Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR1200 or ST1300

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:18 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: VFR1200 or ST1300 Reply with quote

I'll be doing my first European tour this coming July and I'm thinking of taking my worn out gen 5 VFR to prove it can do it or, spend some cash on a VFR 1200 or a pan European route is Calais to Spain and back.

Has anyone experience of the VFR or the ST on long distance runs? Which is the better bike?

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 11:31 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either would be a good choice. I have the 1100 Pan and its amazing. The pan has a more laid back riding position than the VFR, so may be better for long distance. IT has a large tank size and better wind protection.

The ST1300 is slightly further forward riding position to the 11 but should be more upright than the vfr.

depending on the VFR, if its fuel injected it may be a bit snappy. I know someone who has both a pan and VFR and found the VFR a bit too snappy on the throttle and required a power commander, and a remap to smooth the ranges out to make easier to ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFR1200 (I found) was quite disappointing for the price tag. For a big V4 you'll find yourself missing the Gen5 for sure, it has no real 'oomph' to it.

For touring Honda strangely made the luggage capacity smaller than the 800, rather markedly so. It doesn't have as good range and the DCT is just an added farkle to fuck up on a long distance journey.

That and it's fuck ugly.

MEM62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:39 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, and a little off-topic, Calais to Spain is ZZZZzzzzzzz........ Instead of two or three days hauling your backside through France, spend 24 hours on the ferry and arrive in Bilbao or Santander where you ride off the ship great into the wonderful roads on Northern Spain.

As for the bike, if you love the VFR and you think it's capable why not take it? If you are going to change it test-ride both the bikes that you are interested in and add a 1200RT to the list of potentials. Yeah, I know! It's and old mans bike but, it is awesome at covering distances and I guarantee it will surprise you.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlesss your Gen 5 has well north of 100K, it's not worn out. I'd happily take my 4th gen with 114K on it, probably will do some part of Europe at some point in the summer, assuming we don't get fucked over by the impending political shitstorm.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a VFR 1200. if you like the looks go for it. There is apparently a restriction in second gear as it maybe has too much torque. If you get that fixed then it is an amazing bike. Tends itself to sportiness with saddle bags.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:22 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marm managed to leave me behind on his pan when I was on the Fzr....

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Marm managed to leave me behind on his pan when I was on the Fzr....

Once you get used to them, you can really hustle them along and Marm's done so many miles on them, it must be second nature to him.

I found I was always aware of the weight, which was a bit higher up than I really wanted it to be (it was one of those bikes you sit on, rather than in) but that weight probably helps it to feel pretty sure footed in most conditions.

I'll be honest, I pedalled an ST1100 for 2 years and I wouldn't have another one (if I wanted a pure mile munching super tourer, I would probably go for another Gold Wing of some sort) but that's not to say the Pan is a bad bike, just not for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1