it up & unleash your anger? Twisted Evil
Convert it into a lamp/flowerpot?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:59 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Re: Old Motorcycle Helmets Reply with quote

BeanyB wrote:

+1.

You could turn it into a hanging basket, if you want to signal to every passing pikey that there's a bike to be nicked.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had one helmet I considered old enough to get rid of and when I got my new one the guy at the motorbike shop took it for me. I presume he scrapped it but either way I didn't need it.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:03 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put them in the loft with all the other crap that one day is going to fall through the ceiling and kill me Confused

Why? no idea it just seems a shame to throw them out.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:
I put them in the loft with all the other crap that one day is going to fall through the ceiling and kill me Confused

Aye, I'm pretty sure they are going to find me crushed with an Amstrad Studio 100 embedded in my face.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

Having recently had to clear out my father's old place, if you have any feeling for your heirs (and I am sure you have) I recommend that you cease and desist from this practice. Smile

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4 lids (all cheap), I'm going to see how long it takes to smash 3 of them.

The only one I tested was a flip up one from Lidl for £30 I believe.... about 10 hefty thumps with a crow bar only managed to pop one of the vents off the top of it.

Last time I tried anything like that was with my first lid (duchinni).... it took 5 point blank shots with an air rifle to get a small crack in the visor, then a further 20 minutes hitting it with a hammer and bouncing it off the ground until I gave up after only badly scuffing it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 27 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I ask the shop if they will take the old one off my hands, they
cut the chin strap off straight away. One shop gives them to people who
want to practice straying and painting.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just throw it in the skip at the recycling centre. I never spend more than £50 on a lid and they usually last a couple years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 old lids knocking around. 1 was old and 2 were from a big smash. I took them all to fire station and donated them to be used for training.

But... a friend did the same thing a little while later and they said they were no longer taking them. I'm not sure why, but guess it's due to H&S / head lice / head germs

Another option would be (if it's old, rather than damaged) to get it painted, I've seen some pretty cool designs done on lids.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AJARX9/custom-simpsons-motorbike-rider-helmet-AJARX9.jpg

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I never spend more than £50 on a lid and they usually last a couple years

And I thought I was a tight fisted fucker only spending about £200 on a helmet. Rolling Eyes

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony1951 wrote:
natefz6 wrote:

Having recently had to clear out my father's old place, if you have any feeling for your heirs (and I am sure you have) I recommend that you cease and desist from this practice. Smile

Spoilsport. I cleared out the loft space in my mancave (or in US speak, the trailer at the bottom of the yard) a couple of months back and lurking among the crap was a very nice full working order 1930's automatic pocket watch. All I need now is a fob chain and it'll pair very nicely with my Armani waistcoat. Mr. Green

OP: Why you no list 'sell them to some mug at a carboot sale'? Laughing

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:
I never spend more than £50 on a lid and they usually last a couple years

And I thought I was a tight fisted fucker only spending about £200 on a helmet. Rolling Eyes

Sounds like the salesman gave you the whole "only put a £100 head in a £100 helmet" rubbish. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an off years ago and followed the thinking of the time that after the accident, you should replace your bash-hat.
It was an old SHOEI .

I thought I would make it unusable to stop it being “rescued” .

That was one tough motherf*cker Shocked , after hitting it with a club hammer for a good 15 minuets, it had only just started to give in.

You would have to have one insanely serious accident for that bash-hat to had of failed.
Chances are that you would of died from other injuries long before that bash-hat failed.

I also decided to do the same to my off-road open faced bash-hat I used during my days playing Motoball.
That bash-hat was a lot cheaper, but it still gave a seriously tough account of it’s self.

My conclusion is that any bash-hat sold in this country will certainly last the initial collision of almost any accident.

I’d bet the chin strap and clip/buckle will let you down long before the shell will let you down.

I’m confident enough to clean mine inside and out and give them away if someone wants them.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I took them all to fire station and donated them to be used for training. But... a friend did the same thing a little while later and they said they were no longer taking them.

I did a Bikerdown course last year (run by the fire brigade), and I'm pretty sure they were asking for old helmets then. I might have misremembered though.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is it's not just about an indestructible shell. It's also about how well that shell absorbs impacts rather than just transferring the force through to your skull. That said my new helmet (Nolan N87) cost under 140 new and performed very well in sharp tests. Cracking lid actually.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I had an off years ago and followed the thinking of the time that after the accident, you should replace your bash-hat.
It was an old SHOEI .

I thought I would make it unusable to stop it being “rescued” .

That was one tough motherf*cker Shocked , after hitting it with a club hammer for a good 15 minuets, it had only just started to give in.

You would have to have one insanely serious accident for that bash-hat to had of failed.
Chances are that you would of died from other injuries long before that bash-hat failed.

I also decided to do the same to my off-road open faced bash-hat I used during my days playing Motoball.
That bash-hat was a lot cheaper, but it still gave a seriously tough account of it’s self.

My conclusion is that any bash-hat sold in this country will certainly last the initial collision of almost any accident.

I’d bet the chin strap and clip/buckle will let you down long before the shell will let you down.

I’m confident enough to clean mine inside and out and give them away if someone wants them.

After you've knocked ten bells out of them with a lump hammer?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:10 - 30 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about half a dozen in a long line on a shelf in my garage.

Unfortunately I left the visors up and a robin family decided that they would make good nesting boxes. Like all unwanted gimeedats they chose my best helmet that I only used for touring.

Wifey wouldn't let me expel them. Evil or Very Mad

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 01 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
pepperami wrote:
Stuff about crash helmet, blah blah blah!.

After you've knocked ten bells out of them with a lump hammer?

No stupid boy! Other bash hats Doh! Eh? I’ve given up hitting them anymore, it’s to much like hard work.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 244 days between these two posts...
centerstand This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn...
https://www.bikechatforums.com/search.php?search_author=centerstand

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of interest, what will fire brigade etc do with them?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
what will fire brigade etc do with them?

https://www.bikesafe.co.uk/ and presumably internal training too

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:49 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Old Motorcycle Helmets Reply with quote

centerstand wrote:
BLB_Rich wrote:
What do you guys do with old motorbike helmets?

Mine's come to the end of its life & was wondering what you guys generally do?

Smash it up & unleash your anger? Twisted Evil
Convert it into a lamp/flowerpot?

Sell your used lid on eBay. I only buy used helmets that are at least five years old. The best helmets I have ever been in were at least five years old when I bought them. I prefer a helmet that I can smell from at least five feet away, with bonus points if the previous owner rarely washed his hair. The most comfortable padding is sweat stained and dirty.

I am totally open to being in sweaty helmets, gloves, leathers, and boots. On long (or short) motorcycle rides, I prefer being clad, head to toe, in another guy's stink. There is something awesome about being coated in someone else's sweat.

You need a ban
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1