Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brakes Apply When Bars Are Left

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:43 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Brakes Apply When Bars Are Left Reply with quote

I have a weird thing happening with my Fazer Thou:

When I am pushing it backwards, if I turn the bars to the left, it seems like the brakes apply. Maybe something is catching somwhere, but I can't see it - hard to look at things whilst pushing the bike!

Brakes are fine otherwise (may not even be the brakes)

I have my MOT this month, so need to get this sorted.

Any ideas?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:50 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the brake lever hitting anything like the fairing or inside of bar muffs? I can't think of anything other than pulling the lever that would make a hydraulic brake come on.

I suppose if there was an odd wear angle on the pads, they could cam-on slightly when move backwards but I wouldn't expect this to be dependant on handlebar position.

I suppose ultimately, they won't be testing your brakes backwards at the MOT so as long as it doesn't do it when you're going forwards...
Teflon-Mike This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:25 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absentmindedly started to read Tef's verbal effluent, and from what I can tell it bears no relation to the subject at hand... I suspect a lot of his posts are like this...

My only suggestion for the OP is that a hose is being pinched or something? I'd definitely check the hose routing first of all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and suggestions (and stories...).

Unfortunately, the weather has been a bit of a bugger over the last week and is likely to remain so for the next couple. Already had to do a couple of emergency cover-ups and dashes for overhead relief a few times when working on it (not enough room in my little workshop, where it's normally anchored).

That means I've had little time to have a really good look around it - and this problem only became apparent on Friday.

First off - I thought of the pinched line, but I do have stainless steel braided hoses, so I doubt that would be the case - but it will be the first thing I look at.

Secondly, regarding brake lever vs fairing - I have the standard fairing and the levers are actually closer to the bar than the standard ones, so again, highly unlikely - and I'm sure I would have noticed that.

This is why I'm kerfuffled (that means I haven't got a freakin' clue Wink )

Tomorrow is the only dry day due, so I'll get a good look at it then. I'll report back if I find what the problem is.

The bloke who does the MOT is a really good guy, dedicated biker and really knows his stuff and I will probably ask him before the day, if I don't get it sorted quickly.

Cheers
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're fine and I set them up just nice - and this wouldn't cause the issue I'm having anyway
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:25 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mull thought: If you are going back'ds, and using full lock; trail on the front wheel tends to get rather perverse. When backing up, with a lot of lock, the front wheel is likely to try going in an arc, almost pivoting around the back, whilst you re trying to push at a tangent, meanwhile, the front wheel is tilted, and shoved side-ways by the fork-rake and axle trail; as you get near to full-lock, the front is as want to go sideways 'under' the bike, and if you is pulling back'ards, it's like trying to steer a way-ward shopping troilley, the 'caster' effectively folded the wrong way...

So are you sure that any resistance when backing up, IS actually the brake dragging, and not you trying to drag the front tyre across the floor, against adverse geometry?

Asside: this is one of the reasons 'proper' manual handling is in CBT and an element of modern Mod1 test, and you are 'supposed' to do any backing up out the saddle, not paddle. Have you tried that, BTW?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Brakes Apply When Bars Are Left Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
When I am pushing it backwards, if I turn the bars to the left, it seems like the brakes apply.

Does it happen when pushing forward? If not its not the brakes.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Brakes Apply When Bars Are Left Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Does it happen when pushing forward? If not its not the brakes.

No it doesn't seem to. Though I haven't tried pushing forwards after being forced to a halt going backwards.

We're due a sunny, if very windy, day tomorrow, so I can give it a good look at and hopefully spot something.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, then - time to put my "D" hat on and stand in the corner - though it isn't quite as embarassing as it could have been:

Yes, it does happen when it goes forward, because within a foot of moving it I spotted the problem - the brake lever is in fact being pushed - right at the pivot point, on the knuckle.

I've just had the touring screen shroud off to clean under it and when I put it back on, it had to be twisted a little to line up with everything, and I'm guessing it ended up a couple of mm further forward than when I took it off, because it's only pushing the knuckle about 1-2mm, but at that point it's far enough. You can barely even see the lever move.

Bit out of focus, but you can see where:

https://i.postimg.cc/QMKzrjXT/lever2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hjF5DNj3/lever1.jpg

Sorted Smile MOT booked - but considering the awful weather we're due this week, it has to be on Friday afternoon (rush hour + through traffic chaos). Oh well... Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
They're fine and I set them up just nice - and this wouldn't cause the issue I'm having anyway

OOPSY Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:51 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/QMcTSC0KJEa4g/giphy.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm.... whenever working on the front of a bike I always try and remember to test extreme lock to see if anything might get snagged Very Happy

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.... bugger off! Embarassed

In my defence, I'm an old duffer on a shitload of morphine - I can often not even remember what I did yesterday.

So... back to erm, um..... errr....

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
Oh.... bugger off! Embarassed

In my defence, I'm an old duffer on a shitload of morphine - I can often not even remember what I did yesterday.

So... back to erm, um..... errr....

This is the part where you flounce Wink

There is a thread here somewhere with stupid mistakes we've made from time to time Embarassed

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think it's that bad - it's not as if the lever was being shoved back in an obvious way or even very much. Maybe I should have recorded a video to show how little movement there was.

Don't forget, the contact point was right at the pivot point. It was also fine before I'd cleaned the touring screen parts and I'd expect it all to go back on just how it was to start with.

So I don't think it's that big a clanger. I've certainly witnessed far worse ones

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibs on your morphine if you crash and die.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my wife won't give my stuff to dipshits - let alone dipshits she doesn't even know
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1