Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance and Security of my bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

robbo777
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Insurance and Security of my bike Reply with quote

Hi All

Just going through my insurance and I always say whilst applying that my bike has an Almax secrity 4 chain and padlock, which it does but only whilst locked up in my garage. The chain weighs around 16KG's so I never take it out anywhere with me.
So my question is, would I be covered if my bike was stolen away from my home without this chain fitted?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give 'em a buzz and find out.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 28 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before calling, look through policy. You don't want to invalidate your insurance and have them charge you.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Before calling, look through policy. You don't want to invalidate your insurance and have them charge you.

It will say in the policy documentation; I'd be amazed if you were covered without the chain. I mean - really, why would you be?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:02 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check your documents and or phone your insurance company but I'm sure that they do require you to use your chain when you're away from home.

In the event of your bike being stolen when you haven't locked it up with the Almax, your insurance company will laugh at you.

I wouldn't bother declare the chain to the insurance company in the first place. By declaring it they're expecting you to use the chain every time you park your bike up anywhere.

How much did declaring the chain reduce the price of your insurance?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:49 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

tbh I wouldn't add any security features when obtaining insurance as if you don't use them on once occassion and it goes missing that will be the card they play to not pay you. only thing I would add would be HISS, YISS etc but thats about it.

I think most insurance T&Cs say you must use a chain or disc lock when parked at all times or it is invalidated? atleast that is what it said on my Lexham insurance whether I claimed to use any devices or not

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:00 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Insurance is a game Reply with quote

Insurance is a game, a number of years ago I was working on software development in the insurance industry, they are just playing probabilities.

My Bike insurance just states that that it is invalidated if I leave the keys in the bike, and it made bugger all difference if I selected security devices to price. That is only in consideration of other circumstances though. If I stated security device it would just give them an excuse to not pay out if I hadn't used that device at the time.

Try different combinations, although I was programming car insurance I imagine bikes are similar, occupation can make a big difference if there are more than one that are factually correct try combinations.

Many companies are only trying to be competitive to a selection of customers and are very attentive to their quotes and potential liabilities for that market. For outliers their tables will just quote a BIG number and if anyone is stupid enough to buy it then fair play they will insure it.

There are always gaps, my eldest son, got through the car driving hurdles by learning in a 1980s mini, he got fully comp insurance for himself (accruing no-claims) as an under 20 learner driver (with anyone over 21 and fully licensed sitting in) for just over 400quid. We bought the mini with the money he saved compared to what his mates were paying for insurance (that was five years ago mind). When he passed his insurance was about 350.

Aim to answer everything as least specifically as possible to remove potential excuses, some things are based on combinations of circumstances, sometimes it might make bugger all difference whether you say you are going to keep it in a garage, driveway or anywhere else, other circumstance could be a big difference.

They will take any obvious opportunities to wriggle out of paying out though.

EDIT, I remember on a news item a long time ago there was a teenager in Northern Ireland who was driving around his city on a classic tractor, because he got the insurance for about 80quid or similar which just goes to show ..... something.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its much the same as my caravan - I have a hitch lock and 2 wheel locks but I don't declare any of them. Because when you declare them, you're required to have them fitted at all times when the vehicle is unattended, including if you stop at motorway services!!

It cost me an extra £30 to not declare them, but it's worth it so if it does get pinched theres no finger wagging because I didn't have all the security fitted at the time.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with declaring a garage - some insurers will then decline a claim for any theft from within a half-mile radius of your home unless it's locked in there (so don't leave the bike on the drive to dry off after washing it)

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Same with declaring a garage - some insurers will then decline a claim for any theft from within a half-mile radius of your home unless it's locked in there (so don't leave the bike on the drive to dry off after washing it)

I can't even grab a McDonalds under these circumstances, or go to Lidl, B&M, ASDA (inc Petrol station), stupid clause.

Not entirely sure I could even take my child to school as it's in the radius.

Again, stupid stupid clause.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read through my policy (via Carole Nash) and although I declared a chain (or disklock) at the time of getting the policy, there's nothing in the documentation other than when it's at home and unattended, it must be in the locked garage as per the policy. There's nothing anywhere else in the policy or T&Cs, so that implies that I could theoretically just leave it in a parking space and it'd be covered (although I obviously wouldn't dream of doing so!).

Very much down to the small print . . . if in doubt, as the insurer!

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:05 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I've just read through my policy (via Carole Nash) and although I declared a chain (or disklock) at the time of getting the policy, there's nothing in the documentation other than when it's at home and unattended, it must be in the locked garage as per the policy. There's nothing anywhere else in the policy or T&Cs, so that implies that I could theoretically just leave it in a parking space and it'd be covered (although I obviously wouldn't dream of doing so!).

Very much down to the small print . . . if in doubt, as the insurer!

Wow at least mine tells me I can't leave it with the keys in.. they are missing a trick there.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

Wow at least mine tells me I can't leave it with the keys in.. they are missing a trick there.

To clarify, I was referring to “extra” security measures Wink

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:23 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I wouldn't bother declare the chain to the insurance company in the first place. By declaring it they're expecting you to use the chain every time you park your bike up anywhere...

That^^.

I never declare any additional security - it knocks sod all off the premium and if you forget to use it they won't pay out.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Declare nothing, use something.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:28 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mr insurer, my bike was stolen.

Ah, did it have the security devices you specified fitted.

Yes it did, all of them.

If your bike, car caravan was stolen, how would they know what was on it at the time?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For future reference, and as said by many... Declare nothing, use something.

Mine, won't pay out if I leave the keys in it, but I don't have to have the steering lock on (Called to clarify this), nor do I *have* to lock it with any device, but even a simple disc lock prevents most casual/opportunistic thefts. As it is, at home they're locked up to the point if they can get them, they can take them. Anywhere I don't know while out and about gets a cable lock in addition to the disc lock.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
Hello Mr insurer, my bike was stolen.

Ah, did it have the security devices you specified fitted.

Yes it did, all of them.

If your bike, car caravan was stolen, how would they know what was on it at the time?

CCTV, witnesses, recovery, those that stole it being caught and interviewed....

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My policy stipulates my ground anchor & chain must be used between the hours of 11pm and 6am.

I have mounting points both in my workshop and outside the back of the house, for summer and fair weather periods.

If the bike gets stolen during those times and I don't have it anchored, I lose 50% of the payout.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a quote using disclock and security chain once, and it came out more expensive than using nothing.

As said, declare nothing, use what you think best.

I still think that if you declare security on quotes, they will think "he must live in a dodgy area or know something we don't" and quote you more, regardless of postcode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:37 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the policy that says you have to use a ground anchor & chain between the hours of 11pm and 6am (presumably only when at your home address?), how much cheaper was that than without having the chain and ground anchor declared?

Baffler186 wrote:
I still think that if you declare security on quotes, they will think "he must live in a dodgy area or know something we don't" and quote you more, regardless of postcode.

It's all just based on a big table of statistics about who costs them what.

That's all there is too it.

When getting insurance quotes, make no assumptions and play around with all the variables.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1