Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ohhh fuuuu.... Street Triple fuel pipe connector

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Ohhh fuuuu.... Street Triple fuel pipe connector Reply with quote

Dammitshitfuckitandcunt.

So, went to replace the air filter on the Triple today...undo the tank bolts and lift up the tank. Bit of resistance that i think is the fuel pipe, so move that out of the way and try again..and...snapping sound.

There's a plastic elbow from the pump under the tank, connected to the fuel line. Bloody thing has snapped.

Where it snapped;
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/1.jpg

The bit that goes into the fuel pipe;
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/2.jpg

Holding it to where it should be;
https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/3.jpg

Called Hughenden and asked about a replacement, but to me it looks like it's part of the pump. Only 400 and something for a new pump... Crying or Very sad

One of the guys is going to call back to see if there's a way of fixing it. I'm hoping that as it seems to be quite common, maybe there's a connector available that can just bolt on in place of it. Fingers crossed...

If not, anyone else had a similar issue and managed to fix it somehow?

Gutted as i'm off this week and was looking forward to lots of rideouts, working on a new baffle config, and was really looking forward to taking my daughter out for a spin as she's over for a rare visit from her uni in Germany. Fuck.

Stupid bloody design, i have to say. Evil or Very Mad

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this one, also broken, I'd say it would be a simple job to drill and tap a fitting into the base housing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Street-Triple-R-675-ABS-2016-Fuel-Pump-Petrol-Gas-spares-442/132962438146

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a good idea:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-STREET-TRIPLE-675-2015-PETROL-FUEL-PUMP-Tiger-800-800xc/254151994447?hash=item3b2ca3ac4f:g:xJIAAOSwWlxcfszv

It looks the same from the label.... & it's a "buy it now".

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pete.

The guy at Hughenden called back. It is part of the pump and no, they don't have any type of straightforward fix for it. I talked about fitting another elbow somehow but he strongly recommended i just buy a new (or used but not broken) one, as the pressure the fuel is under is a lot.

Found this on the ebay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Street-Triple-675-2007-Fuel-Pump-Petrol-Gas-456/192855081138

so now i'm thinking do i shell out 70 quid and get it here by Friday, so i have at least 1 day i can go for a ride in me hols, or do i try and bodge it myself for a lot less and can ride sooner, but be constantly worried that it'll leak, start a fire and i lose the bike.

Hmm. Shee-it. Stupid bloody elbow..grrrrr.....

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
This might be a good idea:

Unfortunately, according to the Triumph guy, those Denso ones won't fit Sad Has to be the previous type (as in my link above).

Edit: i may have that wrong as i've just found the one on there is a Denso. Will have to check part numbers...

Edit2: Yup, different part numbers Sad What i need is a T2401977

Always the way, if there's two similar things with a big price difference, i always need the expensive one!

Edit3: Sod it. Ordered the one off ebay. Spoke to the guy there and he assured me it'll arrive on thursday. They use DPD so i'm pretty sure it will.

That's a £70 mistake i won't be making again.

Edit4: What i think i'll do is see if i can tap a fixing into the old one when it's out, as Pete suggests, and if i can do it well enough, put it back in and sell on the newer one.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Edit3: Sod it. Ordered the one off ebay. Spoke to the guy there and he assured me it'll arrive on thursday. They use DPD so i'm pretty sure it will.

That's a £70 mistake i won't be making again.

Edit4: What i think i'll do is see if i can tap a fixing into the old one when it's out, as Pete suggests, and if i can do it well enough, put it back in and sell on the newer one.

That's odd, I can't see any difference between the one in Pete's link and the one in mine. Do you think the numbers are different manufacturing versions? Anyway, you'll see when you get it.

Fixing the original would be good, Fixing things is good. Perhaps you could tap into the end of the protuding pipe rather than cut the whole thing off?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:02 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Triumph didn't learn from their mistakes! Speed Fours were subject to a recall for Plastic fuel connectors cracking.

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=66429B462B7A4FA300256E8A00319879&freeText=Blank&tx=

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
I talked about fitting another elbow somehow but he strongly recommended i just buy a new (or used but not broken) one, as the pressure the fuel is under is a lot.

Bullshit. 47psi is standard. If you put that in your tyre you can easily stop the air leaking by putting your finger on the valve hole.

I snapped the top off the injector cap on my BMW and repaired it in just the same way, ran a tap down the hole and ran a die down a barb. If you looked at my bike you'd see one plastic barb and one metal one.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
That's odd, I can't see any difference between the one in Pete's link and the one in mine. Do you think the numbers are different manufacturing versions? Anyway, you'll see when you get it.

I'm not sure myself..i did read somewhere that certain ones don't have the Low Fuel warning, so maybe it's just that? Don't want to risk getting the wrong one though, or i'll be off the road for my entire time off and/or have to shell out for another one if it didn't fit. At least this way i should definitely be running again on thursday.Praying

Quote:
Perhaps you could tap into the end of the protuding pipe rather than cut the whole thing off?

That's what i'm thinking. Then, if i cock that up, i can always try doing how Pete did it and tap into the base directly.

chris-red wrote:
Seems like Triumph didn't learn from their mistakes!

Haha..yeah..well, this is slightly different in that i broke it, rather than it just broke itself. But that said, having a sticky out bit of weak plastic that catches on the tank when you lift it up is a pretty daft way of doing it. It would have been simpler and safer to have a straight down vertical connection, or one that if it should break, isn't an irreplaceable part of the fuel pump!

Pete wrote:
Bullshit. 47psi is standard. If you put that in your tyre you can easily stop the air leaking by putting your finger on the valve hole.

To be fair, on reflection he did say he mentioned it to cover himself, just in case i ended up stuck on a 100mph ball of flame. And he was very helpful, even finding the part on ebay for me. Smile

Quote:
I snapped the top off the injector cap on my BMW and repaired it in just the same way, ran a tap down the hole and ran a die down a barb. If you looked at my bike you'd see one plastic barb and one metal one.

Ah, so...do you mean you didn't use an extra fixing, just modded the bits you had? It's just i was going to ask where to look for suitable types of fixings...

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, while it was all off i noticed this connector going nowhere.

Is it original equipment for an add-on i don't have..or possibly where an alarm/mobiliser has been fitted before..? Kinda looks like a fuse holder or something too, perhaps.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/connector.jpg

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Incidentally, while it was all off i noticed this connector going nowhere.

Is it original equipment for an add-on i don't have..or possibly where an alarm/mobiliser has been fitted before..? Kinda looks like a fuse holder or something too, perhaps.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/connector.jpg

I don't know what it's for, but I can tell you that's not a fuse holder, it's one half of an electrical connector, the bent wire is a spring clip that holds the two halves together.

Normally, the other half would be solidly mounted, not on a tail, so I would be looking for some sort of component that is missing some wiring.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:59 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the evap solenoid connector. Not fitted to EU bike so don't worry about it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:

Ah, so...do you mean you didn't use an extra fixing, just modded the bits you had? It's just i was going to ask where to look for suitable types of fixings...

I actually had a suitable elbow-piece, but if I didn't I would have made one.

You have a lathe, find a bit of brass and knock one up.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but I will say that's an incredibly bad design on the connector. The length of pipe going sideways adds lots of leverage and the lack of webs (they're tiny) on the bend makes for big problems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the last 2 or 3mm off the stump. Congratulations, you now have a straight hose-tail. fit a bit of thick fuel hose to it with a jubilee clip.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Cut the last 2 or 3mm off the stump. Congratulations, you now have a straight hose-tail. fit a bit of thick fuel hose to it with a jubilee clip.

I didn't know whether to say "cool", "underrated", "helpful", "informative" or just "I agree".....

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Have plenty of brass, the thing i'm desperately short of is expertise Smile But yes, that's what i need to do i think. Plan is to fix the original, and fix it so i don't need to worry everytime i need to pull up the tank, and put the 'new' one back on t'ebay.

Sister Sledge. wrote:
but I will say that's an incredibly bad design on the connector.

Yup, don't know why they thought that was a good idea. Wouldn't be so bad if the elbow wasn't part of the pump and you could just buy a new elbow and fit it if you do break it. Luckily everything else on it seems to be designed really well Smile Oh, except for a tiny hook thing on the pump itself that makes it really difficult to get the pump out of the tank. It doesn't appear to have any purpose, other than making life more difficult than it needs to be.

Stinkwheel wrote:

The only minor issue is that the fuel pipe isn't very flexible at all at that end, and i'm not sure there's much room in there to accommodate a vertical connection (have to see next time i take the tank off). Not that it wouldn't work of course, but an elbow would mean the existing pipe wouldn't be under any stress.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Have plenty of brass, the thing i'm desperately short of is expertise Smile But yes, that's what i need to do i think. Plan is to fix the original, and fix it so i don't need to worry everytime i need to pull up the tank, and put the 'new' one back on t'ebay.

How big is it? The internal diameter of the piece of white plastic "pipe" sticking out of the base, I mean.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How big is it? The internal diameter of the piece of white plastic "pipe" sticking out of the base, I mean.

Bit late now, i guess, but think it's a 4-5 ml hole. Smile

Anyway. Tis' all done now. The original plan was to use the following..

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/1a.jpg

I was going to turn down some of the white plastic bar into a sleeve to fit the fuel pipe end connector, and as the brass elbow is 10ml, shave a couple of mil off the fuel stub too. Made a cap out of some solid steel bar, and then cut teeth at the end, and then maybe weld an arbour on the other for a drill to attach. (Didn't have a 12ml ID hole cutter)

But, after shaving the stub to 10ml a little bit, i was concerned that it might make the stub too weak. Quite a difference between 12 and 10. So, instead i cut the diy teeth off the diy holecutter/cap, drilled a hole at the top of it, and welded on a short length of 6ml SS tube. Resulting in this...

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/2a.jpg

You can tell i was wearing my glasses when welding the tube on, and not when welding to the washer... Still, the washer is only there as a little insurance, so i didn't worry about it too much.

Here you can see the stub ready for the cap, and how the original male connector bit looks. I wanted to use the original male connection rather than try and make one, as well as giving it a bit of wiggle room for the future by using a short length of fuel pipe.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/3a.jpg

Here's how it looks, now epoxied, and compared to the standard one. However, those with an eagle eye will see the mistake i've made at this point... Smile

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/4a.jpg

While i was at it, thought i'd better change the plugs..something i've been avoiding for a while as it looked a bit of a tricky job. It was a bit tricky, but not as bad as i thought.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/5a.jpg

Here's the old plugs. Don't look too bad, bit lean if anything i think, but no concerns really. Made a big difference though, engine feels noticeably crisper now.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/6a.jpg

The other problem i've had since changing the fuel pump last time is the tank vacuuming, that horrible thing when you open up the fuel cap and there's air rushing in and the sides of the tank pop out again. Gave both lines a blast with the compressor, and one of them made a popping sound, after which the air flowed freely. I've either dislodged some crap in the line, or broken something...but it all runs sweetly and no vacuum anymore so it must've worked. Thumbs UpVery Happy

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/7a.jpg

Here's the pump back in the tank, and those who spotted the fact that i hadn't cut enough off the base washer to clear the ally flange/holding ring/whateveritscalled will see that i ended up having to cut the flange to fit the washer. I had meant to cut that bit off, but only remembered as i pressed the now-epoxied cap onto the pump. If my dremel was working i'd have cut the slice off in situ, and levered it off so i didn't need to cut the ring, but the dremel gave up the ghost for some reason and didn't want to chance it with the big drill.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/8a.jpg

Annoyed at myself for forgetting to do the cut before i fixed it onto the stub tbh, but the important thing it's all good and working, so i can bear a bit of unseen untidyness in this case.

Try snapping off now, y'bastard! Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Bit late now, i guess, but think it's a 4-5 ml hole. Smile

Anyway. Tis' all done now. The original plan was to use the following..

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/1a.jpg

I was going to turn down some of the white plastic bar into a sleeve to fit the fuel pipe end connector, and as the brass elbow is 10ml, shave a couple of mil off the fuel stub too. Made a cap out of some solid steel bar, and then cut teeth at the end, and then maybe weld an arbour on the other for a drill to attach. (Didn't have a 12ml ID hole cutter)

But, after shaving the stub to 10ml a little bit, i was concerned that it might make the stub too weak. Quite a difference between 12 and 10. So, instead i cut the diy teeth off the diy holecutter/cap, drilled a hole at the top of it, and welded on a short length of 6ml SS tube. Resulting in this...

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/2a.jpg

You can tell i was wearing my glasses when welding the tube on, and not when welding to the washer... Still, the washer is only there as a little insurance, so i didn't worry about it too much.

Here you can see the stub ready for the cap, and how the original male connector bit looks. I wanted to use the original male connection rather than try and make one, as well as giving it a bit of wiggle room for the future by using a short length of fuel pipe.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/3a.jpg

Here's how it looks, now epoxied, and compared to the standard one. However, those with an eagle eye will see the mistake i've made at this point... Smile

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/4a.jpg

While i was at it, thought i'd better change the plugs..something i've been avoiding for a while as it looked a bit of a tricky job. It was a bit tricky, but not as bad as i thought.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/5a.jpg

Here's the old plugs. Don't look too bad, bit lean if anything i think, but no concerns really. Made a big difference though, engine feels noticeably crisper now.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/6a.jpg

The other problem i've had since changing the fuel pump last time is the tank vacuuming, that horrible thing when you open up the fuel cap and there's air rushing in and the sides of the tank pop out again. Gave both lines a blast with the compressor, and one of them made a popping sound, after which the air flowed freely. I've either dislodged some crap in the line, or broken something...but it all runs sweetly and no vacuum anymore so it must've worked. Thumbs UpVery Happy

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/7a.jpg

Here's the pump back in the tank, and those who spotted the fact that i hadn't cut enough off the base washer to clear the ally flange/holding ring/whateveritscalled will see that i ended up having to cut the flange to fit the washer. I had meant to cut that bit off, but only remembered as i pressed the now-epoxied cap onto the pump. If my dremel was working i'd have cut the slice off in situ, and levered it off so i didn't need to cut the ring, but the dremel gave up the ghost for some reason and didn't want to chance it with the big drill.

https://www.planetash.net/bcf/fuelelbow/8a.jpg

Annoyed at myself for forgetting to do the cut before i fixed it onto the stub tbh, but the important thing it's all good and working, so i can bear a bit of unseen untidyness in this case.

Try snapping off now, y'bastard! Laughing

That's just plain heroic Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:00 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ve done a great repair job there. Well done fella.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1