Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV soundbar and alternatives.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: TV soundbar and alternatives. Reply with quote

I'm just about to by a new 4k TV and I was going to choose a compact wireless/Bluetooth soundbar without a separate Sub.

Is wireless ok? As I've heard that you should used only wired connection to soundbars to eliminate interference? If wireless is ok, then is there any reason why I can't buy a Bluetooth wireless speaker of around 60w and use that instead of a soundbar?

Sorry for the Noob question, but I know nothing about surround sound and soundbars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following; just moved and I'm going to flog the surround system and sub - I'll be shopping for a soundbar soon.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a Samsung TV and soundbar for xmas, used it wireless initially (bluetooth) but found that the sound lagged the picture by a fraction but noticable enough. We bought a 5quid cable and that sorted it.

Make sure you're remotes are compatible, the chap in PC world told us that some makes (LG and Panasonic I think) wont work together so you end up with two remotes, and some units also didn't switch the TV speaker off automatically so you ended up with ghosting unless you set it manually each time you put the TV on.

With regards to buying bluetooth speakers....no idea. Thumbs Up

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use optical connection.
Wireless will give lag as mentioned already.
Some good advice here.
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-4Nbb3ehCTNq/learn/sound-bar-connection-and-setup-guide.html

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:09 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth audio is compressed quite a bit so what you'll gain in sound quality you'll lose in compression artifacts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait see how it sounds without, some of them have pretty sophisticated adjustment and presets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A soundbar is usually much better than the native TV speakers, especially with a separate sub-woofer. The main unit is usually located right under the TV, so wireless is somewhat redundant - I run mine through HDMI with audio return (ARC). A wireless sub-woofer is useful as you don't have to place this by the TV so can put it anywhere.

That said, if you have a wireless speaker of any kind why not try it out? As above there could be lag and/or quality issues associated with encoding and decoding. You may be able to find an audio setting to shift the audio phasing if this does show up.

However, I'd go for a wired soundbar with wireless sub-woofer. My LG one will also act as a wireless speaker for phone/iPad etc.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer the optical (toslink) connection and I also do not like Bluetooth audio. The next best thing would be HDMI. I also still enjoy RCA (mainly for stereo setups), however manufacturers just don't use that anymore.

But, to your question, I do believe that things that are supposed to be stationary, shouldn't use batteries and/or wireless signals, unless it's necessary. Not only wireless (and batteries) makes the devices more expensive, they also could be somewhat inconvenient.

Interference = optical audio signal does not suffer from interference. It either works or it doesn't.

NOTE: The optical (toslink) cable is quite brittle and you can't make it do sharp turns.

Soundbars = Yes, they do work and are a convenient solution. There's no need to go crazy though. I got my father Sony HRT3 and it is more than satisfactory.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be negative, but do you really want a soundbar? My bro-in-law has a Bose one and it sounds weird. IMO not as good as my set-up which was half the price (used £30 pioneer amp, new tannoy floor standers which we £99). Very good Bass, sound comes from each side and sounds more natural, plus you get a better stereo sound.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:09 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
As daft as it sounds, a decent set of pc speakers with a sub and tweeters can sound very impressive on a tv.

I just have a 2+1 set plugged in the headphone socket. The bass has to be kept low because it’s a lot richer than you’d expect fir £30.

Agreed, I had a nice Logitech set with sub and it was real nice.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a soundbar about 14 months ago, it's connected to the USB port for power and plugged into the headphone socket.

I bought it from Amazon, it was £22 at the time (now £25) but the
sound quality is actually better than the TV's own speakers. The TV is
an old LCD TV which has decent speakers. The only reason I got the
soundbar was because when the TV packs up and I get a new one, the
latest TV's now LED come with crap speakers. (unless you spend shit
loads of cash)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZWBFAT/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or

Buy 2 heavy speaker stands (spiked feet).

Buy 2 powered *monitors (each unit has 2 amps each driving their own speaker).

Enjoy the best sound quality.

5" woofer smaller room.
8" woofer for bigger rooms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice if you really want to go for a soundbar is to forget TV brands, they are shite in comparison to soundbars from Sonos. Either buy one or listen to your TV speakers whilst saving for one.

Dont compromise, you'll regret it otherwise.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old LG TV sound was poo so I bought an LG soundbar to enhance things.
This worked well, I was pleased with the overall improvement.
Then I bought a new 4k LG telly and the sound quality from it is such that the old soundbar is now redundant.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:26 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to be in Morrisons one day and found a Samsung soundbar and separate woofer for around £100 I think.

Without a doubt, probably the best £100 quid I've ever spent on tech. It improved the Samsung TV no end. It massively helps that the soundbar automatically syncs to the TV remote on the 1st fire up, I've since ditched the soundbars' remote.

As a powerful Bluetooth speaker, the soundbar also comes in handy as a speaker in its own right .....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1