Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha dt 125 lc mk1 with a rd 125 lc mk 1 engine

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rocknroll0
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:31 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Yamaha dt 125 lc mk1 with a rd 125 lc mk 1 engine Reply with quote

Hi guys I am after some info on how to wire up the generator I have a Yamaha dt 125 lc mk1 1982 and I have rebuilt a Yamaha rd 125 lc mk1
Engine that I fitted into the dt I am having issues with the generator wires there are to many on the rd engine. I am using all the rd bits coil regular, cdi, generator, I have upgraded to 12 volts. I need to no what wires go we’re. The manual doesn’t tell you the information I need so help needed please thanks Andy
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rocknroll0
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply. I haven’t got any parts for the dt I bought a rd
Engine and rebuilt it. I will have to look out for the parts I need I thought if I could rewire it job done.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume you've used the RD stator instead of the DT one because it's 12v and not 6v on the DT? If so can't you look at the Rd wiring diagram and copy the outputs onto your DT loom, even if the colours are different between the two wiring diagrams?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weird as it sounds I'm fairly sure that the earlier cantilever mono shock DT125LC has a 6v electrical system. As you said the RDLC has always been 12v, so it stands that the stator could be different and the wiring outputs might not match up as plug and play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the original DT is 6V for some inane reason known only to Yamaha,

I’m wondering if the extra wires are because the RD has a 3 phase charging system and battery lights? As far as I know Yamaha only deceided to do away with AC lighting late in the DT’s model life? Basically you’ll need to use the loom and wiring components that match your stator, or find the wiring diagram for the bike your stator is from and make your own.

The DT125E is an oddball that used a 12v DC system like that on the RD200 complete with electrical starting.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My failing memory tells me there were several differences in the two engines and they could not be a direct swap - must have been electrical then!

If the RD engine is spliced into the 6v harness will it not bring in additional problems? Obviously bulbs will blow but things such as the voltage regulator and CDI will blow too?
I'd try and get an early DT generator/stator thing and put that into the RD engine? Given how popular the bikes were, is there not mention of this across the internet??
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1