Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:41 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! Next stop, 10k... Wink

Oh, and I see your kittehs and raise you a Soup Dragon.. Mr. Green

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Kittens are all dead now, cos Brexit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

GTFO!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Yes gtfo. Leave the political cancer in the appropriate place.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the supreme high of graduating and celebratory kittens and soup dragon, I failed tonight.

We had a different person leading. I thought we were going to be divided up into groups depending on our times we logged for our graduating run, instead we were told we were doing speed running.

I am not asthmatic but after 4km I couldn't breathe and was definitely looking forward to the end of the run. Then he said that we were going to do another couple of km more and I just couldn't do it. I gave up and walked back to my car.

I still can't breathe without wheezing. I am so disappointed in myself.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

Why? Genuinely. You did great and pushed yourself to breaking. Could you imagine having the willpower to do that when you first started?

It dawned on me that the point is learning to embrace the suffering as the real challenge is the mental aspect of pushing yourself and motivation. None of us will likely ever get to the head of the pack so just race your last best performance.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a decent amount of strength training today. Lots of rowing, Australian pull ups and chin ups and hands together bar push ups.
I ache.
I'm a lot closer to a pull up, or rather, a chin up. I actually did one today after my 'trainer' suggested I do it with him giving me a bit of assistance by lifting my knees.
He said he was hardly lifting me at all saying it was like lifting a couple of bags of sugar.
So I can either persevere with max effort each time but only try a few times a day or get the resistance bands and do lots of assisted chin ups.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:

You wanna try being me Laughing You definitely don't!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:44 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
After the supreme high of graduating and celebratory kittens and soup dragon, I failed tonight.

We had a different person leading. I thought we were going to be divided up into groups depending on our times we logged for our graduating run, instead we were told we were doing speed running.

I am not asthmatic but after 4km I couldn't breathe and was definitely looking forward to the end of the run. Then he said that we were going to do another couple of km more and I just couldn't do it. I gave up and walked back to my car.

Have you considered the possibility of exercise-induced asthma? Running - or any type of exercise - can trigger it, especially if the air is chilly. Just a thought.

Also, don't think of it as failure, you were affected by something outside your control. There's always the next run...

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoolie-gan wrote:
Have you considered the possibility of exercise-induced asthma? Running - or any type of exercise - can trigger it, especially if the air is chilly. Just a thought.

Also, don't think of it as failure, you were affected by something outside your control. There's always the next run...

I didn't know that exercise-induced asthma was a thing but I read some articles about it and it could be a possibility for me. It was cold last night, we were running by a busy road and we were running faster than usual. I just put it down to feeling generally run down and stressed with work but I have a doctors appointment coming up soon anyway so I will ask for some advice.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, I really do appreciate it Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to give the Time Trial a go in the morning.

Off to bed in a mo.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went training Friday and it was hard but good.
After last week’s revelation about my inability to move as much as the more younger/agile members, I was happier regarding what I could do.

I still try to be agile and flexible as best I can. However I’m not going to worry as much from now on.

Sparred with the instructor and got my arse handed to me on a plate Very Happy again Laughing .

Speaking to a work colleague yesterday and I have been invited to attend Judo classes, and it’s on a day that won’t interfere with my normal training sessions. Thumbs Up
I explained that I will never ever ever be in the big boys league or even attend every week and they were okay with that.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Well I went training Friday and it was hard but good.
After last week’s revelation about my inability to move as much as the more younger/agile members, I was happier regarding what I could do.

I still try to be agile and flexible as best I can. However I’m not going to worry as much from now on.

If I constantly compared myself to others in regard to keeping fit, I'd end up topping myself! Laughing Gotta face it: I'm not in my 20s, and I've picked up some wear and tear through life. My best is good enough.

Quote:
Sparred with the instructor and got my arse handed to me on a plate Very Happy again Laughing .

I should think so; otherwise, his job would be on the line!

Quote:
Speaking to a work colleague yesterday and I have been invited to attend Judo classes, and it’s on a day that won’t interfere with my normal training sessions. Thumbs Up
I explained that I will never ever ever be in the big boys league or even attend every week and they were okay with that.

Inb4 "I'm typing this from my hospital bed" Laughing

I shouldn't be laughing. Haven't done anything for 4 days now, telling myself it's because I can't get out because of the weather. Yeah, really? What about the indoor training? Wink Rolling Eyes

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
. My best is good enough

:

Quite right, as long as we do our best Thumbs Up

As for the hospital bed, you had better not have put a curse on me Shocked Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

you had better not have put a curse on me Shocked Shocked

I'm more concerned you might be about to put "a curse" on yourself Laughing

But yeah, you go right ahead and blame me if you wind up getting hurt Rolling Eyes Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Going to give the Time Trial a go in the morning.

Off to bed in a mo.

https://bedsroad.org/spoco_results.php?fbclid=IwAR3SYLypHp8jJe0TpYpc5kBIcypNHpnC7htQdPlm1DxqESNWenZGQgFLdIA < I am bib number 7

Well I cycled about 22 miles in the end, including the 10mile TT. Very windy, slowed me right down, but I managed 10 miles in 30:49 so not a disaster considering how much the weather sucked. I don't have a TT bike, just a roadie, but the first time I've done one clipped in with proper shoes, helped a lot.

Off to do more Deliveroo tonight.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for a short run today, felt a bit better about it Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased with myself today. Circuits and weights done before lunch - almost unheard of with me - and then did quite well on my walk/jog this afternoon as well, pushing myself a bit. This after about a week of not doing much and not feeling great, for which I blame the weather.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:49 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to lift 3 x 90kg this morning - admittedly with the trap bar which is a fair bit easier than the straight bar, but progress is progress.. Wink

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was not as positive as recent weeks Sad .

After the warm up and a bit of cardio , we went into the more technical side of what we do.
I found it hard to get things right, I tried and I tried again and then tried again.
I know it will take time, but it’s frustrating when progress is so slow.

No time for sparring last night so no letting off steam.

Later on I will need to complete 1 mile in 12 minutes.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkrun PB by nearly 30 seconds today Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Just a bit concerned with your joints as you say you're getting on. Running is fun but it does cause damage unfortunately. I know a few people now with problems specifically related to running.

*Sigh* You're not wrong. It's definitely aggravating my knee problems. Looks like I might have to give up the idea. So that's cv training out the window Sad

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian pull ups?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Australian pull ups?

Question

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Parkrun PB by nearly 30 seconds today Thumbs Up

Great stuff! That previous little blip didn't set you back too much, did it?

Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 22 of 29