Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knocking down a dealers asking price?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

How do you go about knocking down the dealers asking price. I would be paying cash. So is there a rule of thumb for how much to offer under the asking price? How much do extras on a bike like heated grips for instance make a difference for what a dealer can legitimately expect to get?

Cheers.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My golden rule is advertise for 10% more than I want.

Depends on what it's up for though.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much the bike owes them, and whether it's a model that is their main bread and butter - a Vespa at a BMW dealers will need to be outed quickly. Lowest price would be what they could auction it off for. Find what the current market value is on a private sale, then add whatever value they'll be adding in the way of warranties, servicing, "freebies" etc, and you'll arrive at a reasonable assumption.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often dealers would rather have the commission gained through finance deals and therefore reduce the overall price for a bike on finance as it helps meet finance targets.

I have before bought a bike on finance cheaper than a 'cash' price and then paid the finance off with cash by cancelling the agreement with the finance company within the 14 day cooling off period.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
Often dealers would rather have the commission gained through finance deals and therefore reduce the overall price for a bike on finance as it helps meet finance targets.

I have before bought a bike on finance cheaper than a 'cash' price and then paid the finance off with cash by cancelling the agreement with the finance company within the 14 day cooling off period.

So how would I sound out what the difference is? presuming either a cash offer or offer through finance still needs to be haggled.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
So how would I sound out what the difference is? presuming either a cash offer or offer through finance still needs to be haggled.

I think the days of 'how much for cash?' are pretty much long gone at dealerships. Last bike I bought I made it clear I was after a reduction, and said I'd be happy to pay cash or take out a finance deal so the dealer could get any commission due; they said it made no difference either way, and I paid cash.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the dealer.
I know a car dealer that will take a loss on a trade in as he made good money on the car that he sold to the guy trading it in.

Say you make £1500 profit on a car but gave the guy a real good price on his £2k trade in, he would happily sell the trade in for £1750 knowing in real terms he made £1250 profit on the whole deal.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:39 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever got much money off of a dealer, especially not for cash.

Nowadays they make more money arranging finance than they do from cash in hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
How do you go about knocking down the dealers asking price.
Cheers.

Is this for real....... Laughing

Have people seriously lost any semblance of how to do things without asking on the internet... Rolling Eyes

You have a mouth, you open and close it making funny noises. If you are lucky the dealer will understand what you are asking for without laughing you out of the door Rolling Eyes

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Is this for real....... Laughing

Have people seriously lost any semblance of how to do things without asking on the internet... Rolling Eyes

Surely that's the great thing about the internet? I was'nt aware that these days a dealer may very well give a better price if you do the finance thing through them. Looking at my loan options it may well be cheaper for me to do that through the dealer than take out a personal loan myself or even save the cash up.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an almost identical bike/price at another dealer (not too far away) and try to play them off against each other?

Edit: Not the bikes - get the dealerships to offer a better price!

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Surely that's the great thing about the internet? I was'nt aware that these days a dealer may very well give a better price if you do the finance thing through them. Looking at my loan options it may well be cheaper for me to do that through the dealer than take out a personal loan myself or even save the cash up.

So again. Have you lost your thought process....

Open you mouth in dealers and tell them. I'll have that for XXX. If they won't do a deal, then walk.
Dealer wants a sale then they will try to strike a deal..

It's not rocket science and does not need any advise from the internet.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Open you mouth in dealers and tell them. I'll have that for XXX. If they won't do a deal, then walk.

Thanks for the advice Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Thanks for the advice Laughing

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've haggled £400 off in the past but it was a hard battle. I've also gone to dealerships who seemingly don't want to sell their bikes. One bloke wanted £3k for a 10 year old SV650 (but it was mint) and wouldn't budge at all, stating that he'd rather keep it in stock as clean low mileage bikes are hard to find.

Why buy from a dealer anyway, unless you are desperate for finance? IME the warranty is only as good as the dealership's honesty, often not worth the delaying tactics and fob-offs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting discounts on anything even remotely desirable is a challenge to say the least. It's a different world to cars!

As mentioned above, a lot of dealers make money through finance and trade-ins these days, not on the actual bike sale itself, so offering cash for the bike isn't actually much of an incentive to drop the price. What is likely to work in your favour a bit more is if you can promise to get the bike off their showroom quickly so they can get other stock out on display (assuming they're a busy dealership).

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
a lot of dealers make money through finance

It's fun to watch their face drop when you mention cash.... Clearly finance is what they want..

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Knocking down a dealers asking price? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
How do you go about knocking down the dealers asking price. I would be paying cash. So is there a rule of thumb for how much to offer under the asking price? How much do extras on a bike like heated grips for instance make a difference for what a dealer can legitimately expect to get?

Cheers.

I bought my bike last year. Went in to look at nearly new bikes (in Dundee) and dealer steered me to a brand new bike priced at £3950. I hummed and hawed and kicked the tyres for about half an hour, then said I would go have a look at same bike in Aberdeen (same dealer even) with only 200 miles on clock but priced at £3500. Before I could start towards the door he offered me the new bike for same price.
No talk about cash or finance. Instant drop of almost £500.
That may be an indication of how much new bikes are marked up, or may have been desperation to make monthly sales. Whatever, I guess there is plenty flex in price. But only if you ask or look like you are walking away.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to get a good price is to not actually want what you're buying. I've walked away from a car before to then get an email offering a £1k reduction on it. I still felt it was overpriced and ended up at another dealer further afield who was more competitively priced and moved stock more rapidly. I didn't get more than a couple hundred off his ticket price.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1