BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Watching Nbc sports in the UK.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I don't work for the Premier league.

But I'd assume there would be some sort of Contract between the providers...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:19 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any website to stream any content, they need to have the broadcasting rights.

Broadcasting rights for Premier League matches are the contract between the Football Association and the company running the streaming website.

It's illegal for someone to watch a stream of Premier League matches from a pirate streaming site because that site doesn't have the necessary contact? You're not allowed to watch those pirate streams because the sites don't have the broadcasting rights?

That contract is what sets the pirate streaming sites and say Sky Sports apart? That's what makes watching one of those illegal whilst the other one is legal to watch isn't it?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nbc do have broadcasting rights.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadcasting rights for the UK cost Sky Sports and BT Sports £4.464bn last year. Shocked

The FA want to protect the value of broadcasting the matches. That's why they've got an interest in people streaming from sources that don't have the necessary broadcasting rights.

Whatever broadcasting rights NBC have got doesn't mean anything outside of America. It's a smaller audience in America so the broadcasting rights cost NBC about a quarter of what Sky Sports and BT Sports paid.

NBC have got just as many broadcasting rights for the Premier League in this country as any of the pirate streaming sites have. What rights they've got in America is completely irrelevant in the same way that what broadcasting rights Sky Sports and BT Sports only matters in this country.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. 👍

Nice grammar. A+

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:28 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've got to find the grammar mistakes. Razz

£4.4 billion is a staggering amount. Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Now I've got to find the grammar mistakes. Razz

£4.4 billion is a staggering amount. Laughing

Scary money. To pay that..... Imagine how big the number is on the other column of their balance sheet.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

Not the correct amount from those watching it illegally, like you! Smile

Yes yes - we all know what you think little man. toddle off now - there's a good chap.

Thumbs Up

Here have some karma, maybe that will appease you...

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

But as has already been pointed out. NOT outside USA.

How did these Kodi sellers feel...

Quote:
Kodi software is not illegal, but developers can produce third-party add-ons that provide free access to pirated and illegal content.

These apps allow users to stream premium content, like paid-for sports, movie channels and TV shows for free.

The illegal add-ons are being targeted by ISPs, government agencies, broadcasters and rights holders.

You are arguing is pedantic and just a play on words.

Illegal or civil.
Either way you can end up in court....

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

But as has already been pointed out. NOT outside USA.

Irrelevant to the argument in question though - thats not how it worded in the documentation provided in the thread earlier.

iooi wrote:

How did these Kodi sellers feel...

Quote:
Kodi software is not illegal, but developers can produce third-party add-ons that provide free access to pirated and illegal content.

These apps allow users to stream premium content, like paid-for sports, movie channels and TV shows for free.

The illegal add-ons are being targeted by ISPs, government agencies, broadcasters and rights holders.

not relevant, completely different situation. Free service vs paying for it - illegal boxes vs legitimate provider - Illegal addons vs non illegal sport app.

iooi wrote:

You are arguing is pedantic and just a play on words.

Illegal or civil.
Either way you can end up in court....

Firstly - Quite an important "play on words" though wouldnt you agree!

Secondly - No I dont think there is any chance of ending up in court, because its not illegal.

Civil wise:
Someone at NBC could potentially take offense that someone is using location changing VPN software to watch something somewhere they shouldnt be.... They cant take that person to court though.

Premier league dont have a case (from the evidence I've seen) because its an authorised provider

Sky / BT sport are not even entered into the equation imo - its nothing to do with them - the fact that I choose not to use them for a service.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you say so.

I say different 😁👍

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:20 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"People located in the UK can watch Premier League matches at home through a legitimate subscription to one or both of the Premier League’s authorised UK broadcasters, Sky Sports and BT Sport."

https://www.premierleague.com/live-streaming

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"People located in the UK can watch Premier League matches at home through a legitimate subscription to one or both of the Premier League’s authorised UK broadcasters, Sky Sports and BT Sport."

https://www.premierleague.com/live-streaming

Good to know they are on top of illegal streaming! Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how you don't have a subscription to one or both of the Premier League’s authorised UK broadcasters...

You are in the United Kingdom?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Notice how you don't have a subscription to one or both of the Premier League’s authorised UK broadcasters...

I identify as American. Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:18 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Ste wrote:

I identify as American. Laughing

Well I guess we can't Trump that...

You both have the same take. If I do it. It's legal... Anyone else and your fucked Rolling Eyes

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it is hard to find a definite answer as the premier league were still suing pubs in 2014 even though one successfully appealed in 2012.

If you only watch the football and none of the build up or half time compilations then i guess it's technically legal based on the ruling below. I guess the rules would be similar for personal use as it would be the copyright being infringed. It's also unclear who would own the copyright if the highlights were produced by NBC and not the premier league directly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

"The European court said that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated for a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League."

The link below doesn't seem to say if the streams were legal foreign streams or just outright illegal.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/11/24/pubs-in-breach-of-premier-league-copyright/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ashley_46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That’s copyright, not broadcast licensing. Surely the two are separate?
They buy the broadcast rights so own the broadcast licence.

I'm not at all certain, I was just looking at if it would be totally legal or not. I guess if the content is copyrighted then they wouldn't have the rights to broadcast it. It does seem that the NBC Geo-blocked content issue is not technically illegal though.

Quote:
If you look at the existing legislation, the Copyright Act of 1976 and its amendments protect copyright holders and determine the “fair use” of their copyrighted material. However, there is no mention of geoblocking in this legislation, which means, you can’t be sued for circumventing these geoblocks.

One of the main reasons for this legal ambiguity is the fact that services like Netflix stream their content instead of allowing downloads. So, it’s not clear if watching content online infringes existing copyright laws. The upshot is that if you want to circumvent geoblocking, you’re still on safe legal grounds.

Quote:
As much as I detest Sky fir what they’ve done to football, it’s the Premier League and footballers themselves creating the greed.

If Sky hadn't started pumping money into the game then the wages wouldn't have increased to the levels they have but when you are part of a billion £ industry everyone is going to want their share of it.

I don't really blame footballers for the wages they earn, I'd rather see the money go to the players than some billionaire owner since it's the players that people pay to go see. I doubt any of us would reject the money they are being offered to do a job and in a lot of cases that is all some players see it as.

They have invested the time and effort to get picked up as a professional so want to be paid what is considered the going rate. It just happens that the going rate is ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3