Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Noise cancelling' Earplugs, do they work?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: 'Noise cancelling' Earplugs, do they work? Reply with quote

Another earplug thread I know.
Generally use those orange disposable ones but they do tend to dull all sounds as opposed to just the harmful wind noise.
Came across these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Noise-Cancelling-Ear-Plugs-Hearing-Protection-Music-Concerts-Sleeping-Black/372578576856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=641350850341&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Which look just the same as some similar ones at 3 to 4 times the price. Is there anything special about these ones, do they actually reduce the harmful sounds while allowing you to hear things like road noise and other cars?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:27 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have bits that stick out, You won't be able to get your lid on with those in!

I use Max-Lite earplugs which do tend to absorb the harmful noise but still allow you to hear engine noise, horns, cars, sirens etc.

I'd be surprised if these worked, they are SO cheap...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise reduction on them seems very poor, 20dB

I use these which have 33dB
https://www.moldex.com/product/sparkplugs/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: 'Noise cancelling' Earplugs, do they work? Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
Another earplug thread I know

I like these much better than foam plugs:

https://www.protecdirect.co.uk/Personal-Protective-Equipment-PPE-/Hearing-Protection/Corded-Banded-Ear-Plugs/3M-E-A-R-Ultrafit-Earplugs~p~UF-01-000

Data sheet: https://www.protecdirect.co.uk/medias/sys_master/root/hf4/hcd/8810705584158/UF-01-000.pdf

5 pairs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/143157134109?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D5b65d32a554f440cbbf785ea34b5f6d5%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D14%26sd%3D182330392024%26itm%3D143157134109

You don't have to use the push-in cord, and you can trim the "stalk" if it's in the way. Use for noisy tools, shooting, engine noise etc.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 14:09 - 12 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They have bits that stick out, You won't be able to get your lid on with those in!

disagree

i use something v. similar w/out the cancellation gimmick - they're fine

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: 'Noise cancelling' Earplugs, do they work? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Used them in the past. They are indeed very good but I found they get dirty quickly and I end up losing them all the time.
Could do with one of those small keychain canisters to keep on. Ive ordered the cheap ones in my OP and will see what they're like, even i they suck at least I can use the canister for some better ones

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly does "Noise cancelling" mean, other than "making it sound quieter"? Do I have 'noise-cancelling' index fingers, because they seem to do quite a good job with respect to my kids?

My understanding was that "noise cancelling" referred to electronic wizardry that effectively listened to the ambient sound and then using Physics and stuff, generated a different noise out of phase with the original, and the two sound waves effectively cancel each other out.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
So what exactly does "Noise cancelling" mean, other than "making it sound quieter"? Do I have 'noise-cancelling' index fingers, because they seem to do quite a good job with respect to my kids?

My understanding was that "noise cancelling" referred to electronic wizardry that effectively listened to the ambient sound and then using Physics and stuff, generated a different noise out of phase with the original, and the two sound waves effectively cancel each other out.

From what ive read they're designed to reduce the db of sounds in the harmful frequencies. E.g. concert earplugs just reduce the noise to a safe level but you can still have normal volume conversations and hear the music crystal clear, just quieter.
For £6 its worth a punt, ill write back once ive given them a fair test.

These seem popular:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-21db-Motorbike-Ear-Plugs-Motorcycle-Audio-Shields-by-Klaisen/273225150372?epid=16019464530&hash=item3f9d7cefa4&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduV5qVo4p6YbESayLIwNd0rHu5O5IRpWAFzSGpKWRGGzB6x%2BZAHIzffIF2ymy%2FxtF5DHWmyYqSzcxPaSXvcCHcteBMzcapadAd6M5XojHEqAecubTe6BRsoNn3pivJuNWhAP3VErYjpbTd8MKtY2Ce%2FDjqfxCD9ZclRYaD36cAyYQp2tXUx8HtWhPi8MU%2B%2BH1jmbItuIl9W06n8788bOlJ8okiCOc1xRMZ5MQnnbq5%2F7hPXoFf5HvdFGLom5PuhR8KP3%2FmjSsFRNiBK4N3EcY7fZtaiyQTFUfTC23KNr3wEaZdZITyo3fyOQcNUp5wEpDefgVj84B1DOWdYAdMtqU3OEG8rVDn76ZlfX0v%2FLlqToN3gYyMxRyu%2FK6fhyNX1OfMGxfMXZ15n26gJzchC%2FiZUogGdkc2dtuvPCl8TY7z6s0rYCPmCwksEqzcakEnb%2BcW8E6xZwHwdj%2F%2FRh58dhl%2BER0ge5YJKW6m2VNlTsixrRv4PziqoyOpkTPRu8ajKDxq%2BDig1dn8PP1rc1PyspNdzvAdQpT0vn0vIhTxsgcNE9iFSFUuV73slFDH%2Bnwj1KzxxseKOJetI5zX9rly3SgYNOhDSKjR56LSnXG6pWknm6A0pn7PLRddlE1f%2B6Yau6p4PXns3tmO0bQys9dzjkG%2FpjXh%2Bg%2F6AN%2FtoqODEJOPinP%2Boqjee9qV27uHlT%2B2liwkbtYyJoMWKWmmnWFsBB0v4tq7qOSPn%2FUdaQEKALqrSMoC4igT1u03Zrlctiz%2BhuytWRCD8XUrOn5WbksX4Urfb9q6KDK8UDiQQFih3FvhANfp38JiPN61Ufra9uaImAwKWcAFNkESUob9NgtUCqCTgR62WzfvUhAD81qdlqSrt%2FacyGkRKwFTDkfUcVoUu70UxhEF50Be%2B3dgsx%2FZDQqphcOzRcBT4KMw6InPPRP8kMQffShXVT8wRQWmBjZ73x9H5LQtVQh3%2Bw9jqWA5HKqaIGQ%3D%3D&checksum=27322515037291663f9350f74ac2991dce165e815864&frcectupt=true

But they look like the ones ive ordered just more expensive because its a brand name

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
These seem popular:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273225150372
But they look like the ones ive ordered just more expensive because its a brand name

FTFY Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Leight Max or Max Lite plugs.

Wink

Annoyingly they don't seem to still make the down filled ones because I found those the best.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

Indeed - true noise cancelling requires 'lectronics.. These will just be normal earplugs I reckon.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have proper hearing aids (hereditary deafness) and I've got noise cancelling built into them. Genuine noise cancelling does indeed work but mine were not £6!
I reckon those are more a gimmick and you're paying for the cute container they come in.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

active vs passive

active requires speakers and mics to analyse the sound and produce and inverted wave to cancel it out

passive is sticking some glob in yer ear

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:57 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon?

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Pardon?

EarPal ™

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:15 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

YFPOS®

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

The same frequency at an opposite phase will additively amount to complete silence (the desired outcome), so any circuit that aims to achieve this will have to create the same sound and just play it at a different phase.

No circuit is going to achieve that perfectly, but anything that comes close will have powerful attenuation.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

These might work as earplugs and your ears will be menthol fresh.

https://nosaplugs.com/request-samples/

You're welcome. Mr. Green

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they showed up today.
Opened the packet in full sceptical hippo mode and was greeted with what feels like a pretty well made case. Even has an oring to keep water out. Threads on the lid are very nice. The earplugs themselves go deep into the ear, that tiny bit that sticks out is made of silicone and when its actually in your ear doesnt stick out at all. It just acts as somewhere to grab to pull them out.

Not tried on the bike yet but I put them in and played some PS4 and can honestly say i've never experienced anything like it, and ive tried many different ear plugs.
They seem to block most of the low end freqs, so bass etc is minimal, but higher pitched sounds (like the ticking sound when navigating the PS4 main menu) come thru crystal clear, very weird to experience.

How that will translate on the bike i'll let you know. If nothing else you've got a handy little container to keep your recreational drugs in.
Pics

https://i.imgur.com/BZfFIXO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7WrFsZh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rYB7DnW.jpg

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my molded plugs for yeeeaaarrss. they have a fikter in them and great for listening to earphones in the lid. Apparently they are similar to those that the police use. Got them done at the Bike Show, seemed expensive at the time, but for comfort and durability they are great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy a big box of moldex sparplug pocket packs from one of the industurial tool suppliers (cromwells maybe?) every few years. I'm running low again. They work well. Concert/musician earplugs don't. They let through some of the wind noise frequencies you really need to block.

I'd really like an intercom/blutooth with a "push to hear what the pedestrian is mumbling" button. Shooters' ear defenders do this, but duck out over a certain limit.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took delivery of a set of Klaisen plugs today.
Not tried them out on the bike yet or near loud noises but they are very comfortable and block out all background sound while being able to hear people speaking perfectly.
A bit like having a conversation in a soundproof room.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chance to test them out and short answer is I would recommend.
They do seem to do a better job of 'taking the edge off' wind/engine noise whilst still allowing you to clearly hear things such as traffic passing by, traffic lights beeping, self checkout voices, human voices etc so you can fairly comfortably have a conversation and hear the other person without removing them.

I would not recommend them for very long distance riding say over 100 miles on motorways as there are plugs out there which block a wider frequency of sounds which would be beneficial for long distance riding. Thankfully there is enough room in the provided canister to fit a second pair, so choose some other earplugs which block almost everything out and stick them in there for long distance rides.

For daily commutes and in city riding these are ideal as they do allow you to hear more of whats going around you.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend these guys: https://www.ultimateear.com/

I bought the custom made ear plugs which are also headphones, best £190 i spent, you cant hear anything not even sirens which thus means you need to be more alert of your surroundings, but if you hear sirens on the motorway then your either dying from a crash or you have the police chasing you for speeding unintentionally
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1