Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Commuting change - need bike change?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Commuting change - need bike change? Reply with quote

I've recently got a new job that I haven't started yet, but will mean my commute changes from a 20 minute ride using A roads to a 45ish min ride using the same route but adding 4 junctions of the M1.

I've got a 1998 BMW F650, which runs great - never misses a beat but does rattle itself around a bit being a thumper. And I'm not sure it may be the best bike for higher mileage use on a day to day basis.
I used to have a Divvy 900, which was great but a very heavy bike and would prefer something a bit lighter this time - but also faster than the F650.
However I'm a big bloke and fit on tourer's or sit up bikes better than sports styles.

I don't have much spare cash but could sell the F650 and a 2nd car to fund an upgrade, giving me about 2.5k to spend on a replacement.
Or I just spend a little now making the F650 a bit more reliable, like getting a scottoiler fitted.

Any advice/ideas welcome! Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:00 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.staffordmotorcycles.co.uk/HONDA_CB900-F_HORNET/p890976_19667031.aspx

https://www.staffordmotorcycles.co.uk/HONDA_VTR1000-FIRESTORM/p890976_19391664.aspx

https://www.staffordmotorcycles.co.uk/HONDA_XL650-V_TRANSALP/p890976_19171313.aspx

https://www.staffordmotorcycles.co.uk/SUZUKI_SV650-S/p890976_19310981.aspx

These kinda fit the bill? or even a deauville but cant find a link to one.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cbf1000 is a nice commuter bike 08/09 model.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Commuting change - need bike change? Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I've got a 1998 BMW F650, which runs great - never misses a beat but does rattle itself around a bit being a thumper. And I'm not sure it may be the best bike for higher mileage use on a day to day basis.

What's its top speed? You'll only be doing 70ish....

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using the BMW will be just fine.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links and tips, top speed of mine is 90mph plus. But it'd be nice to have a bike that doesn't need the gears changing quite so often on the way there.

Liking the Hornet and Transalp leolion - specially the Transalp but I'd have to find out what it's acceleration is compared to mine...
The Firestorm and SV are too sporty though.

It's a tough call...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F650 will be fine but a big bandit or cbf1000 sounds like what you're after. To be honest even a 650 vstrom would be a little more comfortable just by virtue of being a twin, and there's the litre version of that or the varadero if you want to stay adventure style

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:28 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A firestorm. For commuting. Laughing you'd be filling that tank daily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MisterPrice10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:39 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Commuting change - need bike change? Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I've recently got a new job that I haven't started yet, but will mean my commute changes from a 20 minute ride using A roads to a 45ish min ride using the same route but adding 4 junctions of the M1.

I used to have a Divvy 900, which was great but a very heavy bike and would prefer something a bit lighter this time - but also faster than the F650.
However I'm a big bloke and fit on tourer's or sit up bikes better than sports styles.

I don't have much spare cash but could sell the F650 and a 2nd car to fund an upgrade, giving me about 2.5k to spend on a replacement.
Or I just spend a little now making the F650 a bit more reliable, like getting a scottoiler fitted.

Any advice/ideas welcome! Thumbs Up

I've been in a similar boat very recently, commute went from 12 miles to 70 round trip and was riding a 2001 hornet 900.

Now have a 67 Duke 390.

While I'm not going to reccomend a bike as such, I will share what I considered

1) reliability. The hornet was very tired and I knew I had about a year left before stuff started going wrong either on the way to work or at some other point that would cost me ££££. I couldn't afford that either financially or n terms of settling in well right after starting a new job

2) my bike was only going down in value. It already wasnt worth much wo what will it be worth in a year when I have smashed 10k more miles onto it? Probably nothing.

3) fuel. While your BMW is probably not that bad on fuel, the hornet drank a lot. Could I justify getting a newer bike with the money I saved on fuel? Of course I could!

4) would a scotoiler etc help? It certainly would, but then it would just be a tired bike with a scotoiler.

TLDR: Get yourself a cheap to run ride and insure bike that's gonna get you to your new job safely. Fit a scotoiler and look after it and it should cost you not a lot a month to enjoy

Just my thoughts! You're situation is a bit different I know but if it helps then it helps

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:35 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the risk of getting kicked out..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-MAJESTY-YP-400-MAXI-SCOOTER-2004/123671789521?hash=item1ccb69bfd1:g:DaEAAOSwF59cepfq:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Satalis-500cc-scooter-excellent-condition-low-mileage/352571446451?hash=item5216e554b3:g:0aUAAOSwvdFcQNVs:rk:24:pf:0

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always comes down to what you want the bike for.

Let me elucidate....

Do you just want it for commuting? NC700. Maxi scooter.

Has it got to be 'fun' for the weekends as well? Adventure bike, Bandit or similar (yes, they can be fun).

Personally I couldn't hack riding a single day in, day out that sort of distance but that's my inherent dislike of them.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
A cbf1000 is a nice commuter bike 08/09 model.

Yeah, if you liked the Divvy 900 then the CBF1000 is worth a serious look. Exemplary motorway commuter with decent urban manners and a fantastic engine. Pull away, select 6th gear, relax.

I've got the mark1, which you'd find well within your budget, but the mark2 from 2010 onwards is a teeny bit lighter, slightly up on power, has a bigger tank and crucially doesn't eat its own alternator stators every 50,000 miles.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the tips, Maxi scooters... errr, just no. Shocked Laughing

I'm going from an 18 miles a day commute to a 40 miles a day commute. Google maps tells me it'll only be an extra 10-15 mins on top of the 20ish mins I already do outside of rush hour.

Almost not worth a change to as big an engine as a 1000 for this, but I do think the motorway miles will have a big impact on my 21 year old single.
On top of this I've decided to keep the small car and just sorn it instead of selling for the time being, which means I'd have to do more of a swap for my bike. I think a bigger bike for £1000-£1300 could still be a better bet though, I'll see what comes up in the ads. Thumbs Up

(I've also had a look at the CBF1000's, nice bikes - except Autotrader immediately tells me there's only 1 within 100 miles of me below £2k.)

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliable easy to live with commuter, fairly light weight, decent fuel economy, happy on A and M roads, no chain worries. Can't think of many modern bikes that tick those boxes better than this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/01/BMW_F_800_S.jpg/1200px-BMW_F_800_S.jpg

A squeeze for under £2k, but plenty around for £2,500

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that, I've just been doing more searching around and come across this one -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F650cs-Scarver/273728858867?hash=item3fbb82eaf3:g:jbcAAOSw7KhcdVqO:rk:3:pf:0

Seems a pretty good price, but perhaps too similar to my own F650?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen 1 600 Fazer and a chain oiler.

Big tank range, good economy, cheap

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:03 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a VFR800Fi as my commuter. 200 mile tank range, all day comfy, great weather protection, top box included etc. It's great.

It needed a bit of work when I got it, as the head bearings were loose and the shock was shot, but now it rides well and can lift it's skirts when it needs to. The main downside is the brakes. They really aren't all that, but seeing as most of my commute is either at walking pace or on the motorway it's not too bad for what I use it for. if I was taking it scratching I'd probably need to do something about them (apparently firestorm forks or fork lowers fit on, which allows a caliper swap) but as it stands I'm very happy.

The issue I now have is that the ULEZ will kick in soon and I'll have to buy a newer bike. I'm genuinely gutted about the prospect.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/vfr_small.jpg

Not bad for £2k (including a new shock that I bought seperately).

Last edited by MarJay on 14:08 - 04 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:06 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sound of it, you're looking at exchanging one 20 year old bike worth about a grand for another. The difference is that you know your one works.

Just ride it on the new commute and see how it goes. Don't worry about breaking it, just ride it and check the oil occasionally.

I would be wary of buying a big, cheap bike if I had to rely on it. Lots of things that can go expensively wrong. In the case of a 20 year old 4 cylinder bike, lots of niggly fuelling and electrical problems that are a cheap part to fix, but diagnosing it and getting to it can take ages.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get one that you like? they all have more than enough power for the roads, most are reliable enough

it's a real pet hate of mine when people talk about what bikes you can and cant commute on. what bike you can or cant use long distance, its all a load of bollocks bar some extreme examples

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:04 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
it's a real pet hate of mine when people talk about what bikes you can and cant commute on. what bike you can or cant use long distance, its all a load of bollocks bar some extreme examples

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I had a 200 EXC, I commuted on it once, but never again.

The distance OP wants, a Firestorm would be retarded.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:13 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

It really isn't. The thing with commuting, especially long distance commuting is you need to make it as easy on yourself as possible. This is why I chose not to use my Street Triple day to day to travel from Basingstoke to Central London. I could do it, but I'd have no wind protection and I'd have to fill up with fuel every 1.5 days. I'd also be taking my pride and joy which is worth a fair bit more than my VFR through some pretty nasty conditions, and having to deal with an upright riding position and having to use a rucksack etc.

The VFR makes it so much easier. If you had to get up at 5:30am and faced an hour and 20 minute commute, you'd want to make it easier on yourself too.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:56 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
If you had to get up at 5:30am and faced an hour and 20 minute commute, you'd want to make it easier on yourself too.

If I was going to fix anything, it'd be the half 5 wake up Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:00 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
MarJay wrote:
If you had to get up at 5:30am and faced an hour and 20 minute commute, you'd want to make it easier on yourself too.

If I was going to fix anything, it'd be the half 5 wake up Shocked

Not a great deal I can do. Getting to London for 8 is bearable, and leaving at 4 means I still get home and am able to see my other half. If I left later it would take longer... meh.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:05 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I suppose. I can get to London in 30 mins so wildly different, but I still get to work at 10 Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1